The Way Back Is Clear and Probable | The Boneyard

The Way Back Is Clear and Probable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We can infer from comments by both Jalen and CV that they will return next year, and with that, the deterioration of UConn's on-court performance ends. It ends, assuming that their show of loyalty provides example to everyone who now comprise next year's cast of characters. This includes Coach KO.

And, using reasonable assumption, the way back to tournament-class basketball becomes clear and probable.

If Jalen and CV return as no better players than this year, the deterioration ends, because the backcourt backup of Gilbert and Akinjo shapes up as no worse than Anderson alone.

The deterioration ends because the combination of Wilson, Matthews and Polley at the three shapes up as no worse than Larrier and Polley..

The deterioration ends because Diarra, Carlton and Whaley figure to be no worse as sophomores than as freshmen, and the addition of Kisunas lends support to this group.

The deterioration ends because Cobb and Williams (or their replacements) are not likely to contribute less next year than they did this year.

And, finally, KO is not likely to become an even less effective coach next year.

So the deterioration absolutely ends, and at worse, we repeat our 14-17 regular season.

But, now, re-read the above statements and consider what a severe understatement each really is -- I mean, if we are making reasonable assumptions. Are not Jalen and CV likely to be improved? Are not Gilbert and Akinjo likely to be a large step forward from Anderson? Are not Wilson, Matthews and a sophomore Polley likely to improve on Larrier and the freshman Polley? Are not Diarra, Carlton and Whaley likely to be better sophomores than freshmen? Are we not likely to get something from Kisunas and more from Cobb and Williams or their replacements?

Clearly the answer to all these questions is yes, and that is why the way back is clear. Is it probable? It is probable only if a KO firing does not rearrange the cast of characters. But since the above assessment can be made by DB as easily as by me, I don't believe we are going to see a KO firing.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Not buying any improvements next year. We can't count on Gilbert. Mamas knees are still going to limit how much he is used. Polley will need to look at tape of Rip but I doubt he does. Our bigs need to be stronger but what in the last few years tells you that will happen. Cobb Kwinton practice squad. The rest freshmen (and not one and done freshmen). My biggest disappointment is that I saw very little improvement in this years team.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
We can infer from comments by both Jalen and CV that they will return next year, and with that, the deterioration of UConn's on-court performance ends. It ends, assuming that their show of loyalty provides example to everyone who now comprise next year's cast of characters. This includes Coach KO.

And, using reasonable assumption, the way back to tournament-class basketball becomes clear and probable.

If Jalen and CV return as no better players than this year, the deterioration ends, because the backcourt backup of Gilbert and Akinjo shapes up as no worse than Anderson alone.

The deterioration ends because the combination of Wilson, Matthews and Polley at the three shapes up as no worse than Larrier and Polley..

The deterioration ends because Diarra, Carlton and Whaley figure to be no worse as sophomores than as freshmen, and the addition of Kisunas lends support to this group.

The deterioration ends because Cobb and Williams (or their replacements) are not likely to contribute less next year than they did this year.

And, finally, KO is not likely to become an even less effective coach next year.

So the deterioration absolutely ends, and at worse, we repeat our 14-17 regular season.

But, now, re-read the above statements and consider what a severe understatement each really is -- I mean, if we are making reasonable assumptions. Are not Jalen and CV likely to be improved? Are not Gilbert and Akinjo likely to be a large step forward from Anderson? Are not Wilson, Matthews and a sophomore Polley likely to improve on Larrier and the freshman Polley? Are not Diarra, Carlton and Whaley likely to be better sophomores than freshmen? Are we not likely to get something from Kisunas and more from Cobb and Williams or their replacements?

Clearly the answer to all these questions is yes, and that is why the way back is clear. Is it probable? It is probable only if a KO firing does not rearrange the cast of characters. But since the above assessment can be made by DB as easily as by me, I don't believe we are going to see a KO firing.

keep this up, and you're going to be as disliked as me around here

although I do appreciate the company :cool:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Honestly, as a “fire Ollie” guy (wasn’t one earlier this year), this is mostly true. They might even get over .500.

So that’s the objective now? Doing the same things we know don’t work, and hoping young players improve is “the way back”? If that’s true, then almost every young and bad team in the country should improve next year right? Problem solved! Pay no attention to the lack of any offensive game plan or in game adjustments. Pay no attention to the irrational and Mr. Magoo like substitution and lineup patterns. Pay no attention to the fact that our players leave the 3 point line open...because the coach’s approach to D devalues it. We don’t have to worry that our team plays with less of a “team” mindset than five strangers in a pickup game. Our guys will be older! We are saved!

pj

Reaction Score
It's certain that if the recruits show up and no one transfers, we'll be better next year than this year. Gilbert, Akinjo, Sid Wilson, and Matthews represent a major talent infusion, plus all the other key parts will be a year more experienced.

But that's an independent question of whether the coach should be back. If KO just isn't a good coach, you'd still want to upgrade.

Reaction Score
If KO is back as coach next year I wouldn't expect any clear way back. We will continue on our downward spiral and this whole topic of KO will rear it's ugly head again next year. We need to move on with a new coach now.

Reaction Score
I never realized it could be so simple until you broke it down like that for me.

15-16 record, here we come!!!!

I think my post suggests the wherewithal for more than one additional win. My goal for next year might be 19 or 20 wins with a chance for lightning to strike in the AAC tourney. The excitement of next year would be in the development of our 9 freshmen and sophomores, the maturation of Vital as a leader, and the hope of filling 3 slots with promising recruits. That would open up all possibilities for 2019-20. I say that as an 80-year-old whose horizon extends to two more seasons, tops.

Reaction Score

We can't miss the NCAA tournament for a 3rd straight year.

There was a single team that will make the tournament this year that was as bad as we are now last year.

Missouri.

Because they fired their coach and the new coach brought with him a top 5 recruiting class. (the brothers Porter, Tilmon, etc.). They also had only one senior on the previous team.

Reaction Score
I think my post suggests the wherewithal for more than one additional win. My goal for next year might be 19 or 20 wins with a chance for lightning to strike in the AAC tourney. The excitement of next year would be in the development of our 9 freshmen and sophomores, the maturation of Vital as a leader, and the hope of filling 3 slots with promising recruits. That would open up all possibilities for 2019-20. I say that as an 80-year-old whose horizon extends to two more seasons, tops.

Whistling past the graveyard. You would have done the same analysis last year. Also, I doubt Gilbert will be back.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Because they fired their coach and the new coach brought with him a top 5 recruiting class. (the brothers Porter, Tilmon, etc.). They also had only one senior on the previous team.

And the only reason they got those guys was because they hired their father.

If we stack the assistant coaching positions with Top 10 players' dads, we should be good.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

At worst? AT WORST??? At worst, Jigsaw is waiting in my closet and will slowly torture me for the next 72 hours for running a red light before giving me the sweet release of death.

I ain't a doctor but I know how to diagnose Stockholm Syndrome when I see it.

I defended KO longer than most but , we went FOURTEEN AND EIGHTEEN IN THE AMERICAN ATHLETIC CONFERENCE, a year after having what we all expected would be the worst season in 3 decades.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
We will never know the answer to this riddle, everything is going to be different now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom