Third Option | The Boneyard

Third Option

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Everyone is talking about the merits of keeping the BE name vs. selling the BE name.

There is a third option:

LICENSE the BE name to the C7.

UConn, USF, and Cinci form a corp owned 1/3 each. Transfer the rights to the BE name to the new corp. Sign a 5 year deal with the Catholics for $5MM per year.

Won't matter if any of the 3 schools leave for greener pastures in the future - naming rights would be owned by the new corp.

We can always decide to pull the name back, or license/sell it to the highest bidder in the future.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
And the C7 would be interested in this why?!

This is like the guy who calls into the radio station in Kansas City who suggests that the Chiefs should trade Matt Cassel and Dwayne Bowe for Aaron Rodgers and Greg Jennings. Of course it makes sense for 'our team', but why would the other side be interested in this at all?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Not to mention, if UConn (or Cincinnati) leave the conference for the ACC or B1G or B12, they would likely lose their share. Better to get the money now if that's where they're headed.

Reaction Score
And the C7 would be interested in this why?!

This is like the guy who calls into the radio station in Kansas City who suggests that the Chiefs should trade Matt Cassel and Dwayne Bowe for Aaron Rodgers and Greg Jennings. Of course it makes sense for 'our team', but why would the other side be interested in this at all?

Because that's their only choice to use the BE name, since it reverts to the remaining members of the BE, which are currently UConn, USF, and Cinci.

Way to be a , though.

Reaction Score
Not to mention, if UConn (or Cincinnati) leave the conference for the ACC or B1G or B12, they would likely lose their share. Better to get the money now if that's where they're headed.

Wouldn't lose our share, because as I originally posted, the rights to the BE name are held in a new corp, owned jointly by the 3 remaining BE members. That's the purpose of transferring the rights now.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Wouldn't lose our share, because as I originally posted, the rights to the BE name are held in a new corp, owned jointly by the 3 remaining BE members. That's the purpose of transferring the rights now.

It's certainly an interesting thought. As long as leaving the Corp/Big East wouldn't mean UConn losing its share of the naming revenue, I'd be all for it. I just don't want to sign anything that would chain us to this conference if we're ever invited to greener pastures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom