The wisdom of Dan Orlovsky - v1.0 | The Boneyard

The wisdom of Dan Orlovsky - v1.0

Reaction Score
“2 things that a lot of CFB fan bases need to understand when it comes to new coaches at their programs
-you DONT “find” offensive linemen. You DEVELOP them. That takes 3+ years of coaching & weight room commitment.
-the QB success is incredibly dependent on WR talent/coaching”

ok. I’m buying what he’s selling. Because I need to be thinking good thoughts until I see a Scoreboard I like.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Or.. just maybe a guy with a career losing record just may not be the guy to get us out of this rut.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Love me some DO but unless he's buying our young, wide open receivers 6ft arms......

Reaction Score
I think we call this “Valley Wisdom” ... he actually gets Connecticut. I think he really understands the modern game & how the CFB development works.
Plus we need ALL 3 of his triplets

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Love me some DO but unless he's buying our young, wide open receivers 6ft arms......

Honestly, this!

The receivers look plenty good this year. They are getting missed by 5 to 10 yards often. Orlovsky can't blame the receivers for what we're seeing.

We need a QB with composure and a little touch. Right now, we don't have that...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
You also need the different units improving and maturing at the same time. Next season we lose how many linemen?

Our WR have been open and not just on the obvious overthrows. They are young, too. No issues there. The QB, not much to say, needs to start with basic accuracy before we can evaluate the rest. RB will be an unknown as will a couple spots on the OL.

The DL doesn't seem much improved, though they at least get an occasional pressure even if they generally get pushed around. LB is still a work in progress especially side to side. DB's are more consistent but still get beat too easily.

The schemes and play calling outside a couple headscratcher (the one yard center screen, I assume it's a screen) is notable here. There is a passing game to be had and the move to a 4-2-5 is way better than the 3-3-5. Far easier to being a safety down for this group than having LB's doing more than they can handle.

Specials are much less of an adventure.

It may not show on the scoreboard but there are clear signs of improvement. Last weeks abomination aside. I discount the entire 4th quarter. Before that Navy was clearly targeting a few guys on the right side of the defense. Says we lack 11 to put on the field. The O, falls on the QB. Any other year, he gets yanked in the first half. This year, the choices are a grad student who is gone in 3 games or a 4th string freshman or a walk-on.

The biggest question about the program and RE to ask is are they developing the culture that was responsible for the success during RE 1.0. Can't answer that, but I don't see an Osunde, Fincher, or Orlovsky because we don't hear from the players.

Reaction Score
At RB next year we have Mensah back and Black looks like he can play in his limited reps so far.

Reaction Score
Dan Orlovsky used to destroy Bob Diaco online. Right now Randy 2.0 is worse than wacky Bob. Dan’s opinion on Randy is hardly without bias. I say this while expecting Edsall back next year and being okay with it.

Why are folks assuming this was pointed @ UConn/Edsall?

Reaction Score
Why are folks assuming this was pointed @ UConn/Edsall?

Maybe not that comment, but during the Navy game they spent some time talking about Orlovsky explaining about Edsall needing more time and i even believe he alluded to a 5 year plan.

Reaction Score
Maybe not that comment, but during the Navy game they spent some time talking about Orlovsky explaining about Edsall needing more time and i even believe he alluded to a 5 year plan.

Ahhh... there was a canned interview of Orlovsky talking about UConn’s challenges and his thoughts about going independent.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He’s also helping his friend and mentor buy more time. Hopefully, Dan also tells Randy to get the help he needs and modernize.
Read this as “Hopefully, Dan also tells Randy to get the help he needs and moisturize”

Reaction Score
“2 things that a lot of CFB fan bases need to understand when it comes to new coaches at their programs
-you DONT “find” offensive linemen. You DEVELOP them. That takes 3+ years of coaching & weight room commitment.
-the QB success is incredibly dependent on WR talent/coaching”

ok. I’m buying what he’s selling. Because I need to be thinking good thoughts until I see a Scoreboard I like.
The first thing I would ask DanO is, if what he says is true then why do NFL coaches get fired left and right, all the time. Gee Dan, how do NFL coaches lose games, all their players are pros? Gee Dan, could they maybe call wrong plays on a consistent a basis? Are they not able to recognize talent? Or recruit said talent? Are they not aggressive enough in their game philosophy? If you just were named head coach of the NY Giants how much time would you need to make them a winner? 5 years? 8 years?

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Dan was referring to Randy when he said give it time. We get it. He loves the guy. He’s wrong, however. This coach has lost touch. Gone in December. Make it so AD Dave.

Reaction Score
Does anyone really believe Randy won’t be back next year? If so you’re dreaming.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
CFB is not the NFL.
RE is not worse than Diaco.

We as a fanbase need to take a step back. There is only one way out of this. Hard work and patience. If RE2 isn't working as hard as RE1, then we can talk about which has been or never will be should be his replacement.

Reaction Score
Does anyone really believe Randy won’t be back next year? If so you’re dreaming.

yeah. Not worth feeding this

Was there a slight chance if the Team was totally lost of Benedict making a change ... at UConn (I feel both Diaco & PP) we got to a point too far. Randy will grind & evaluate & bring 20 solid development kids in Dec&Feb. So, I think it was always low probability.

Then the conference transition. This pretty much guaranteed that Edsall was a key University player & not just the Head Ball Coach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom