This fan since 1963 needs an update. | The Boneyard

This fan since 1963 needs an update.

Reaction Score
My wife and I have been avid fans fo 50+ years. We moved to NC almost 10 years ago, but have still followed the huskies.
We have gone to games when they are with reach and two final fours. There will be less of that as we are in our 80's.
However, with all the recent comings and goings of players, I have lost track of where we stand for next season.

Can someone please summarize who we will have (besides K, J, and D) and how good we are expected to be?

many thanks,

Reaction Score
My wife and I have been avid fans fo 50+ years. We moved to NC almost 10 years ago, but have still followed the huskies.
We have gone to games when they are with reach and two final fours. There will be less of that as we are in our 80's.
However, with all the recent comings and goings of players, I have lost track of where we stand for next season.

Can someone please summarize who we will have (besides K, J, and D) and how good we are expected to be?

many thanks,
Here’s the scholarship grid for next year:

My hunch is that our starting 5 will be:

PG: Diarra (returning for his final year)
SG: Aidan Mahaney (junior transfer from St. Mary’s — we played them in the 2023 tourney when he was a freshman. Shooter/ball-handler)
SF: Liam McNeely (freshman; 5-star, top 15 recruit. 6-foot-7 sniper with some passing chops; plays hard and a little mean)
PF: Karaban (returns for his junior year after pulling out of the draft)
C: Tarris Reed (6-10, 260 lb massive center; junior transfer from Michigan. Was a top 30 recruit in the same class as Clingan, but didn’t develop. Old school, bang in the post guy but has skills)

Our top reserves:

PG: Ahmad Nowell (freshman from Philly. Built like a linebacker and tough as nails. Borderline 5-star recruit. Has some rough edges that’ll need to be sanded down)
SG: Solo Ball (lefty shooter back for his sophomore year)
F: Jaylin Stewart (6-8 sophomore could easily win a starting job over McNeely. Really started to break out down the stretch last year)
C: Samson Johnson (back for his final year)

Deep reserves:

SG: Jayden Ross (sophomore with shooting potential)
PF: Isaiah Abraham (freshman hustle guy)
C: Youssuf Singare (lanky sophomore project)

From last year’s team we lost:
Tristen Newton and Cam Spencer, both likely to be picked in the 2nd round of the NBA draft at the end of the month.
Stephon Castle, who declared after his freshman season and will be a lottery pick. Lots have him going No. 4 to the spurs.
Donovan Clingan, who declared after his sophomore year and is going to be a high lottery pick. Has a chance to be the first UConn player taken No. 1
Apostolos Romoglou, the Greek shooter who didn’t play much. He transferred.

Hope that helps!

EDIT: We’re expected to be a top 10 team next year, maybe top 5. A lot of it comes down to how good Mahaney, McNeely and Reed will be.

I’m a little more bearish. I think Tristen is going to be tough to replace, even in the aggregate.

Reaction Score

many thanks,

You have been fans for 60+ years.

Much respect.

Reaction Score
Here’s the scholarship grid for next year:

My hunch is that our starting 5 will be:

PG: Diarra (returning for his final year)
SG: Aidan Mahaney (junior transfer from St. Mary’s — we played them in the 2023 tourney when he was a freshman. Shooter/ball-handler)
SF: Liam McNeely (freshman; 5-star, top 15 recruit. 6-foot-7 sniper with some passing chops; plays hard and a little mean)
PF: Karaban (returns for his junior year after pulling out of the draft)
C: Tarris Reed (6-10, 260 lb massive center; junior transfer from Michigan. Was a top 30 recruit in the same class as Clingan, but didn’t develop. Old school, bang in the post guy but has skills)

Our top reserves:

PG: Ahmad Nowell (freshman from Philly. Built like a linebacker and tough as nails. Borderline 5-star recruit. Has some rough edges that’ll need to be sanded down)
SG: Solo Ball (lefty shooter back for his sophomore year)
F: Jaylin Stewart (6-8 sophomore could easily win a starting job over McNeely. Really started to break out down the stretch last year)
C: Samson Johnson (back for his final year)

Deep reserves:

SG: Jayden Ross (sophomore with shooting potential)
PF: Isaiah Abraham (freshman hustle guy)
C: Youssuf Singare (lanky sophomore project)

From last year’s team we lost:
Tristen Newton and Cam Spencer, both likely to be picked in the 2nd round of the NBA draft at the end of the month.
Stephon Castle, who declared after his freshman season and will be a lottery pick. Lots have him going No. 4 to the spurs.
Donovan Clingan, who declared after his sophomore year and is going to be a high lottery pick. Has a chance to be the first UConn player taken No. 1
Apostolos Romoglou, the Greek shooter who didn’t play much. He transferred.

Hope that helps!

EDIT: We’re expected to be a top 10 team next year, maybe top 5. A lot of it comes down to how good Mahaney, McNeely and Reed will be.

I’m a little more bearish. I think Tristen is going to be tough to replace, even in the aggregate.

Thank You ! Just the info I was looking for.

Reaction Score
One other note: We're recruiting at a higher level than ever before. Basically half of the consensus top 15 guys in the 2025 class have us as one of their preferred schools, including the No. 1 overall kid, who's from Brockton, Mass.
Where have you seen Dybantsa mention UConn since last summer/fall?

Reaction Score
Zagoria has mentioned that we're among the favorites, and a bunch of folks on this board who know stuff have said repeatedly that we're going after him.
He's coming out with his final list shortly so we'll see if UConn makes the cut. There have been at least 5 or 6 articles since the fall where he talks about teams and UConn is never mentioned. So it makes me question whether UConn is really in the mix. Maybe the Huskies are and he just hasn't mentioned them for some reason. Or maybe UConn has made a good push recently.

For those on this board who know stuff, I'm curious what you know that makes you repeatedly say we're going after him? I don't trust Zagoria as a source.

Reaction Score
He's coming out with his final list shortly so we'll see if UConn makes the cut. There have been at least 5 or 6 articles since the fall where he talks about teams and UConn is never mentioned. So it makes me question whether UConn is really in the mix. Maybe the Huskies are and he just hasn't mentioned them for some reason. Or maybe UConn has made a good push recently.

For those on this board who know stuff, I'm curious what you know that makes you repeatedly say we're going after him? I don't trust Zagoria as a source.
he said the final list was coming after Peach Jam

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom