Things I don't want to see the rest of the season | The Boneyard

Things I don't want to see the rest of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Hamilton shooting a bad three with 25 seconds left on the shot clock.

Gibbs pounding the ball for 20+ seconds

Gibbs taking the ball to the rim, that just doesn't end well

Calhoun shooting with his left hand

Miller in foul trouble

Adams on the bench at crunch time

Another one sided game of fouls, with us on the short end (and their coach doing all the complaining )

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
In all seriousness, we just make enough silly stupid mistakes to cost us the game. So darn correctable, but still happening at the end of the season.

It's not about talent or skill set or coaching or effort, it's about a few braid dead mental lapses that's killing us.

Mental toughness, we need it for 40 minutes

Reaction Score
Gibbs dribbling the ball even once with less than 20 on the shot clock.

This is all coaching. The players are playing hard. The last two seasons don't look at all look like how we are used to seeing a UConn team play. They play ragged. It is hard to watch.

The coaches on the bench named Ollie, Moore, Miller, Hobbs know good guard play. They were taught by the best. We have good guard talent yet it does not translate on the floor. That's 100% on the coaching staff and they should all look at some film of how they once played in the old Big East. You are not going anywhere without great guard play and they know it. Villanova always has great guard play.

On another topic, how I miss the Old Big East and going to MSG. The best 5 days of sports in the country and football killed it. Killed ACC ball and what was once a great ACC tournament. Killed what is now the Big East.

It really sucks.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
This is all coaching. The players are playing hard. The last two seasons don't look at all look like how we are used to seeing a UConn team play. They play ragged. It is hard to watch.

The coaches on the bench named Ollie, Moore, Miller, Hobbs know good guard play. They were taught by the best. We have good guard talent yet it does not translate on the floor. That's 100% on the coaching staff and they should all look at some film of how they once played in the old Big East. You are not going anywhere without great guard play and they know it. Villanova always has great guard play.

On another topic, how I miss the Old Big East and going to MSG. The best 5 days of sports in the country and football killed it. Killed ACC ball and what was once a great ACC tournament. Killed what is now the Big East.

It really sucks.

The coaches know good guard play, but don't have guards with anywhere near the overall talent or basketball IQ that we've had in the past. We have good players who we want to play like All Americans (like we have had), but each has flaws to go with their strengths. Having said that, the coaching and development issues seem to be there as well. A little like in 2012 when the pieces did not fit together and the moves Calhoun made did not work. We had no clear leader that year as Bazz was not ready or accepted. It seems like the pieces we have this year do not fit together very well (too many similar players with similar weaknesses) and we have no clear leader.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The coaches know good guard play, but don't have guards with anywhere near the overall talent or basketball IQ that we've had in the past. We have good players who we want to play like All Americans (like we have had), but each has flaws to go with their strengths. Having said that, the coaching and development issues seem to be there as well. A little like in 2012 when the pieces did not fit together and the moves Calhoun made did not work. We had no clear leader that year as Bazz was not ready or accepted. It seems like the pieces we have this year do not fit together very well (too many similar players with similar weaknesses) and we have no clear leader.

I've said it a million times, but give me a Shabazz on this team, and I'll show you a Final Four lock. No elite players on this team (as of this season--Hamilton/Adams can be in the future). It is what it is.

Reaction Score
I've said it a million times, but give me a Shabazz on this team, and I'll show you a Final Four lock. No elite players on this team (as of this season--Hamilton/Adams can be in the future). It is what it is.

You guys are spot on and I see enormous upside for JA, Dham not so much.

Reaction Score
Adams is my preferred ball handler, but I have no problem with Dham initiating offense. The other players need to move though to open spaces, especially now that teams are conscience about the alley oops to Miller and especially Brimah. Purvis and Gibbs are awful about moving to open floor when Dham starts to drive.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
You are not going anywhere without great guard play and they know it. Villanova always has great guard play.

And that has translated into what for Nova?????????? a bunch of regular season wins in the new BE and flameouts in the NCAAs

UConn went into the season thinking SG was the PG this season with JA learning from him
About 8 games in it looked like that might not be the case so DHam was given some of the ball handling responsibilities. While he does have some skill for a 3 in this area it is obvious he is not the answer.
Now (a little late IMHO) is the time to let JA be the primary handler. SG should be the 2 and DHam the 3 and backup handler
I may be in the minority but I like DHam a real lot and see huge upside for the kid, its too bad he wasn't 3" taller. He's not a leader but somehow has been kinda pushed into the role by KO and staff - he is struggling with it. Take it off his plate and I think he will explode.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
D Ham has plenty of upside- he will become a better shooter, will learn when and where to take his shot and has lots of room defensively.
Our problems are talent- Ollie can't make layups for Purvis. Gibbs isn't athletic enough to be a shut down defender or a penetrator. Adams is a freshman with upside.

Point being- we could run better sets, push the ball more on the break, etc. To me the biggest problem is without Miller in the game, there is no low post presence that a team needs to worry about and can press the perimeter leaving contested 3s. And even with Miller, we don't look at him enough.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Purvis stepping out of bounds. Ollie's 'woe is me' face.

Reaction Score
Hamilton shooting a bad three with 25 seconds left on the shot clock.

Gibbs pounding the ball for 20+ seconds

Gibbs taking the ball to the rim, that just doesn't end well

Calhoun shooting with his left hand

Miller in foul trouble

Adams on the bench at crunch time

Another one sided game of fouls, with us on the short end (and their coach doing all the complaining )
I don't want to see Nolan take a 15 foot jumper anytime we aren't up atleast 40.

Reaction Score

It really sucks.
Thanks, at least you combined your coaching and conference complaints into 1 post instead of forcing us to read 2.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Hamilton spinning wildly in the lane with absolutely no purpose.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
And trying the around the world dribble and forgetting the ball's still behind his back.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
And trying the around the world dribble and forgetting the ball's still behind his back.

Then popping into the air hoping something will develop in the .5 seconds it takes him to do so....and inevitably finding that nothing has, forcing him to jack it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom