The WNBA Rumbles At Caitlin And Paige (merged thread) | The Boneyard

The WNBA Rumbles At Caitlin And Paige (merged thread)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
There is an extended article by ESPN that explores the pluses and minuses of accelerating eligibility for the draft for those like Oaige and Caitlin. Sue and DT chip in some thoughts. We get deep in the article before it is let out that the realistic time frame is 2026 when the collective bargaining agreement comes up for massaging. But it is a well done piece and I comment it to you.

An elephant in the room is the tight size of the WNBA rosters and the relatively small number of teams. Neither Sue or DT or Jewel Loyd mentioned the economic impact of this small WNBA taking players at an accelerated basis. And maybe the league would only take 1 or 2 fast trackers a year. Who represents the new entrants in that negotiation. Well, if NIL legislation comes storming in young athletes may make a ton of money staying right where they are. There is no direct comparison, but here is an interesting contrast: Seattle Storm Twitter followers 76.2k and Paige 800k.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Interesting question. One of the things I enjoy most about the women's game is you get to watch the star players (and their respective team itself) develop over the 3-4 years they are in the college game. Now with questions being raised like "why can't they have a choice like the men do to enter the draft earlier?" it could be only a matter of time when the draft rules for the WNBA become similar to those of the NBA.

Reaction Score
Posted this around the same time as you. Sorry for the "cross-thread".

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not sure what they will do. I certainly enjoy the continuity of WCBB where we get to see players play for at least 3 years usually before becoming eligible.

Not sure I can recall a player leaving before their junior season was over. Did Cappie leave for Europe before the end of her junior year?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Not sure what they will do. I certainly enjoy the continuity of WCBB where we get to see players play for at least 3 years usually before becoming eligible.

Not sure I can recall a player leaving before their junior season was over. Did Cappie leave for Europe before the end of her junior year?
I don't recall Cappie doing that, though she did leave Rutgers in the fall of her junior year for a time.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Many former UConn players, now playing in WNBA and overseas, have suggested that it's difficult to make a living by just playing in the WNBA. Anyone considering leaving school early should understand that if you don't make it as a pro player, you should have something to fall back on. And even those with successful pro careers are still branching out into other areas. And yes, I know that male players leave early all the time, however it's an important lesson to get in front of the discussion of changing WNBA eligibility rules.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
It was not changed for Kelsey Mitchell or Chennedy Carter. Why change it now?

Reaction Score
We all want to see our favorite players stay with our favorite teams but women being treated differently must and eventually will end.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
What I find amazing about the WNBA following in the footsteps of the NBA and using the NBA as an example is how much the difference in pay is and will be. NBA players can make as much money during their first contract that most people will make in their entire work life, if not way more. Heck, the minimum annual salary is $900,000. Can't say the same about the W.

Reaction Score
But one does make a good- very good!- living playing in the overseas leagues. Anna just decided to go pro. What would Paige earn were she to play a couple of years in Europe? Seems as though a lot of European and Aussie players don't even bother with the WNBA.

Reaction Score
Paige is what the WNBA has prayed about. She’s the only one who could save their popularity. But Paige wants to be developed by the best coach ever so she ain’t going no where until she graduates.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
But one does make a good- very good!- living playing in the overseas leagues. Anna just decided to go pro. What would Paige earn were she to play a couple of years in Europe? Seems as though a lot of European and Aussie players don't even bother with the WNBA.
Good point, although the counter is that there are a lot of women playing virtually year round to make bank, vs men in the NBA that get time off. That's a significant factor.

Reaction Score
Enjoy the college experience. Mature physically and mentally. No reason to rush it.
It's kind of strange that the ESPN article and most discussion of this topic hasn't been about the moolah. GMP says here there's "no reason to rush it." Sure there is: the moolah.
It's fun to ponder the desire of college players to get to the WNBA in order to test their mettle against the best players in the world. LOL. But, in reality, it's the other kind of metal (the gold kind) that motivates most.
There are a number of popular proposals going around at the moment, and there's no way to know where the dust will settle. For example, if student-athletes (aka/amateurs) are paid for their NILs (over the prostrate body of the NCAA), how will that affect the money lure of the pros? Certainly the dollar amounts will be piddling compared to the wealth available in the NBA, but the market will not currently support paying women what the men get--or anywhere near it.
Truth is that Paige's good friend Jalen Suggs (the "J" in PB&J) will leave the Zags and make millions next year, and Slim will stay put and made nada.
The real disconnect is the realization that we on the BY are much more appreciative of the women's game than most other sports fans. We value more what others value less. Tough.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Many former UConn players, now playing in WNBA and overseas, have suggested that it's difficult to make a living by just playing in the WNBA. Anyone considering leaving school early should understand that if you don't make it as a pro player, you should have something to fall back on. And even those with successful pro careers are still branching out into other areas. And yes, I know that male players leave early all the time, however it's an important lesson to get in front of the discussion of changing WNBA eligibility rules.
Yes. Indeed, the pro life for women is a nomadic and frequently lonely life as compared to the men's game. I've always been puzzled by so many young women who choose to play WCBB close to home, making them ill prepared for the itinerant life, a life of personal responsibility that is professional BB. In the pros you practice when, where, and in what gym you can. The responsibility for strength and conditioning are solely on you with no coach pushing you to improve. You want a spot on a roster you earn it. If not, figure out your weaknesses, work on them and try again next year. If you get injured there's not the well organized medical staff to aide in your recovery there is in college. You choose the doctors, the surgeons, the treatment, and the rehab, and they all need to be paid out of your pocket. Housing, vehicles, foreign language, foreign food? Figure it out. Money? You aren't getting near what the men do, so figure it out. As Megan Culmo has said, delay that reality of life for as long as you can. It'll still be there.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I enjoy women's college basketball BECAUSE the players stick around for four years for the most part. There's some continuity, enough time to get to know them a little bit.

Reaction Score
It will be the death of Women’s NC A A basketball
A sad day if it happens
And I will be done too!!!!

Reaction Score
If women go to one and done, I’m done. Instead of changing it for the women, change it for the men. The current men’s rule is why I don’t watch their game.
The men's game sucks. One and done and the transfer rules are destroying the game.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I would love to see young men and young women go to college for 4 years and graduate
while maturing in a variety of ways...ready to hit the real world running. That would go for athletes and just regular students.
I would hope that choice would remain...emphasis on 'choice'.

The NBA has a current 'one and done' rule...I think that is up for change to allow high school grads to enter the draft.
The WNBA has the '3 years from high school graduation' till eligible...correct?

Would someone please explain to me why it is ethical/appropriate/honorable to tell a young adult just out of high school that he/she can join the armed services...get weaponized...be sent to dangerous places around the globe...maybe come back severely injured....or not come back at all....BUT...that same person is not allowed to try out for a position on an NBA or WNBA team? It's legal to do just that now...that hardly makes it right.

I hope that a legal challenge is made to overturn that bizarre double standard...for men and women. If that happens I hope the young adults will make wise decisions regarding their future....if that includes players like Paige and Azzi who want the full college experience on and off the courts...great!

High school grads able to get a job playing in the pros right now include baseball players/golfers/tennis players etc.
Why allow them to make that choice...and not hoopsters?

Reaction Score
If women go to one and done, I’m done. Instead of changing it for the women, change it for the men. The current men’s rule is why I don’t watch their game.
Like others have said, the combination of the one and done and the constant transfers has made the men’s game less enjoyable. Part of the fun of college hoops is watching players develop and young teams grow from year to year, but it’s hard to even keep up with who plays for what team in the men’s game given all the annual turnover.

However, athletes only have a finite number of years to make money from their craft, so I do think there’s something unfair about forcing women’s players to stay all four years. I feel like there’s a good middle ground where players have to stay for two or three years, and then they can decide what’s in their best interest from there.

(Baseball’s approach has always been my favorite - players have the option to go pro from high school, but if they go to college, they have to stay at least three years.)

Reaction Score
Does anyone remember how many threads will put out there for the girl who should not be named. If it becomes a one and done who cares who we sign they’ll be gone in a year. I for one would lose interest in the recruiting process for the big-name high school players. Coaches may be better off finding the mid-level player and developing them. That’s when you’ll see how good a coach is. Can you imagine how disappointed we would be if Paige left after this year. sorry to see you go didn’t get to know you won’t bother to follow you. We won’t have time to become invested in a player and then to watch their career in the W. How much do we enjoy hearing about former UConn players killing it in the league because we got to know them. I understand the double standard is not fair but I’m being selfish here. Maybe when the players in college can get paid for their likeness they’ll stick around longer. I think there should be a clause stating that a certain percentage of that money should be pooled for the other teammates. Without them there is no Freshman of the year, Player of the year. MOP of the tournament. The college basketball community is heading down a very slippery slope and they better tread carefully or they will lose all of the good faith they earned this year from an outstanding tournament

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom