Things i like about this year | The Boneyard

Things i like about this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Been a frustrating year for sure, but i actually really like how this team has come along. I also love the system KO runs. I love the responsibility KO puts on the guards. I think it develops really excellent and hardened players. Players made to win tournament games. Unfortunately, Gibbs just doesn't have the skill set to really dominate. That's not meant to be a knock on Gibbs. I actually commend him for trying. He's just so limited at finishing and driving the ball.

I love what Dham has done this year as well. His rebounding is huge. At the beginning of the year he was a major defensive liability. He's actually not horrible on defense and getting the rebound really allows him to take advantage of one of his best skills...pushing the break. Also, his free throw shooting has improved this year.

Miller has been a great player. Unfortunately he won't be around next year. Best low post player we've had in a few years.

Reaction Score
Great points. The expectations coming into the season were probably a little too high with many of us thinking this was a final four caliber team that would dominate the AAC. With Boatright leaving, there was a big hole to fill in terms of talent and leadership. Gibbs has not been what people assumed he would be, but I think Miller has been everything and more as far as what was expected out of him. The teams defense has been great outside of the 2nd half of the last two games. We still have 6 games left in the regular season, so a lot can happen between now and Selection Sunday. They just have to keep winning and try to avoid any bad losses.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Been a frustrating year for sure, but i actually really like how this team has come along. I also love the system KO runs. I love the responsibility KO puts on the guards. I think it develops really excellent and hardened players. Players made to win tournament games. Unfortunately, Gibbs just doesn't have the skill set to really dominate. That's not meant to be a knock on Gibbs. I actually commend him for trying. He's just so limited at finishing and driving the ball.

I love what Dham has done this year as well. His rebounding is huge. At the beginning of the year he was a major defensive liability. He's actually not horrible on defense and getting the rebound really allows him to take advantage of one of his best skills...pushing the break. Also, his free throw shooting has improved this year.

Miller has been a great player. Unfortunately he won't be around next year. Best low post player we've had in a few years.
Offensively He's the best low post player since Okafor. And probably only second to him all time as far as low post skill set

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Offensively He's the best low post player since Okafor. And probably only second to him all time as far as low post skill set
Offensively, yes his skill set is very good.
Defensively and rebounding wise he doesn't come close to Okafor, Hilton, Boone, Giffs, etc.

Reaction Score
With Boatright leaving, there was a big hole to fill in terms of talent and leadership. Gibbs has not been what people assumed he would be

This is an apt assessment. We actually haven't been far off from expectations from an individual point of view. But where Gibbs has fallen short is exactly in the one way we couldn't afford, and that makes all the difference.

Reaction Score
Shonn Miller has way more post moves than Okafor ever had. The only advantage Okafor has over him down low offensively is height. Shonn Miller and Jeff Adrien have had the best post moves from UCONN front men. Unfortunately both are a little undersize though SM jumps out the building and has a great up and under move.

Reaction Score
Great points. The expectations coming into the season were probably a little too high with many of us thinking this was a final four caliber team that would dominate the AAC. With Boatright leaving, there was a big hole to fill in terms of talent and leadership. Gibbs has not been what people assumed he would be, but I think Miller has been everything and more as far as what was expected out of him. The teams defense has been great outside of the 2nd half of the last two games. We still have 6 games left in the regular season, so a lot can happen between now and Selection Sunday. They just have to keep winning and try to avoid any bad losses.
Agreed. 6 games is actually an eternity. Nothing is over. This is sorta crazy, but this team is equally close to dominant and really lousy.

Reaction Score
Each of our players except Miller is limited and it's on coaching to determine how to navigate the minefieds. Gibbs is a perfect example because you would think that they would design plays for him to spot up as he can't create a jump shot or get to the rim, and stop him as point. Finding ways to feed Miller, creative screening, but no we get passing around the perimeter until the shot clock is 10, then jacking 3's. So yeah I like some things but there's an equal amount to not like.

Reaction Score

We've seen that Ollie cultivates the defense first and he's done that well this year. Unfortunately, the lack of overall discipline and offensive sets may just have cost too many games in the meantime.

Reaction Score
Each of our players except Miller is limited and it's on coaching to determine how to navigate the minefieds. Gibbs is a perfect example because you would think that they would design plays for him to spot up as he can't create a jump shot or get to the rim, and stop him as point. Finding ways to feed Miller, creative screening, but no we get passing around the perimeter until the shot clock is 10, then jacking 3's. So yeah I like some things but there's an equal amount to not like.
This. The staff needs to design plays that give Gibbs a chance to succeed. Him pounding the ball for 25 seconds and then trying to create DOES NOT work....we've played 25 games, I believe that's enough of a sample size. I wish he was less selfish, but he definitely has been set up to fail WAY too many times.

Reaction Score
This. The staff needs to design plays that give Gibbs a chance to succeed. Him pounding the ball for 25 seconds and then trying to create DOES NOT work....we've played 25 games, I believe that's enough of a sample size. I wish he was less selfish, but he definitely has been set up to fail WAY too many times.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Shonn Miller has way more post moves than Okafor ever had. The only advantage Okafor has over him down low offensively is height. Shonn Miller and Jeff Adrien have had the best post moves from UCONN front men. Unfortunately both are a little undersize though SM jumps out the building and has a great up and under move.

Really? imo, Okafor, by his senior season, had a better offensive skillset than Adrien and it wasn't that close. He was more prolific. More diverse. And even better rebounder (look it up). Okafor did not average 18 per game on garbage points. Even in Okafor's soph year, he averaged more ppg than Jeff did in any single year of his 4 year career.

As an aside, in looking up his stats, this is the picture that comes up in google when typing in "emeka okafor":

skgg5t9rvsn0ey4kt5my.jpeg

Reaction Score
Really? imo, Okafor, by his senior season, had a better offensive skillset than Adrien and it wasn't that close. He was more prolific. More diverse. And even better rebounder (look it up). Okafor did not average 18 per game on garbage points. Even in Okafor's soph year, he averaged more ppg than Jeff did in any single year of his 4 year career.

As an aside, in looking up his stats, this is the picture that comes up in google when typing in "emeka okafor":

I never said better overall player. Though no way could you say emeka okafor had better post moves than Shonn Miller. Okafor never had a drop step and up and under move. His footwork offensively was very mechanical compared to SM. Now Okafor was stronger and taller than SM so he could score easier for his height at times.

Now Okafor was a superior rebounder and shot blocker than both of them but I'm just comparing actual post moves. Okafor did call for the ball down low more than SM. SM seems to pick his time when he really wants to post up which Okafor never had an issue of doing when the team needs a bucket.

Though as far as actual post moves when down there SM has way more.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I never said better overall player. Though no way could you say emeka okafor had better post moves than Shonn Miller. Okafor never had a drop step and up and under move. His footwork offensively was very mechanical compared to SM. Now Okafor was stronger and taller than SM so he could score easier for his height at times.

Now Okafor was a superior rebounder and shot blocker than both of them but I'm just comparing actual post moves. Okafor did call for the ball down low more than SM. SM seems to pick his time when he really wants to post up which Okafor never had an issue of doing when the team needs a bucket.

Though as far as actual post moves when down there SM has way more.

I was remarking on the Okafor vs Adrien comparison, which you alluded to by saying SM & JA have had the best post moves. Was simply saying EOs moves and o game was better than JAs.

I don't really have a strong opinion on. the Miller/Okafor comparison.

Reaction Score

[/QUOTE
Not to nitpick but Okafor only played 3 years at Uconn

Reaction Score
This year is fun for me, but I'm really looking forward to a proper building year. Lots of new faces that will be around multiple years.

Reaction Score
This year is fun for me, but I'm really looking forward to a proper building year. Lots of new faces that will be around multiple years.

Next year with all the freshman will be exciting. I'm pumped for that class

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

That is one great fricken picture!

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score

Nice picture! However, if Emeka had stayed for a senior season then UConn may have won a second title in a row in 2005

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Nice picture! However, if Emeka had stayed for a senior season then UConn may have won a second title in a row in 2005

Hard to turn down that #2 overall pick. Especially with a bad back!

Yes, I realized I mistyped. Should have just said 'last' year.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Yes, just a mistype. Which is why I compared Jeff's 4 years to what was ostensibly EO's three.

Must have been too pumped by the pic.

Reaction Score
Getting Gibbs and Miller to sign here saved this season from a perspective of making it interesting and possibly giving us a team that could make some noise in March assuming they can make the tournament. Imagine if they weren't here? Without them this would have more than likely been a "rebuilding" season between recruiting classes where we would be happy if our team could just win some games. It was an incredible piece of work by Ollie to get them to come here.
Gibbs is a shooter/scorer. A lot of people on this board bash Gibbs because he doesn't do well running the offense. They are right about one thing, he doesn't do well running the offense. That is not all his fault. He is being used in that capacity because Ollie must feel like he needs to. I still feel that they should be running more screens and curls for Gibbs to catch and shoot and keep him of the ball. I still think only Hamilton and Adams should be bringing the ball up and initiating the offense most of the time. Despite Adams' struggles the last two games when he runs the team it seems like the offense works better and we have fewer wasted possessions. However as other posters have stated and is proven with statistics our offensive execution has been ok and we have given up the big leads the last two games on defense in the 2nd half. I agree with this but still think we are better off if Gibbs and Purvis don't bring the ball up or initiate/run the offense. We will have to see what happens going forward and whether this team is capable of making a nice run in March. The team has the talent for it but can they put it all together enough to go on a nice run? I agree with the OP in that I like what I see most of the time from the team the last two games aside. It would have been a much different season this year with much lower expectations without Gibbs and Miller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom