The year we didn't....2009 | The Boneyard

The year we didn't....2009

Reaction Score
20009.... More or less universally agreed on The Yard that losing Dyson poisoned out legitimate chances....
That team was 31-5. Following is a list of significant contributors:

AJ Price
Jerome Dyson
Stanley Robinson
Gavin Edwards
Hasheem Thabeet
Kenba Walker*
Jeff Adrien
Donnel Beverly
Craig Austria
Chuck Okwandu*. ... A bit
* 2011 champs

How do you think this year's squad fares in a mythical matchup,?

My post. I go first I guess.

Sobering (hate that) thought. I'm not going position by position. Adama would have to step up huge time.

Just an example of FF caliber teams. Maybe next year. My 3 cents?

-10 2009.

Lay the points.

Gonna be a real fun year. We outperform. Not yet '09 caliber.

Reaction Score
True road game in the Final Four and not enough guards was the difference.

The last "vintage UConn" team. They went into top-5 and eventual-overall-#1-seed Louisville and beat them by 20.

That team would beat any other UConn team from the last 12 years by at least 10.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
no Dyson = no dice.
that guy had backbone. u see what a fantastic, winning career, he's had since then?

Reaction Score
True road game in the Final Four and not enough guards was the difference.

The last "vintage UConn" team. They went into top-5 and eventual-overall-#1-seed Louisville and beat them by 20.

That team would beat any other UConn team from the last 12 years by at least 10.
Makes you wonder if Dyson doesnt get hurt and they cut down the nets if we`d be debating 09 v 04 which being the best Uconn team of all time. That game against Louisville was that team running on all cylinders.

Reaction Score
they had no business losing in the semi s

It's especially annoying because Michigan State got their butts kicked by UNC. That game was over 10 minutes in. No one was beating UNC with the way Lawson was playing but it would have been closer with us.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Makes you wonder if Dyson doesnt get hurt and they cut down the nets if we`d be debating 09 v 04 which being the best Uconn team of all time. That game against Louisville was that team running on all cylinders.

I don't think I've ever watched that Louisville game since (I should), but in my mind that's the game where Louisville players were so scared of Thabeet blocking their shots that they just stopped going into the paint.

He was a beast against every team not named Pitt.

Reaction Score
'04 all day, the '09 team was so good because they overwhelmed teams with their frontcourt. No way were they doing that against the '04 squad, also Okafor and Gordon were significantly better than anyone on the '09 team.

Reaction Score
DeJuan Blair was basically allowed to suplex Thabeet at will.
I think that’s part of what bothered me. We were a physical team and they basically dominated us in that sense when we played them.

Reaction Score
'04 all day, the '09 team was so good because they overwhelmed teams with their frontcourt. No way were they doing that against the '04 squad, also Okafor and Gordon were significantly better than anyone on the '09 team.
I agree.

Reaction Score
It's especially annoying because Michigan State got their butts kicked by UNC. That game was over 10 minutes in. No one was beating UNC with the way Lawson was playing but it would have been closer with us.
I think we beat UNC even without Dyson had we gotten past MSU. Thabeet was a nightmare matchup for Hansborough.

Reaction Score
That may be the worst charge call in the history of bad charge calls.
If its not i cant imagine what would be because that was an utterly horrendous call to the point i question if there might have been some payoffs before the game.

Reaction Score
I don't like to go against the good guys but even with Dyson I don't think we were beating UNC. '09 UNC was the last truly great college team IMO. College hoops kind of turned to crap after that season and has not recovered. That loss to MSU still stings though; we would have beaten them handily with Dyson.

One of my favorite regular season games was when we went into Freedom Hall as the #1 team in the country and stomped a Top 5 Louisville team. Earl Clark and Terrance Williams were always overrated to me. That was a satisfying night.

Reaction Score
did we suddenly become a preseason final 4 favorite and i didn't hear about it?

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I don't think I've ever watched that Louisville game since (I should), but in my mind that's the game where Louisville players were so scared of Thabeet blocking their shots that they just stopped going into the paint.

He was a beast against every team not named Pitt.
Adrien bullied Louisville the entire game and then went into his NFL Ken Norton Jr. boxing routine against the stanchion. Crowd hated it. I went nuts. Dominant performance over the #5 team in the country at that time.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
By the way that loss did not cause the sort of pain that the GWU loss caused. I view this loss in the same way I view the 02 Maryland loss. We went down to two really good, not great, but really good teams who had playmakers who stepped up. I can justify those losses, GWU was not that type of loss.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom