The WBCA Freshman of the Year is... | The Boneyard

The WBCA Freshman of the Year is...

Reaction Score
TEXAS A&M’S CHENNEDY CARTER NAMED 2018
WBCA NCAA DIVISION I FRESHMAN OF THE YEAR

ATLANTA (March 27, 2018)Chennedy Carter of Texas A&M University is the winner of the 2018 WBCA NCAA Division I Freshman of the Year presented by adidas, the Women's Basketball Coaches Association announced today.

[MORE]

Reaction Score
Kind of interesting that in this era of not only political correctness, but also gender correctness, and when many colleges, certainly all of the women's colleges, have ceased using the term fresh"man" and replaced it with "first year," that a women's organization like the WBCA still designates a Fresh"man" of the year.

Geez, don't tell me that the WBCA is run by men. :eek: :rolleyes:

(PS. yes, I am fully aware that the first sentence is 55 words in length.) :cool:

Reaction Score
Kind of interesting that in this era of not only political correctness, but also gender correctness, and when many colleges, certainly all of the women's colleges, have ceased using the term fresh"man" and replaced it with "first year," that a women's organization like the WBCA still designates a Fresh"man" of the year.

Geez, don't tell me that the WBCA is run by men. :eek: :rolleyes:

(PS. yes, I am fully aware that the first sentence is 55 words in length.) :cool:

Given that most players & coaches use "man-to-man' defense terminology, not a stretch.
Plus if you say "first year," some might confuse it with a "rookie of the year" award which would mean including transfers.

Reaction Score

ATLANTA (March 27, 2018)Chennedy Carter of Texas A&M University is the winner of the 2018 WBCA NCAA Division I Freshman of the Year presented by adidas, the Women's Basketball Coaches Association announced today.

[MORE]

Kenny Kallina was right. Back in the summer he rated players by who would be the best college ready players. Carter was tops over everyone including Walker and the Tenn pg. very impressive job by him. Carter was #6 hgirlz.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I called it last April at the Jordan Brand game. She was really good and aggressive and would have unlimited opportunity plus the ball in her hands at TAMU. I was hoping it would be Megan, but Chennedy is not playing behind 6 All-American-caliber players.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Kenny Kallina was right. Back in the summer he rated players by who would be the best college ready players. Carter was tops over everyone including Walker and the Tenn pg. very impressive job by him. Carter was #6 hgirlz.
Does the name Kelsey Mitchell mean anything to anyone? Yes, she had a great year and if she works on her defense maybe she could be a 1st team All-American. I just worry she gets too offensive happy to the detriment of her team and her own game development ala Kelsey...:oops:

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I called it last April at the Jordan Brand game. She was really good and aggressive and would have unlimited opportunity plus the ball in her hands at TAMU. I was hoping it would be Megan, but Chennedy is not playing behind 6 All-American-caliber players.

I think a lot of people saw it actually. I noted it in USA basketball. She was another level. I need to do some digging on her recruitment though. She is getting some twitter love for choosing TAMU and not going to Texas or Baylor but i seem to remember something in print or online that the 3 freshman PGs were not going to the same schools (Alexis Morris, Chasity Patterson, and Carter). I even think Baylor was in the picture when Morris verballed to UCLA then de committed and went to Baylor and then Carter ended up at TAMU. She obviously made the correct choice but i am curious now how it all went down.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I am not sure if you got the memo but we don’t mention that “person’s” name around here..he’s sort of dead to us.:rolleyes:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

[MORE]

Big congrats to her. She was the standout freshman for women’s basketball. Great competitor and huge upside to improve too. My guess is she makes strides each year under Blair and will be an AA next year.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Given that most players & coaches use "man-to-man' defense terminology, not a stretch.
Plus if you say "first year," some might confuse it with a "rookie of the year" award which would mean including transfers.
I believe transfer's awards are the "Newcomer of the Year" award. Z won it in the AAC. Iimar’i Thomas of Cincinnati (and Oakland, Calif.) was named freshman of the year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom