The WNBA's True Purpose and | The Boneyard

The WNBA's True Purpose and

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So, after a few months of EDD and a few others lobbying for more $ while suggesting that the true financial picture was on their side, what happened. Adam Silver came out and said the WNBA has lost at least $10 Million a yeara since its founding and last year it lost $12 Million, BUT the NBA is committed to the WNBA for the long haul.

Now, the question is why? What is in it for the NBA? Only one real answer I would suggest. PR. It helps cover up the warts and misdeeds of the biggest bunch of womanizers in professional athletics. The loss per year is chump change to the NBA. So it's good business. And if it is good business, then it would hardly be noticed to pay these athletes twice what they are making now.

I want the WNBA around so that the best of our college women ballers have something to shoot for here and not abroad. I want it around because it is the feeder system for the US National Team. But will the WNBA ever be a popular pro sports league? I doubt it. 23 years of empirical data suggests otherwise.

Reaction Score
It probably has to do with trying to market basketball to a wider audience.

Reaction Score
I say this all the time, but I think one of the biggest problems is not enough teams. It’s hard for the nation to embrace a 12 team league. If I didn’t have a local team, I’m not sure I’d be into the WNBA.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44
Top Bottom