This donovan clingan makes us unbeatable | The Boneyard

This donovan clingan makes us unbeatable

Reaction Score
His #1 focus the rest of the regular season and Big East Tournament should be defend without fouling. If he can do that, I'll be very confident for the NCAA Tournament. Him sitting on the bench is the biggest risk factor. We can win with him on the bench against most teams, but if it happens against the wrong team like Purdue, it could be an issue. I wish Singare was able to give us something.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
What he does on D is amazing. How many times does he block the shot and get the rebound? Let him start taking 3’s against lesser opponents.
It’s late February. That ship has sailed.

Reaction Score
DC not getting into foul trouble is scary. Add in him flying around like he did today (like his freshman year) and it’s terrifying. But I’d take just him not getting into foul trouble.

He changed nearly every Marquette shot out there. Had them boys shook. Gotta keep him on the floor!

Reaction Score
He looked more mobile and played his smartest game offensively and defensively. Took good shots and went strong to hoop, not bringing rebounds down low. On defense he didn't reach or lean, he stood straight up and made it really difficult for Marquette to shoot over him. Hope he can sustain this level, really raises our game. I think it was Donny that said he looked like a 5th grader playing against 3rd graders yesterday.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thought DH did a great job of managing DC's minutes and keeping him fresh and out of foul trouble yesterday.

Still mind-boggling to me how Samson can only get one rebound but I guess it doesn't matter when the team rebounding numbers (esp. our guards) is so effective.

Reaction Score
What he does on D is amazing. How many times does he block the shot and get the rebound? Let him start taking 3’s against lesser opponents.
He doesn't realy Block a ton of shots when you compare him to Husky rim protectors of years past, but his rim presence is about equal to any of them. Outside of that monster dunk near Clingan, Oso Ighodaro really wanted no parts of him in the paint.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Thought DH did a great job of managing DC's minutes and keeping him fresh and out of foul trouble yesterday.

Still mind-boggling to me how Samson can only get one rebound but I guess it doesn't matter when the team rebounding numbers (esp. our guards) is so effective.

One thing I noticed yesterday was Johnson doing a good job finding his man when the shot went up and putting a body on him. Johnson had several real good box outs which cleared the lane and let UConn's guards get the rebound.
Johnson was much better staying on his feet on defensive rebounds and not falling all over the place.
I'll take an active Johnson who boxes out and keeps the lane clean for other Huskies every game.

Reaction Score
His developing quickness of hands and feet, and the focus on staying out of foul trouble, makes him an MVP now matter what standard you apply.
noticed him "hand scrambling" for loose (HOT)balls a number of times against smaller quicker players. Still learning how his body works. He still has such a steep development curve, we may see some things before this year is out that we haven't seen yet!! Can't wait.

Reaction Score
His #1 focus the rest of the regular season and Big East Tournament should be defend without fouling. If he can do that, I'll be very confident for the NCAA Tournament. Him sitting on the bench is the biggest risk factor. We can win with him on the bench against most teams, but if it happens against the wrong team like Purdue, it could be an issue. I wish Singare was able to give us something.
You're right. Hurley said the same in the press conference. To paraphrase: they worked on the bigs staying out of foul trouble so the staff doesn't have to coach around that deficit.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
One thing I noticed yesterday was Johnson doing a good job finding his man when the shot went up and putting a body on him. Johnson had several real good box outs which cleared the lane and let UConn's guards get the rebound.
Johnson was much better staying on his feet on defensive rebounds and not falling all over the place.
I'll take an active Johnson who boxes out and keeps the lane clean for other Huskies every game.
Shortly before halftime, UConn's top three rebounders were Newton, Spencer, and Diarra, all with 4. Clingan, who'd scored only 6 points, got his 4th rebound in the final minute.

At that point, UConn was shooting under 40%, and was 4-18 from 3. Rebounds between the two teams were close.

The team shot 7-12 from 3 in the second half. Clingan's offensive rebounds included scoring on 3 putbacks off the glass. Five of his FGs did not not have him putting the ball on the floor. It got to the point where Newton, Karaban, and Ball comfortably made 3s of the type that earlier had not gone in. And Johnson got another lob dunk.

So many options, from so many players being in great position, in so many ways.

This was a pretty good look at the, "If this team gets fully healthy, then OMG" team that has popped up in comments after victories down a man. Or, another way to see it was as a reminder of the second-half dismantlings that started with defense in last year's tournament run.

Reaction Score
It’s late February. That ship has sailed.
When did Adama start shooting 3s last year? My guess would be early Feb.

I agree with you though that it is probably too late to add that to Clingan's game. That said I'd love for him to drill or one two against Creighton as that would mentally destroy their faux-tough guy center Kalkbrenner who got similarly physically & mentally abused by Adama last season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom