There is a video game tournament on ESPNNews right now | The Boneyard

There is a video game tournament on ESPNNews right now

Reaction Score
Well, schools are getting rid of academic departments and starting e-sports programs, so this is the wave of the future. Cut soccer and swimming, add e-sports.

Cheaper than "sports". Don't have to travel to play a game. Also much more money that can be made. Many schools are giving eSports scholarships to kids who are good at video games.

Reaction Score
Cheaper than "sports". Don't have to travel to play a game. Also much more money that can be made. Many schools are giving eSports scholarships to kids who are good at video games.

There was some e-sports tournament that was on ABC last weekend. I watched it for a bit but had no idea what was going on. The best part was the “play by play” guy was British. Clearly they were trying to make it seem like a major international sporting event.

Reaction Score
Stinks, I’m a swimmer so it pains me to see swim programs getting cut. I’m all for making for better opportunities for those who might not be athletically inclined, but when it’s at the expense of other people, pass.

Reaction Score
Stinks, I’m a swimmer so it pains me to see swim programs getting cut. I’m all for making for better opportunities for those who might not be athletically inclined, but when it’s at the expense of other people, pass.
How much of your class is addicted to Fortnite tho?

ESports are big and getting bigger. I was born 20 years too early.

Reaction Score
There was some e-sports tournament that was on ABC last weekend. I watched it for a bit but had no idea what was going on. The best part was the “play by play” guy was British. Clearly they were trying to make it seem like a major international sporting event.

It really is a major international sporting event. If I recall, the 2nd highest viewing program last year was the eSports championship. 1st was the Super Bowl. My high school in which I teach is about to start up an eSports team.

Reaction Score

Fortnite isn't really an eSports game yet. Yes it is a video game, but it is not quite to the level of competition. It is really only big here in the US. In Asia, PubG is still bigger than Fortnite as of right now.

Reaction Score

I’m the only one here that has gotten paid by Microsoft to play a game. Nerd alert.

Reaction Score
Fortnite isn't really an eSports game yet. Yes it is a video game, but it is not quite to the level of competition. It is really only big here in the US. In Asia, PubG is still bigger than Fortnite as of right now.
Oh no doubt. Overwatch and especially League of Legends are huge. Counter-Strike too of course.

Reaction Score
I play Rocket League and watch RLCS when I can. Might be more palatable to people who aren't interested in watching frantic gun fights.

The next RLCS finals are being held at the Prudential Center in June. Wish I still lived close enough to go.

Last edited:

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
TNT shows E league for Counter Strike. Mark Cuban owns an esports league. Twitch is owned by amazon. There’s tons of money in gaming so makes sense it’s on tv

Reaction Score
And now your Playstation collects dust while you play Pokemon Go.
That is sad. Genesis, snes, playstation 1 and dreamcast were my favorite systems. Those two generations had so many fun games, where gameplay really took center stage above all else IMO.

Reaction Score
Ultimately I hate to yuck anyone's yum but if you ask me eSports is about as lame as it gets. If it makes money it makes money I guess

Reaction Score
That is sad. Genesis, snes, playstation 1 and dreamcast were my favorite systems. Those two generations had so many fun games, where gameplay really took center stage above all else IMO.

Dreamcast deserved a better fate. They just released it at the wrong time. I still have one, somewhere.

Reaction Score
Ultimately I hate to yuck anyone's yum but if you ask me eSports is about as lame as it gets. If it makes money it makes money I guess

I think that with esports, far more so than sports, you need to play certain games, or at least certain genres to have any idea why what is being shown is so amazing. If you don't play, it's very difficult to tell at all.

I can't follow, or get interested in the vast majority of esports, but I can still understand that they probably are displaying insane skill.

When it comes to the one I am familiar with, Rocket League, I can appreciate how the things pros do are so incredible in a direct way.

Reaction Score
I know this is an "old man yells at cloud" take, but how in the world do people enjoy watching others play video games? 25-30 years ago, as kids, it was misery when you had to sit out and watch a round of whatever game you were playing in some neighborhood kid's basement. I can't imagine willfully sitting there and watching hours of other people playing a videogame.

This is even stranger to me than watching people play poker on TV.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I know this is an "old man yells at cloud" take, but how in the world do people enjoy watching others play video games? 25-30 years ago, as kids, it was misery when you had to sit out and watch a round of whatever game you were playing in some neighborhood kid's basement. I can't imagine willfully sitting there and watching hours of other people playing a videogame.

The same way people enjoy watching people play basketball or football? It’s the exact same thing...

Reaction Score
White men can't jump, but they are totally awesome in video games

Reaction Score

People enjoy watching other people who are incredibly good at things. It's not that hard to figure out. It's not your fault if you can't tell what being "incredibly good" at a particular game looks like, but surely you can imagine that some people can.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom