This could turn out really bad, or maybe really good... | The Boneyard

This could turn out really bad, or maybe really good...

Reaction Score
So Uconn is one of 3 teams that is not playing football this year. That means the prospects of playing a shortened schedule in the spring is a non starter unless they find some FCS teams or lower that play in the spring, but I don't see any benefit to that.

THE POTENTIALLY BAD RESULT:

The NCAA has passed legislation that no football player will use eligibility this year regardless of the number of games played. What a missed opportunity. Instead this is what the result is. We will have some kids on our roster that were red shirted in 2018 as freshman. They will not have played a game in 3 years come fall of 2021. Moreover, these kids will academically be juniors. Some will perhaps rise into the depth chart and start or be on the 2 deep. Others will head into their senior year academically and not have seen the field. These kids will likely visit the transfer portal, or just forget about football. The key issue for all of them, is heading into what would be their sophomore year athletically, from an eligibility standpoint, they will also likely be graduating. These kids have a strong likelihood to enter the transfer portal, and have 2 years of eligibility remaining, making UConn a training portal for other teams.

THE POTENTIALLY GOOD:

There could be a huge log jam of kids because of eligibility used and academic year being much wider than any time ever before. There very well could be a lot of "better" players out there for immediate improvement. The caveat to that is our hard and fast coach says he won't go that route, so any opportunity to benefit is dismissed. When people make closed statements, and have a closed mind, success is hard to come by. "We will not change." Does that also come with a warning in doing so, that says our record won't change either. Unfortunately, if he does change, he destroys his credibility, and if he does not change, and opportunity knocks, the door sadly is closed. I'm sure by all or most counts RE is a standup guy, and has good intentions, but at some point the win column has to be addressed. The final chapter in this book may read "I did it my way." That way, to this point hasn't exactly proven to be the best plan.

Reaction Score
It would have turned out worse if we stayed in the AAC. We don't low enough admission standards to keep up with the community colleges.

Reaction Score
Meh. Schools with better reps and schools with lesser reps all kicked Uconn's ass.
We had a good run till PP came along. Program is in total rebuild mode. We attract better recuits as an independent, anyway.

Reaction Score
It would have turned out worse if we stayed in the AAC. We don't low enough admission standards to keep up with the community colleges.
Tulane is doing well and has similar admission to UCONN. In fact they're ranked higher than UCONN in US News rankings.

Reaction Score
Let's see what Edsall can do in the fall. I still think UConn may be able to sneak into ACC given the expected post-COVID economy.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Tulane is doing well and has similar admission to UCONN. In fact they're ranked higher than UCONN in US News rankings.

Tulane is above and SMU is right in UConn's range for academics. Both are private schools with solid endowments. They can take a few flyers academically and not have to worry about their overall reps. Plus, as private vice public they don't have any external factors for admissions or student body composition.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
We had a good run till PP came along. Program is in total rebuild mode. We attract better recuits as an independent, anyway.

And all those glory days were while UConn was in the Big East. My point was there were schools who have higher standards than UConn and still kicked UConn's butt. Having higher academic standards isn't what kept UConn from being remotely competitive in the AAC.

Agree, so far it looks like going independent has shown an uptick in recruiting. Credit to AD Dave for getting interesting games on the schedule and credit to the coaching staff selling that to recruits.

Reaction Score
Maybe Temple accepted some of UCONN’s potential recruits but that is all I could tell made any difference. Reality is many recruits don’t feel about UCONN football the same way us fans do.

Reaction Score
Maybe Temple accepted some of UCONN’s potential recruits but that is all I could tell made any difference. Reality is many recruits don’t feel about UCONN football the same way us fans do.
Which only adds to us not fitting in the AAC aesthetically. SMU and Tulane hire better coaches to start with....

Reaction Score

I suspect there are plenty of community college grads who could at least frame a grammatically correct sentence. As a matter of interest, which AAC schools would you classify as community colleges, the ones with larger research portfolios and endowments? The ones playing football this fall? The ones that beat up on UConn with monotonous regularity? Inquiring minds want to know.

Reaction Score
It's always entertaining when UConn fans pretend UConn is Harvard.
It's also known as the admissions process for football players, dingbat.

I recall Edsall clamoring for lowering standards?

Reaction Score
I suspect there are plenty of community college grads who could at least frame a grammatically correct sentence. As a matter of interest, which AAC schools would you classify as community colleges, the ones with larger research portfolios and endowments? The ones playing football this fall? The ones that beat up on UConn with monotonous regularity? Inquiring minds want to know.
That's a typo. Please forgive me.

I only mention admissions and all of the sudden, people blow it out of proportion. So melodramatic.

Reaction Score
That's a typo. Please forgive me.

I only mention admissions and all of the sudden, people blow it out of proportion. So melodramatic.

You didn't answer my question. In your opinion, which AAC schools are community colleges?

Reaction Score
You didn't answer my question. In your opinion, which AAC schools are community colleges?
Former community colleges*. I also apologize for not keeping up to date with admissions percentages of AAC schools. ECU is still a community college. And so is Memphis. The AAC has some schools who have been using sports to achieve the Flutie Effect. UConn has immensely benefitted from exposure through sports, as well.

Do you feel better now?

Reaction Score
Former community colleges*. I also apologize for not keeping up to date with admissions percentages of AAC schools. ECU is still a community college. And so is Memphis. The AAC has some schools who have been using sports to achieve the Flutie Effect. UConn has immensely benefitted from exposure through sports, as well.

Do you feel better now?

And yet UConn couldn't compete against them. How sad is that?

Reaction Score
And yet UConn couldn't compete against them. How sad is that?
Um, that's what I said. At least most of them have lower academic admissions standards for football players, which does make a big difference.

Holy cow.

Reaction Score
Using admissions standards as an excuse has always been lame and is out right laughable now that Uconn regularly excepts Juco transfers. They’re simply a scapegoat for some to soften the blow of poor recruiting and worse play.

If anyone thinks the difference between winning 2 games a year and being competitive with AAC Level Schools is losing a kid to Temple or ECU I’m not sure what to tell them.

The problem is and remains with an administration that thinks its ok to fund football in the northeast at a Sunbelt Level. They do so in an area without a glut of available talent that can sustain low level G5 programs even after The P5 and AAC have picked through it.

Randy 2.0 is not and has never been the answer. He was a band aid put over a gunshot wound. The AD gambled that if enough gray beards were distracted by memories of mostly mediocre football they might not notice the horror show that Randy was producing now. The problem is that everyone else noticed and stayed away in droves.

This isn’t rocket science. Either fund the program at a competitive level or kill it. Paying the women’s basketball coach nearly as much as the entire football staff is embarrassing. After next years debacle of a season you have to fire Randy and a hire a coach that understands football and recruiting in 2022 not 1972.

Reaction Score
Using admissions standards as an excuse has always been lame and is out right laughable now that Uconn regularly excepts Juco transfers. They’re simply a scapegoat for some to soften the blow of poor recruiting and worse play.

If anyone thinks the difference between winning 2 games a year and being competitive with AAC Level Schools is losing a kid to Temple or ECU I’m not sure what to tell them.

The problem is and remains with an administration that thinks its ok to fund football in the northeast at a Sunbelt Level. They do so in an area without a glut of available talent that can sustain low level G5 programs even after The P5 and AAC have picked through it.

Randy 2.0 is not and has never been the answer. He was a band aid put over a gunshot wound. The AD gambled that if enough gray beards were distracted by memories of mostly mediocre football they might not notice the horror show that Randy was producing now. The problem is that everyone else noticed and stayed away in droves.

This isn’t rocket science. Either fund the program at a competitive level or kill it. Paying the women’s basketball coach nearly as much as the entire football staff is embarrassing. After next years debacle of a season you have to fire Randy and a hire a coach that understands football and recruiting in 2022 not 1972.
Last time I checked- Naval Academy has the highest admission standards. They do quite well in D1 football

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom