This guy knows what Geno's recruiting problem is... | The Boneyard

This guy knows what Geno's recruiting problem is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
What an absolutely vapid piece of garbage.

First of all, I can guarantee you Geno and CD have forgotten more about recruiting, marketing, and position that this dufus will ever know. And they have updated their approaches to recruiting and their messaging significantly over the years. You don't have the run of success UConn has had by operating the same way and recruiting the same way for 20+ years.

Secondly, how does he know why specifically Diamond and Taya went elsewhere?

Thirdly, yes, UConn is rural and remote. Despite this, UConn has had success attracting top basketball players from all over the country, including warm and urban locations.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
What an absolutely vapid piece of garbage.

First of all, I can guarantee you Geno and CD have forgotten more about recruiting, marketing, and position that this dufus will ever know. And they have updated their approaches to recruiting and their messaging significantly over the years. You don't have the run of success UConn has had by operating the same way and recruiting the same way for 20+ years.

Secondly, how does he know why specifically Diamond and Taya went elsewhere?

Thirdly, yes, UConn is rural and remote. Despite this, UConn has had success attracting top basketball players from all over the country, including warm and urban locations.
I thought the BY would get a kick out of this waste of space....

HGN

Reaction Score
Shows just how much this author knows......He said that UConn recently lost 2 recruits to the University of North Carolina , Diamond DeShields and Taya Reimer........Reimer committed to ND.

Some kids may indeed prefer the night life , bright lights , and the big city. And if thats what they're looking for , then they should commit elsewhere. Because they will soon be in trouble with the team and the university anyway. And these tend not to be the type of kids GA and CD want.

Also, please note that the author of the article is based out of, and lives in Seattle , Washington.....A real South Beach mecca.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
So, somebody with no obvious connection whatsoever to WBB, sitting on his mountain bike outside of Seattle, is writing an article about UConn's need to update their approach to recruiting? Don't you need to have some sort of semblance of qualification to get published these days?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
If you drop out the Uconn references (which the author put in just as a tie to his theme) the article is correct but rather boring. Not only universities, but prep schools, have been using business strategies in marketing their product to both all students and to specific 'classes' of students including athletes. This is a B2B publication so the real point of the article is to suggest to marketing firms that they target local schools as potential clients.

Reaction Score
If you drop out the Uconn references (which the author put in just as a tie to his theme) the article is correct but rather boring. Not only universities, but prep schools, have been using business strategies in marketing their product to both all students and to specific 'classes' of students including athletes. This is a B2B publication so the real point of the article is to suggest to marketing firms that they target local schools as potential clients.

Reaction Score
It's called The-Too-Much-Starbucks-Syndrome. It is mental and can be quite serious.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I have worked in marketing and advertising since 1980 (If I had been a business major instead of liberal arts, I could tell you how many years that is.) Our business has always been overflowing with "experts" who write baseless, ill-informed and foolish articles, expressing opinions to build a resume, attract business or promote their careers. Unfortunately, the number of communications channels hungry for content has made it easer than ever for these folks to find a forum. If you check this guy out on Linked-In you will see the experience that makes him an expert marketer: two months as a social media analyst, eight months as a social media strategist, 19 months programming for search engine optimization and 22 months as an "Internet Coach." His total education listed is a Certificate in Web Development from an IT trade school. So his marketing experience and expertise is formatting websites to come in at the top of search results and deciding what to tweet -- hardly a resume that supports making overall marketing proclamations. In fact, I would assert that he has zero qualifications to write an article on anything to do with marketing. It's like asking the guard who checks you in at Hartford Hospital which suturing technique he recommends when working around the anterior vena cava. Add in the fact that he has no insights into how UConn or any other college actually recruits, and you see that the story is really nothing more than a waste of pixels.

I think a marketing study of college recruiting techniques, campus attractions and other variables would be very interesting. But this is not that.

Reaction Score
I am not marketing expert but I for one, know that now having a TV exposure in the greater New York area, with a exposure to over one million plus viewers & sports fans is a definite plus. As to where the students hang out in their free time, with their supposedly study's, pick-up games & travel, where is all this free time?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The author very graciously (or gratuitously) allows that "UConn wcbb will survive." WHEW!

I recall what Diana said, when asked "What do you do in Storrs?" She nailed it. "We win national championships."

There are also those occasional trips to Europe, the Virgin Islands, and a national schedule. And the White House. Just none to Knoxville.

Reaction Score
Shows just how much this author knows......He said that UConn recently lost 2 recruits to the University of North Carolina , Diamond DeShields and Taya Reimer........Reimer committed to ND.

Some kids may indeed prefer the night life , bright lights , and the big city. And if thats what they're looking for , then they should commit elsewhere. Because they will soon be in trouble with the team and the university anyway. And these tend not to be the type of kids GA and CD want.

Also, please note that the author of the article is based out of, and lives in Seattle , Washington.....A real South Beach mecca.

I stopped reading as soon as he said that Taya Reimer was going to North Carolina with Diamond DeShields. It would have been nice if he had his facts straight.

Reaction Score
Thanks for doing the research.

I thought it sounded like somebody who had, "Recently read a book about marketing" and was, now, trying to sell his ideas. BINGO!

That would barely earn a passing grade if submitted in a Mktg 101 course - with the comment "DUH! Needs more work."

I have worked in marketing and advertising since 1980 (If I had been a business major instead of liberal arts, I could tell you how many years that is.) Our business has always been overflowing with "experts" who write baseless, ill-informed and foolish articles, expressing opinions to build a resume, attract business or promote their careers. Unfortunately, the number of communications channels hungry for content has made it easer than ever for these folks to find a forum. If you check this guy out on Linked-In you will see the experience that makes him an expert marketer: two months as a social media analyst, eight months as a social media strategist, 19 months programming for search engine optimization and 22 months as an "Internet Coach." His total education listed is a Certificate in Web Development from an IT trade school. So his marketing experience and expertise is formatting websites to come in at the top of search results and deciding what to tweet -- hardly a resume that supports making overall marketing proclamations. In fact, I would assert that he has zero qualifications to write an article on anything to do with marketing. It's like asking the guard who checks you in at Hartford Hospital which suturing technique he recommends when working around the anterior vena cava. Add in the fact that he has no insights into how UConn or any other college actually recruits, and you see that the story is really nothing more than a waste of pixels.

I think a marketing study of college recruiting techniques, campus attractions and other variables would be very interesting. But this is not that.

Reaction Score
There's a big difference between marketing to populations of millions on-line and trying to attract 3 or 4 specific individuals.

" Today’s student population is much more diverse, not only in terms of ethnic background but also in terms of age. The new approach to recruiting involves tactics that are similar to business marketing. For instance, universities have to know what elements of the school are attractive to recruits and which elements of the school are turnoffs. To succeed, universities have to develop research-tested answers to potential turnoffs if they intend to recruit top talent to their schools."

This sounds like an effective strategy to sell millions of cars to a diverse population (or attracting a large population to enroll at your school but when the target audience is a half dozen people who are likely to know each other then having a different story for each one could lead to difficulties when they compare notes with each other. To my way of thinking one of the biggest factors in a recruit's decision is trust. Talking like a car salesman is not exactly a smart way to build trust.

The author of the article seems to think that UConn never loses recruits. That and the Reimer gaff says a lot about his research. He also thinks UConn is in the middle of nowhere. While Storrs is in the middle of a rural area of Conn. Boston is an hour and a half away in one direction and NYC is 2 hours in the other. Compare that to what you find an hour or 2 from Knoxville or Chapel Hill or Waco. And as someone stated in another post, if a recruit has social life high on their list then they probably aren't Husky material.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The author of the article seems to think that UConn never loses recruits. That and the Reimer gaff says a lot about his research. He also thinks UConn is in the middle of nowhere. While Storrs is in the middle of a rural area of Conn. Boston is an hour and a half away in one direction and NYC is 2 hours in the other. Compare that to what you find an hour or 2 from Knoxville or Chapel Hill or Waco. And as someone stated in another post, if a recruit has social life high on their list then they probably aren't Husky material.

I know the guy thinks Reimer chose UNC, but there isn't a lot going on in South Bend, IN.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Just out of curiosity, what the heck is an "Internet Coach"?

grizz36

Misabe Mukwa
Reaction Score

Whaaat? You've never watched an internet game on ESPN? Almost as exciting as NASCAR.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
"Inter" means between and "nets" are nets. Holy crap, how did I miss it?!?!?! He was a coach for something that goes on between nets. Basketball games occur between nets. Therefore he could coach basketball. That explains the authoritative tone of the article and his spot-on his insight into the mindsets of basketball players. How could I have missed that?

Reaction Score
student athletes are so busy I doubt they have much time to spend off campus

he lost me at Reimer to UNC

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
So, somebody with no obvious connection whatsoever to WBB, sitting on his mountain bike outside of Seattle, is writing an article about UConn's need to update their approach to recruiting? Don't you need to have some sort of semblance of qualification to get published these days?

And an impressive mountain it is, even if the sitter isn't

Reaction Score
Silly article; but, I'll bite.

To assure future recruiting success, Uconn should set up two satellite campuses, just for the basketball teams - one in Manhattan next to the Garden (practice facility) for the spring semester, one in San Francisco for the fall semester (or why not Paris or Rome?), and take summer classes at Uconn. Part of a future deal for basketball TV/Cable rights would include a private team plane.

Or why not just use tutors and classes through the internet, and stay at fancy hotels and cruise ships?

Is that creative enough for that idiot. Actually, Geno might like the idea.

Reaction Score
Some yahoo needs a story, sees headlines that UConn lost to prized recruits and puts together some garbage. I do hope it goes in his resume with the obvious addendum sticky-note that he has no clue about UConn's excellent high level recruiting program.

Reaction Score
"Inter" means between and "nets" are nets. Holy crap, how did I miss it?!?!?! He was a coach for something that goes on between nets. Basketball games occur between nets. Therefore he could coach basketball. That explains the authoritative tone of the article and his spot-on his insight into the mindsets of basketball players. How could I have missed that?
No, no, no. It's the other inter - To place in a grave, to bury, as in interred. So internet coach is someone who teaches people to bury old nets. A booming industry.

Reaction Score

I've worked in some form of communications or another for 40 years, the last 15 of them in roles that include the word "marketing" in the title. I swear I was going to write the response that FairView wrote. But he/she did the research on the idiot writer for me. Great post -- true, every word of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom