OT: - Things Other Parents Let Their Kids Get Away With..... | The Boneyard

OT: Things Other Parents Let Their Kids Get Away With.....

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
.........that you'd absolutely crack your kid upside the head for doing.

I will do one OT thread a week about how other people are worsterer than you and allow freedom to vent until UConn actually gets a spring signee.

I'd love to see basketball related posts but we are getting nothing so far this off-season.

Reaction Score
Does anyone literally crack their kids upside the head anymore these days? Or do you just mean punish your kids for?

I cringe when kids throw a fit and parent makes an idle threat and the kid just carries on without fear of follow through. If I tell my daughter no tv or no toys if you don't listen I usually get the response im looking for including a stern stop crying too.. Within the minute the tears stop as well. She knows our threats are legit. And if she wants to keep going she won't be surprised when she losses something.

I gotta say though overall I think kids responded better to getting whacked than they do to just taking things away or putting them in timeout.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Nothing better than a kid screaming while your eating dinner and the parents refusing to take the little brat outside or even trying to calm him/her down. I'm not talking some fast food dive but a good restaurant with actual silverware

Reaction Score
I was at a business presentation over the weekend which included a toddler and both parents. The toddler started off by crying for a while and then the mother moved behind me and let her child crawl all over the place. Very annoying and inconsiderate. One of the parents should have taken the child outside.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Y’all should try being a teacher and listen to the excuses these people make for their kids.

“We’re suspending your son for 3 days because he threatened to shoot someone and when the police showed up to your house he was able to take them directly to the unlocked gun case in the basement.”

“Yeah...well... are you going to suspend the kid who made the comment about his shoes and made him so upset he thought it was appropriate to kill him?”

“...”

4th grade btw

Reaction Score
I was just going to say, teachers. The type of things you tend to hear depends on the demographics involved but regardless of status you will hear crazy stuff. Just different types of crazy. For example, my crazy stuff is not like the above. Rather it is what you would expect from rich kids from developing nations. I don't even blame the kids, more that the parents are never at home. They are on business trips that sometimes last months, etc. Most of these kids have a nanny at home, personal drivers and much more. Don't get me wrong, a lot of the kids are great but some of the entitlement is off the charts.

In the next few years I will become a parent and I will be very strict with academic related things. Every single time I have seen a great student, I meet the parents and it is obvious why they are great, it starts at home!! I have noticed a correlation between the students who struggle the most and how involved parents are. The lowest performing students often don't get help at home, have absent parents and/or parents who are clueless about the whole academic performance or just don't care.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Was at the Bushnell and the teenager next to me took off her shoes and put them up on the in front of us gave the parents about 20 twenty minutes before I asked to put her shoes back on

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
-Idle threats you know parents will never follow through on
-The electronic babysitter as they walk around in a daze. I have zero problem with plopping a kid down in front of the TV for a few minutes but when I see kids literally glued to tablets, phones or games when they can barely walk it's a frightening look at our future.
-The let a kid throw a tantrum anywhere, anytime for whatever reason. Again, time and place. At a grocery store while kid is screaming for food? I'll laugh. At a nice restaurant at 8pm on a weekend. No thanks. In a church service? Go to crying room or back of church.
-Kids who use whatever language they want towards their parents when they are old enough to know enough other words to speak better.
-Kids who don't bury bodies deep enough in the ground. Seriously, the seepage from a carcass can ruin a good lawn.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I was just going to say, teachers. The type of things you tend to hear depends on the demographics involved but regardless of status you will hear crazy stuff. Just different types of crazy. For example, my crazy stuff is not like the above. Rather it is what you would expect from rich kids from developing nations. I don't even blame the kids, more that the parents are never at home. They are on business trips that sometimes last months, etc. Most of these kids have a nanny at home, personal drivers and much more. Don't get me wrong, a lot of the kids are great but some of the entitlement is off the charts.

In the next few years I will become a parent and I will be very strict with academic related things. Every single time I have seen a great student, I meet the parents and it is obvious why they are great, it starts at home!! I have noticed a correlation between the students who struggle the most and how involved parents are. The lowest performing students often don't get help at home, have absent parents and/or parents who are clueless about the whole academic performance or just don't care.

A bit of a tangent, but also have to love hearing from soon to be parents on how they will react to their kids' behavior. General guidelines? Sure, you can have a plan. But, please be prepared to deviate often from your plans.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Re: tablets/iPhones

The parents that still want to be cool or on the scene are the worst. A lot of bars or restaurant you go to in or around NYC, you'll see the 20s/30s something parents taking in a brew while the 0-3 year old is in a trance not changing their gaze for hours on end playing angry birds. Truly disturbing.

Reaction Score
I don't like kids running around at breweries.
Nothing better than a kid screaming while your eating dinner and the parents refusing to take the little brat outside or even trying to calm him/her down. I'm not talking some fast food dive but a good restaurant with actual silverware

Ah, here's an interesting conundrum. My 18-month-old has the attention span you'd expect when we're out at restaurants.

Would you, a patron, prefer that I:
A) force her to stay in the high chair and whine for 40 minutes?
B) let her down to run around and say hi to everyone?

Those are my choices. Apparently someone is going to be annoyed either way. (FWIW, I always choose B.)

Reaction Score
Ah, here's an interesting conundrum. My 18-month-old has the attention span you'd expect when we're out at restaurants.

Would you, a patron, prefer that I:
A) force her to stay in the high chair and whine for 40 minutes?
B) let her down to run around and say hi to everyone?

Those are my choices. Apparently someone is going to be annoyed either way. (FWIW, I always choose B.)

Fact. I tried to stay away from dining in during my 1st child because did this. Now she is 3 and I don't care. At church I let her walk down the pews and talk with people. It's either that or tell her to sit and cry and disrupt mass. I don't want everyone in church looking at me.

I always choose B!!!

Reaction Score
There are some time, place and manner restrictions, but for me it's often the effort. All adults were kids and most (not all) of the adults in a particular public place are (or will be) parents. @Tenspro2002, if your daughter comes up to my table to say hi, she's walking away with a smile from us, and probably a french fry or two. If she's screaming in her height chair, I've been there and feel for you. I'd hope you'd take her outside for a walk or whatever calms her down. I don't care if it ruins your meal, you shouldn't ruin mine. So I heartily choose your option B and I personally wouldn't care how nice the restaurant.

Sometimes there's just nothing a parent can do. I've been that guy on an airplane with a screaming kid. It was the worst 45 minutes of my life trying to calm him down (flight was delayed three hours and then they woke him up with some stupid announcement about what we might see out the window which was nothing special). After the flight, people patted me on the back and gave words of encouragement. I try to do the same when someone tries, but fails. We're all in this together at some level.

EDIT: I did remember a time/place/manner restriction. Don't bring the kid to an inappropriate movie that they aren't even watching because you didn't get a baby sitter. And if you do, you'd better pull them out the minute the start making noise.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Kids using tablets and phones as a distraction kinda annoys me. Missing out on naturally observing people and the ability to react to certain things at a young age, to me, is crucial to their brain development.
As a 3 year old, I'm sure you you were tuned into the intricacies and nuance of "naturally observing people and the ability to react to certain things."

If my choices are for him to wail and scream and bother the entirety of the given restaurant's patrons or for him to watch Bubble Guppies off YouTube at a reasonable volume, I choose the latter every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Your job is to pay attention to your food, your company, and chew with your mouth closed.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Taught in an upper middle class, affluent school district for most of my career. The one that caught my attention and has remained with me is the young lady who came into the office to talk. She was dating my top trumpet player and private student. She had just turned 16 and was complaining about the car Daddy bought her. She recieved a BMW 3 convertible. She was upset because she wanted a Porsche! That was over 20 years ago! Its been going downhill for a while.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom