Theo close to taking Cubs job | The Boneyard

Theo close to taking Cubs job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So says the Boston Herald. Imagine if he could win one with the Cubs after bringing an end to the Sox drought?

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
One rumor I heard on the Chicago ESPN radio station on the way into work this morning is that one scenario being considered for compensation is that the Cubs would have to take Lackey and his contract if they take Theo. As funny as that is to think about (compensation is actually taking a player), it wasn't referenced as a joke...it is a serious discussion they are having.

Reaction Score
I'll believe the Sox get anything other than one player from the lower half of the Cubs top 10 prospects when it happens. A GM that wants to leave in his last year ? You don't get much for that. Sadly, in the NL, Lackey would probably win 15 games a year, easy.

Reaction Score
Funniest part of that is Gammons speculation that the Sox will get Brett Jackson. The Cubs top prospect who put up a .939 OPS in AAA at age 22. Keep dreaming. That's not going to happen.

I am surprised Gammons didn't say they would get him and Castro as big a Red Sox homer that he is. At least Gammons is someone you can read though.

Not like Lupica. He doesn't even write about his team the Mets anymore. He just writes stories bashing the Yanks now, it is really quite comical.

Reaction Score
Funniest part of that is Gammons speculation that the Sox will get Brett Jackson. The Cubs top prospect who put up a .939 OPS in AAA at age 22. Keep dreaming. That's not going to happen.

Dream on? Probably. But I'm not going to discount it. It depends on how bad the Cubs want Theo and whether or not the Sox are willing to take the deal off the table if they don't get what they want.

So in the end, Jackson is a very long stretch. But I have seen stranger things in life. Like who the hell would trade Varitek and Lowe for Heathcliff Slocumb. I mean...seriously?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Dream on? Probably. But I'm not going to discount it. It depends on how bad the Cubs want Theo and whether or not the Sox are willing to take the deal off the table if they don't get what they want.

So in the end, Jackson is a very long stretch. But I have seen stranger things in life. Like who the hell would trade Varitek and Lowe for Heathcliff Slocumb. I mean...seriously?
No way anyone believes the Sox would take the deal off the table. Sox are really not in the position of power here. They don't want Epstein back. So they pay him to sit around while the assistant GM does the work?

They will come to a deal and it won't be a high level prospect.

Reaction Score
No way anyone believes the Sox would take the deal off the table. Sox are really not in the position of power here. They don't want Epstein back. So they pay him to sit around while the assistant GM does the work?

They will come to a deal and it won't be a high level prospect.

I don't think they're not in a position of power. The Cubs want Theo bad. The fact is, the Sox can still take the deal off the table and cuckold him for a year if they think they're getting respectively screwed by the Cubs.

Reaction Score
I don't think they're not in a position of power. The Cubs want Theo bad. The fact is, the Sox can still take the deal off the table and cuckold him for a year if they think they're getting respectively screwed by the Cubs.

Agreed. Everything I have read is that the Cubs want him pretty badly and that his potential signing has created a lot of buzz (probably a bit misguided) in Chicago. I think Boston has a decent amount of leverage. They are not going to get a tremendous prospect but it won't be a bag of balls either.

Reaction Score
And that would be a brilliant strategy. If the Sox want to play hardball, the Cubs will just wait them out and put the brakes on the Sox entire offseason timeline. And then the Sox will be in worse shape and they'll cave. bpo is right. They'll get a decent prospect. They're not going to get the Cubs #1 guy.

Though this article suggests they may just settle for cash

Reaction Score
Recent reports now are that the Sox are going to get prospects because Theo is supposedly going to bring staff with him, which was not part of the original deal. It may not be Brett Jackson, but the Sox are going to get somebody worthwhile out of this.

Reaction Score
And now they've put off the compensation talks. During normal trade talks, that is lovingly referred to as "player to be named later". Again, you guys need to temper your expectations. The Sox are not getting anyone of note in this deal for a lame duck GM that wanted to leave. I'd still wager the odds are better than 50-50 that what they ultimately get is CASH.

But please, strike the use of the plural here. They aren't getting anyone of note, let alone more than 1.

Reaction Score
Wow, I root for the Sox and I really don't care who they get since I know nothing about the Cubs farm system. Wake me when in 2-3 years when whoever they get turns into or not into a MLB player. Why on earth would a Yankee fan care who the Sox get or care who the Sox fans think they might get?

Reaction Score
Sooo.... as it turns out, the big prospect is... Chris Carpenter. Most recently showing up on Sickels top 20 list for the Cubs at #14. And for what reason, I have no idea. The guy is a bullpen arm, which the Sox seem to have an abundance of.

Most recently, he threw 30.1 innings out of the bullpen for the Cubs AAA affiliate, gave up 32 hits, 23 walks, and had 28 Ks. Put up a 6.53 ERA as a 25 year old in AAA. Bleh. Brett Jackson he is not.

Actually this underscores how much work Theo has to do in Chicago. The Yankees prospect list, for instance, in the vicinity of #14 includes the likes of JR Murphy, Brett Marshall, Cito Culver, Angelo Gumbs, and Slade Heathcott.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom