The worst thing about cuse and unc scandals | The Boneyard

The worst thing about cuse and unc scandals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is that we get lumped in with them, because of the APR fiasco. In the eyes of the media, and subsequently the public, our inability to achieve a passing score on a faulty metric that doesn't even measure what its name implies is equivalent to gross academic fraud on an institutional level, intentionally deceptive drug-testing, extra benefits to players, etc

It sucks to have Calhoun tagged with the same charge as Boeheim (and presumably soon Roy williams, too), "lack of institutional control," when the charges are not even remotely comparable. I'm not ignorant of the fact that shady practices go on at every school (even all the blue bloods have been dinged with multiple major infractions), but I think it's lazy to just lump them all in the same boat when it's convenient to make a point.

Just felt like rambling a bit after reading several articles on the state of the NCAA, and it's recent scandals, which included miami, penn state, auburn, unc, cuse, uconn, etc

edit: obviously uconn/calhoun's reputation is only the worst thing as a husky fan.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I figured the worst thing was that the punishment didn't meet the crime....

Reaction Score
I think boeheim might have saved the program with his current recruiting class already being wrapped up and having the postseason ban this year. If he didn't have a great class already signed the recruiting restrictions would take place immediately (they'll still hurt but not as much now). Also, if they didn't self-impose the tourney ban this year and it got handed down for next year instead (or if they just tacked on an additional year ban) they would have likely seen the mass exodus of recruits and current upperclassmen that we saw from the APR ban.

There doesn't seem to be anyone who thinks the punishments for cuse were appropriate. They were either way too harsh, or a joke...no real middle ground. The only consensus seems to be that the cuse program will recover, which is odd because everyone thought our ban (coupled with conference realignment) would destroy the program.

Reaction Score
I think the problem with NCAA investigations is they are so mysterious and nobody in the media bothers to communicate with the public/fanbase of what all the allegations are and what they mean. In our situation, people heard that we were banned because of the APR. When they hear the word "academic" they immediately just think that our players failed out of class...and thats not even what the APR is.

Reaction Score
Is that we get lumped in with them, because of the APR fiasco. In the eyes of the media, and subsequently the public, our inability to achieve a passing score on a faulty metric that doesn't even measure what its name implies is equivalent to gross academic fraud on an institutional level, intentionally deceptive drug-testing, extra benefits to players, etc

It sucks to have Calhoun tagged with the same charge as Boeheim (and presumably soon Roy williams, too), "lack of institutional control," when the charges are not even remotely comparable. I'm not ignorant of the fact that shady practices go on at every school (even all the blue bloods have been dinged with multiple major infractions), but I think it's lazy to just lump them all in the same boat when it's convenient to make a point.

Just felt like rambling a bit after reading several articles on the state of the NCAA, and it's recent scandals, which included miami, penn state, auburn, unc, cuse, uconn, etc

edit: obviously uconn/calhoun's reputation is only the worst thing as a husky fan.
correct me if I'm wrong, but JC's "lack of institutional control" had nothing to do w APR. It was related to the Nate Miles fiasco, with Nochimson and all the unallowed texts and phone calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom