The Vols' ultimate revenge on UConn in 2013 | The Boneyard

The Vols' ultimate revenge on UConn in 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
As is well known, to a certain group of enlightened beings down in Tennessee territory the top goal for the season is not really to win an NC crown but rather to have the toughest strength of schedule, the kind that would leave Chuck Norris begging for cyanide and send the rest of the WCBB teams into hysterical fits of incredulous disbelief. NCs can just come down to some idiot refs not calling 40 fouls against your opponent, but the toughest SOS is a masterpiece of masochistic majesty that teams from CT can't understand or appreciate properly.

However, this year with some SEC members not pulling their weight and the usual avoidance of the nation's top team once again, UTenn never really got the engines going for the SOS title. The battle for the top SOS was left to Baylor and UConn. Now Vol Summiteer fans may hate the Bears with some fervor and heap the most evil sounding epithets on Baylor's star Brittney Griner, but that is weak bile compared to the abuse that is spat at their baddest bedeviler UConn. This might not be UTenn's year to win the SOS title, but no way were the Vols going to allow UConn to claim the title.

So in late March UConn was closing in on the front-running Bears for the SOS crown, and when Baylor went down to Louisville in the Sweet 16, it looked like the way was open for the Huskies. A game against #6 rated Kentucky in the Elite 8 and a win over then #2 ND in the semis would bring the Huskies to the brink of the title, and then all that was needed was for #8 Tennessee to knock off lower-rated Louisville and California before folding up shop in the NC against UConn again and voila, the title of the toughest slate makers would belong to the Huskies.

But no, the Vols wouldn't stand by and watch UConn not only win its 8th NC against them but also steal the revered SOS crown. The obvious answer: blow the game against Louisville and let the rest of the season unwind with the following results in the Sagarin SOS rankings:

1. Baylor -- 83.54
2. UConn -- 83.53

Somewhere you know Maria is rubbing her palms together and cackling, "Heh, heh, heh, foiled'em again."

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Oh The final four is in Nashville this year. :) I am planning on going.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Oh The final four is in Nashville this year. :) I am planning on going.
Well, let's hope that the SOS title comes down to that final game in Nashville so that we all know what the women are really playing for.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
NC game in Nashville UConn vs Tennessee for NC #9 I like it.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I am already planning my trip. I will be back from my honeymoon for about two weeks, but I am fully planning on going to Nashville to watch UConn win #9.

With a killer tan.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the explanation DR2. I was consternated not understanding how Tennessee possibly have lost to Kentucky, and you've put my mind at ease. It was intentional! It takes great resolve to lose a game that could be easily won. TN once again proves they are a great team!

Reaction Score
I really don't care if UCONN wins the SOS title as long as they win NC #9. I see UCONN and Duke making the final four with Tennessee, Stanford, Notre Dame, Maryland, Louisville, and Kentucky fighting for the other two spots.

Reactions: HGN
Reaction Score
Speaking of Maria when is she making that Freedom of Info request to find out more about Maya's trip to ESPN?

Reaction Score
But no, the Vols wouldn't stand by and watch UConn not only win its 8th NC against them but also steal the revered SOS crown. The obvious answer: blow the game against Louisville and let the rest of the season unwind with the following results in the Sagarin SOS rankings:

1. Baylor -- 83.54
2. UConn -- 83.53

Somewhere you know Maria is rubbing her palms together and cackling, "Heh, heh, heh, foiled'em again.

Those evil mean connivers, we must destroy them!

HGN

Reaction Score
I really don't care if UCONN wins the SOS title as long as they win NC #9. I see UCONN and Duke making the final four with Tennessee, Stanford, Notre Dame, Maryland, Louisville, and Kentucky fighting for the other two spots.
I agree Connboy.........I think UConn and Duke should be half the FF. But I would also throw in North Carolina as one to watch too....Depends upon how fast that team develops. It has some horses but can the coach ride them to the finish line.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I am already planning my trip. I will be back from my honeymoon for about two weeks, but I am fully planning on going to Nashville to watch UConn win #9.

With a killer tan.
Well, congrats on the upcoming nuptials and following trip to some warm sunny place.

I would be a little cautious about making the arrangements for Nashville though. In the latest Sagartan ratings, your proposed killer tan is only rated #7, so you do have some work to do to get it up in the top 4. Work a little more on the drop-dead bronziness and the knock'em-dead glow and you should be ready for the Grand Ole O'Spray competition there. And a reminder, do not use any products from Blue Tanning & Beauty there, as any competitors from down Knoxville way may seek to have you DQed.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score

With a killer tan.

UConn has a killer tan?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
If UConn is injury free and everybody gets back of very close to 100% health. I don't see any team coming within 20 pts of UConn. There are going to be a lot of 50+ pt wins this season. If Tenn made the FF and had to play UConn it wouldn't be pretty and the LVs would have to sit there and watch the pounding. That would really hurt and then watch UConn break the record of 8 NCs in their home state perhaps against their beloved LVs. That would be very tuff for many of them to take.

As far as who makes the FF. Well Duke should but they didn't last season with all that talent. UNC is talented but young and really imo is not disciplined on defense. Stanford could but that's a wait and see too. Can Chiney carry them. Who are some sleepers like a Cal or Marist etc? Will ND be back? ND has a good nucleaus coming back. How bout Louisville they have everybody coming back but lack height to compete with UConn. In fact every team lacks the height and athleticism that UConn has. This season UConn stand clearly above any other team. Everybody else is fighting for number 1 seeds.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Thanks! I'm pretty confidant my team will be there. ;)
As I am sure you were last year. And the year before that, and the year before that and the year before that.

Oh yeah....I left one off. The first round loss to Ball State.

Your optimism is commendable. I'm not sure it's warranted. When your senior leader plays selfishly its difficult to succeed at the highest level.

They have averaged 28-7 with a first round loss, a sweet sixteen loss and 3 elite eight losses over the last 5 years. Hardly Tennessee-like. The prior ten years, they averaged 32-4. They won 2 NC's, 3 runner ups, 2 semi finals, 2 EE and 1 sweet sixteen. A dominant type stretch.

Now, can Tennessee return to prior success levels? Maybe. But they are not there yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom