Thing Big UConn - how about Bobby Petrino? | The Boneyard

Thing Big UConn - how about Bobby Petrino?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How high will UConn reach?

Ok - we might be able to get a big program Assistant as a first time head coach; or a non-BCS conference current head coach.

But if you really want to make an impact - how about some slightly damaged goods - like Bobby Petrino at W. Kentucky. You can question his morals all you want - this guy can coach and recruits would come.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

Ok - we are might be able to get a big program Assistant as a first time head coach; or a non-BCS conference current head coach.

But if you really want to make an impact - how about some slightly damaged goods - like Bobby Petrino at W. Kentucky. You can question his morals all you want - this guy can coach and recruits would come.

I am interested. But, I cannot imagine Susan sharing a podium with him and introducing him as the face of UConn football. Remember, this guy straight up lied to a university president - that is not going to buy him much grace at any legitimate university.

Reaction Score

Ok - we might be able to get a big program Assistant as a first time head coach; or a non-BCS conference current head coach.

I am of the opinion that you can't judge a man by his worst moment. Unfortunately for Petrino his record shows that you can't count on the man or believe anything he says.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
How many threads like touting marginal coaches with serve social problems must we endure?

No.

Reaction Score
[quote="WestHartHusk, post: 721678, member: 381"But, I cannot imagine Susan sharing a podium with him and introducing him as the face of UConn football. Remember, this guy straight up lied to a university president - that is not going to buy him much grace at any legitimate university.[/quote]

Never mind the lying - it's about freaking hiring his MISTRESS over numerous much better-qualified candidates for a "staff position".

Bobby Petrino might coach north of the Mason-Dixon line, but he is not coaching in New England never mind here under a female president. To be honest I don't see him going to a P5 ever again. Could see him at a SMU or Houston or UCF, though.

Reaction Score
How many threads like touting marginal coaches with serve social problems must we endure?

No.

You are wrong, the man does not have social issues. He is doing just fine in that area or he would never have met Jessica Dorrell. Now if you want to malign Petrino for lying, stealing and other misdeeds, I might give your post a like.

Reaction Score
First, I think Petrino will cost too much. Second, he lied to both his AD and President at Arkansas. Even in the very forgiving SEC, that crossed the line. I have a hard time believing that Herbst, who seems sensitive to the NCAA spotlight that UConn is still under plus the lofty goal of AAU status, will want such a questionable hire on her team. Too much at stake besides just football.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I am of the opinion that you can't judge a man by his worst moment. Unfortunately for Petrino his record shows that you can't count on the man or believe anything he says.

Which moment is that?

Leaving Louisville 6 months after signing a monster contract?

Leaving the Atlanta Falcons because going 3-11 was too big a blow to his ego (Let Mr. Manuel get an employment reference from Arthur Blank. I'll bet het wouldn't hire Petrino to be a greeter at the Glastonbury Home Depot, let alone another position of responsibility.)

The motorcycle scandal at Arkansas?

I don't know if I can handle another apology for getting caught rather than true remorse. I think UConn can succeed just as well with a young coach with imagination rather than yet another "establishment" guy.

No.

Agreed. I don't know why it is such a hardship for people to peruse past thread to see if a topic has already been vetted. Petrino for coach has ad naseum.

Reaction Score
First, I think Petrino will cost too much. Second, he lied to both his AD and President at Arkansas. Even in the very forgiving SEC, that crossed the line. I have a hard time believing that Herbst, who seems sensitive to the NCAA spotlight that UConn is still under plus the lofty goal of AAU status, will want such a questionable hire on her team. Too much at stake besides just football.

I hope cost is not an issue when it comes to a new head coach. Granted I don't see us spending 5 mil on a guy. I would like to see 2-2.5 million for the right coach. Want to be big time? You have to show the world you have the sack to make a big hire and spend money.

Husky25

Reaction Score
[quote="WestHartHusk, post: 721678, member: 381"But, I cannot imagine Susan sharing a podium with him and introducing him as the face of UConn football. Remember, this guy straight up lied to a university president - that is not going to buy him much grace at any legitimate university./quote]

Never mind the lying - it's about freaking hiring his MISTRESS over numerous much better-qualified candidates for a "staff position".

Bobby Petrino might coach north of the Mason-Dixon line, but he is not coaching in New England never mind here under a female president. To be honest I don't see him going to a P5 ever again. Could see him at a SMU or Houston or UCF, though.

There's a joke about the Former Regime in their somewhere. I'm thinking something about someone getting a job over better qualified candidates and the like.

Reaction Score
I hope cost is not an issue when it comes to a new head coach. Granted I don't see us spending 5 mil on a guy. I would like to see 2-2.5 million for the right coach. Want to be big time? You have to show the world you have the sack to make a big hire and spend money.

I agree. My two points are interconnected. I do not see Herbst making a major hire at that salary knowing that it could blow-up in her face (because Petrino has done exactly that at other schools) and negatively impact UConn’s image with the NCAA, which I wish UConn could afford not to care about, and the AAU push.

Husky25

Reaction Score

B.S.

Just because you give a guy $2.5 Million does in no way mean he'll earn it. Doug Free was given Pro-Bowl Left Tackle money by the Cowboys. He remains a barely serviceable right tackle.

Reaction Score
B.S.

Just because you give a guy $2.5 Million does in no way mean he'll earn it. Doug Free was given Pro-Bowl Left Tackle money by the Cowboys. He remains a barely serviceable right tackle.

I don't see your point?

I mean I did use the all encompassing disclaimer of "right" coach. I can't possibly be blamed for a bad hire.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Why do you have to spend $2-$2.5 mil? Focus on getting the right coach. The money should be available but not a guarantee that it will be paid.

By the way, While Petrino makes only $850k, he will owe WKU $1.2 Million if he decides to leave at any point prior to 2016. This means he would have to pay the school $350k to coach for one year so far. Petrino is off the table.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Poll: what tired, over-cited coaching name is going to get the most threads on the 'Yard in the course of the next 3-4 months: Bobby Petrino or Mike Leach (neither will be the next UCONN head coach)?

Reaction Score
Reading comp on this board is brutal.

Dude, I said you can't judge a man on his worst moment. Unfortunately he has a ton of others not so great parts to look at, and you can't believe anything he says.

Capiche?

Which moment is that?

Leaving Louisville 6 months after signing a monster contract?

Leaving the Atlanta Falcons because going 3-11 was too big a blow to his ego (Let Mr. Manuel get an employment reference from Arthur Blank. I'll bet het wouldn't hire Petrino to be a greeter at the Glastonbury Home Depot, let alone another position of responsibility.)

The motorcycle scandal at Arkansas?

I don't know if I can handle another apology for getting caught rather than true remorse. I think UConn can succeed just as well with a young coach with imagination rather than yet another "establishment" guy.

Agreed. I don't know why it is such a hardship for people to peruse past thread to see if a topic has already been vetted. Petrino for coach has ad naseum.

Reaction Score
Why do you have to spend $2-$2.5 mil? Focus on getting the right coach. The money should be available but not a guarantee that it will be paid.

By the way, While Petrino makes only $850k, he will owe WKU $1.2 Million if he decides to leave at any point prior to 2016. This means he would have to pay the school $350k to coach for one year so far. Petrino is off the table.

Did I not say 2-2.5 million for the right coach? Or do i have to reiterate that point again when you attack spending 2.5 million?

Reaction Score
Did I not say 2-2.5 million for the right coach? Or do i have to reiterate that point again when you attack spending 2.5 million?

You may get the right coach for $1.5 million. Don't necessarily have to throw an open check book across the negotiating table.

Husky25

Reaction Score

See: Serrano, Jimmy

Husky25

Reaction Score
Reading comp on this board is brutal.

Dude, I said you can't judge a man on his worst moment. Unfortunately he has a ton of others not so great parts to look at, and you can't believe anything he says.

Capiche?

Are you hung over from some sort of Columbus Day celebration? A simple, "That's what I'm talkin' about," would have sufficed.

Reaction Score
You may get the right coach for $1.5 million. Don't necessarily have to throw an open check book across the negotiating table.

A big splash hire would be very costly and high risk.

If you hire a younger up and comer you can spend a little less on the HC and use that remainder to pay and hire your small army of brilliant assistants and coordinators who really do 95% of your recruiting.

I think too much attention is focused on head coaching salary and not enough attention is on what the assistants and coordinators are making.

Reaction Score
Are you hung over from some sort of Columbus Day celebration? A simple, "That's what I'm talkin' about," would have sufficed.

It sounded like you were arguing with the point...

Reaction Score
A big splash hire would be very costly and high risk.

If you hire a younger up and comer you can spend a little less on the HC and use that remainder to pay and hire your small army of brilliant assistants and coordinators who really do 95% of your recruiting.

I think too much attention is focused on head coaching salary and not enough attention is on what the assistants and coordinators are making.

This^^^ x 100

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate