The XL "Experience" | The Boneyard

The XL "Experience"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yeesh...where do I begin?

*** Maybe WTIC doesn't want to pony up for the privilege of giving scores, but would it kill the XL Center (or Gampel for that matter) to show scores 3-4 times per half? I don't believe they even announced the UConn football score at yesterday's game. Or gave website link/media info. for today's men's soccer game.

*** Waited until the game was almost over to announce the attendance of Boo, Saunders and Rudy. And then waited until the timeout was ending and the ball was about to be out back into play.

*** Under 8 minute (2nd half) TV timeout...great time to play the UConn fight song.

What goes on in their pre-game meetings??? Thank God we have such an exciting team to watch, because the marketing/in-game people just don't have a clue.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
The scoreboards at the XL are awful. I know the one above the court was acquired from the Staples Center, but it offers no information other than a video relay of the game.

The forced U-C-O-N-N chant is the worst .... you shouldn't have to announce a cheer is coming up.

Need to hope and pray for that renovation.

Reaction Score
Some of the above are also complaints at football games (out of town scores, forced playing of the fight song and the UConn chant...).

I will say this about the out of town scores though, with the prevalence of smartphones, most people check the scores at will and the scores on their phones are more updated than the ones posted during the game. This renders the "WTIC Out of Town Scoreboard" irrelevant.

More...

Why can't Connecticut's largest indoor arena have HD screens?

Why can't the concourse tv's show the football game before the basketball game?

Why are the corner scoreboards nearly impossible to read from the 200 level seats? Most of the relevant information for the game was either too small to be seen from my seat or obstructed from my view by some combination of the jumbotron and wires.

Reaction Score
Not to mention all the suit and ties bailing with five minutes left in the game irregardless of what the score is. That is why, I get the Gampel package.

Reaction Score
Does anyone else have trouble getting a good wireless signal in Gampel?

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Does anyone else have trouble getting a good wireless signal in Gampel?

Gampel is the worst ... there's almost no way to get a signal. Thankfully XL is fine.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I cant stand the DJ at football and basketball games and also that girl that announces something every break. Sure its cute to ask kids who their favorite player is but I find her more annoying then good. Also the U-C-O-N-N chant that they now announce is ridiculous. It was fine before when it was done after a big play by Big Red, we dont need to be told when to do it or not.

Reaction Score
Not to mention all the suit and ties bailing with five minutes left in the game irregardless of what the score is. That is why, I get the Gampel package.

You mean no one leaves Gampel before the game is over????

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Honestly, I cant stand the DJ at football and basketball games and also that girl that announces something every break. Sure its cute to ask kids who their favorite player is but I find her more annoying then good. Also the U-C-O-N-N chant that they now announce is ridiculous. It was fine before when it was done after a big play by Big Red, we dont need to be told when to do it or not.
Next thing you know they'll be putting up an "applause" sign every time Drummond hits a FT.

Reaction Score
The scoreboards at the XL are awful. I know the one above the court was acquired from the Staples Center, but it offers no information other than a video relay of the game.

The forced U-C-O-N-N chant is the worst .... you shouldn't have to announce a cheer is coming up.

Need to hope and pray for that renovation.

Yeah what happened to all the information it used to show? It was fine until last year and then everything was gone. I'd rather not look in the corners when there is a huge freaking jumbotron right in front of me.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It was an involved lively crowd on Saturday and people wanna bitch about out of town scores? Haters gotta hate.

Reaction Score
Just use your cell phone, the DJ is a joke the rexix was from the music he was playing not his turn tables, why do people feel like they have to call it the XL Center I still call it the Civic Center and will always call it the Civic Center I will never call something by a stadium or arena by a corporate name.

Reaction Score
that emily noonan girl is annoying I do like the postgame interviews though hearing Boatright after the game was pretty cool

Reaction Score

And the thing is they don't have to. When Big Red does it at appropriate times it is awesome. I don't know why they think it's necessary to do it during some random time out. It's pretty lame at football games too, but at least they do it at a time that it makes sense. They just need a better way to get the whole stadium into it.

Reaction Score
Man people always find some way to complain about the XL center. It may be extremely outdated and the crowd can at times be weak (same goes with Gample). But I actually enjoy it there. Why?

Every seat has a back to it, rather that sitting on a bench where you loose half your seat during a sellout or some guys knees behind you are digging into your back the whole game.

They sell beer!

When sold-out, the 17,000 person crowd can be very crazy, like 2009 Pitt game.

You don't have to wait in traffic for an hour after the game like Gample.

Reaction Score
Whoever pulled the trigger on the UCONN chant at either the football or basketball games needs to be beaten with a sock filled with a cue ball. Gosh, that's embarrassingly bad.

Reaction Score
Although this is a bit of a downer thread, I do agree with most of it. Those cut out UCONN letters and the cheer is middle schoolish at best. They should 86 that cheer.

I wasn't at this game, so I don't know if they did one or two of those goodies but oldies get-the-crowd-cheering-&-clapping loud songs. It always works. The big letter cheer doesn't.

As for that Staple Center reject scoreboard, other than being big, it flat out s*cks! I keep finding myself looking up to see the score, player stats, TOs, fouls, etc, and it simply ain't there. Either reprogram it or get a new one.

Someone mentioned that the crowd was good on Saturday. On TV it sounded quiet most of the game. There was one Hog's possession in the 2nd half after a mini-UConn-scoring drought where I thought the team could have used a boost from the fans, but it seemed dead. Maybe, it wasn't as bad as it sounded. Maybe the crowd upped the volume near the end of the game, but compared to the UK fans in their game against UNC, it sounded like a morgue compared to Rup Arena.

Reaction Score
Man people always find some way to complain about the XL center. It may be extremely outdated and the crowd can at times be weak (same goes with Gample). But I actually enjoy it there. Why?

Every seat has a back to it, rather that sitting on a bench where you loose half your seat during a sellout or some guys knees behind you are digging into your back the whole game.

They sell beer!

When sold-out, the 17,000 person crowd can be very crazy, like 2009 Pitt game.

You don't have to wait in traffic for an hour after the game like Gample.

its the Civic Center not the XL Center :D

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
students did it at the XL Center also

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
the "Wave" fizzled into a puddle 3 sections over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics