The View From Section 241 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241

Reaction Score
The second half, and the fourth quarter in particular, was filled with TV time outs—feels like that could impact building a rhythm. The on-field timekeeper must have brought his digital board out at least five times, eating up 2:30 a pop. While sometimes it’s a gift of time to regroup, it felt excessive yesterday—how many wacky product commercials does CBSSports Network need to air? If it happened all day, we would have been there as long as a Red Sox playoff game...

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
You’re allowed. If Tyler P stays, I hope I’m wrong.
I think he is a bit overrated on here because he truly did bring life to the offense. He was good....comparitively. To me it was obvious he wasn't ready. He was very inaccurate.

He may develop...but it isn't a slam dunk.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
if the next HC decides to go with Tyler Phommachanh, then they need to nicely help the remaining QB's find a new school and bring in other dual threat QB's.

I'm a believer that you can have a pocket or pro style passer and bring in a dual threat mid game and be effective. Line keeps their blocks and assignments and dual threat QB finds the seams.

If you have a dual threat and he gets hurt (And let's face it Tyler Phommachanh isn't getting to 6'2" 220 lbs), bringing in a pocket passer is much harder. It's not just the play calling adjustments, it's the blocking schemes and the timing that are really tough to adjust to mid game.
I favor any WB whose name I can pronounce and sell correctly without practice. Brady, Wilson, Rogers. Just kidding. Yeah, I kind of agree. But talent and execution in any event.

What strikes me most over the last few years about most of our play, not just QB, is some lack of instinctive reaction. I know few of our players are Alabama quality, but all of them were good enough in hs to be recruited by a lot of colleges in a reasonable level of completion. It isn’t that noticeable. Maybe REs ultra conservatism takes the edge off. But his first time around his teams were generally pretty competitive against most opposition.

anyway, it’s only football.

Reaction Score
Gravity definitely flows from losing programs to winning programs. The portal was invented by the top programs to paper over recruiting mistakes and scholarship caps.
Typically, most kids going into the portal move down, not up.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Nothing personal against any of our players. Several of them like Carter have played hard and showed they can play at a winning level. McFadden has been as good if not better than expected. I like Fortin at C but he's been injury prone and I believe there are plenty of other options in football at C beyond him.

But.........................is there really any player on this team that is above the 50 percentile within their position? Even UConn's "best" players would have a hard time getting a spot on the two deep on a top 50 program.
So yes, UConn may lose some of their better players. I expect them too based on the schemes of the new coach and his coordinators. Same for the recruiting class. I was pleasantly surprised at the level of recruits and quantity of recruits UConn had for class of '22. SEveral decommits already and I expect at least half of the remaining recruits to decommit. Good news is the new coach can bring in some other players of decent quality and better hit the transfer portal hard.

That's not the point. Whomever leaves gets replaced by a true freshman...in 2023 or the guys on the bench. Some of these guys will get better. This isn't fantasy football where you can plug and play guys. Them playing together adds value.

Losing guys from this years recruiting class will hurt just as much. This hire is super important for a lot of reasons.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I think he is a bit overrated on here because he truly did bring life to the offense. He was good....comparitively. To me it was obvious he wasn't ready. He was very inaccurate.

Still the best QB on the roster by a good margin. If Randy was planning on leaving, he would have played him. It's clear he was going to be the guy next year.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Typically, most kids going into the portal move down, not up.

For playing time, sure. But also to escape a moribund program. We've had potential starters drop down to FCS. I really want Ross to stay and there are a few others who have looked to have improved. Even the guys Randy had waiting that have filled in for injuries look like prospects. Reshuffle too much and we are looking at another 10 loss season. I think our talent is better, our ability to understand and execute (and stay on the field) is lacking.

Reaction Score
The kid is a true freshman, so people are expecting him to be perfect are always going to be disappointed. The thing, for me, is the difference in energy level on the team when he’s playing. It seems like the guys really like him and his enthusiasm is contagious. That is special.
He is Casey like playing behind a porous line. Exceptional talent thrown to the lions. I do not like to criticize players or most posters but while the game has changed it is still won with what gets done in the trenches. Our trenches need to improve to be kind.
Nice write up, but I totally disagree with you about Tyler Phommachanh. The team looked more competent with him in just 10 quarters than they have in years. I think he will be a killer by year three.
Agree with a competent line out front.
Losing guys from this years recruiting class will hurt just as much. This hire is super important for a lot of reasons.
Agree, the portal may look exciting to some but I hope there is a bond with a lot of under classmen as well. Some of us can no longer wait another 4 / 5 years to become relevant.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
That's not the point. Whomever leaves gets replaced by a true freshman...in 2023 or the guys on the bench. Some of these guys will get better. This isn't fantasy football where you can plug and play guys. Them playing together adds value.

Ehh. Sure, player development is great but every player on next year's team is year 1 with a new staff.
The amount of bonding between existing players vice bringing on a large amount of transfers to learn and gel on a new system is marginal. Especially since the existing players haven't shown they can compete for 60 minutes against any FBS opponent.
Agree this year's recruiting class was setting to the best over past decade. Would like to keep intact but it's not insurmountable to lose some but gain equally good players who decide to commit based on new hire.
This program and the the team on the field next two years won't get close to .500 if they try to build primarily from within.

Reaction Score

That’s my view too. And unless you are running the option, running quarterbacks have their limitations. They might be exciting, even win a game along the way that yo don’t expect but in the long run you need to be able to throw the football.

Reaction Score
That’s my view too. And unless you are running the option, running quarterbacks have their limitations. They might be exciting, even win a game along the way that yo don’t expect but in the long run you need to be able to throw the football.
Chris Calhoun is still committed. Maybe he becomes that guy.

Reaction Score
Jones will be back he’s not close to ready for NFL and there are so many D lineman in P5 better than him at this point.

PFF currently ranks Jones as the 44th best prospect regardless of position. He would be foolish not to leave - football is an unforgiving sport.
NFL scouts love him. He'll get invites to post season all star Bowls. East West Shrine is a definite but he should also expect a Senior Bowl invite as well.

Reaction Score
I don’t see it happening… Jones is currently tracking to be a Top 100 pick. Nothing to be gained by coming back for another year w/ all the unknowns.
PFF currently ranks Jones as the 44th best prospect regardless of position. He would be foolish not to leave - football is an unforgiving sport.

Ultimately I think it's in UConn's best interest longer term that assuming he is a high pick that he goes and gets it. This becomes a big recruiting tool in the portal.

1.) For UConn's own players... you don't have to leave what you know. You know you've got the playing time and if you show out here you can still get to the league. If you end up with less playing time elsewhere, well who knows.

2.) For potential imports... we've got playing time for you. Even if the team as a whole isn't as successful as we all would like, we can help you achieve your goals.

Reaction Score
Which QB currently on the squad consistently throws a better ball than him? The guy with the best arm can't hit a barn 5 times in row. Steven Krajewski....no. You get no worse an arm from a guy much better with his legs. College football belongs to mobile Quarterbacks.

Reaction Score
Which QB currently on the squad consistently throws a better ball than him? The guy with the best arm can't hit a barn 5 times in row. Steven Krajewski....no. You get no worse an arm from a guy much better with his legs. College football belongs to mobile Quarterbacks.
Are you serious? I’ll give you UMass but look at the UCF game and the passes he made against Vanderbilt and Yale. As far as Purdue goes it’s amazing he could even make a throw with all the pressure and hits he took. For you to say “he can’t hit a barn 5 times in a row” has to be a pretty small barn. Oh, and don’t forget we are missing our top two receivers and Steven Krajewski has only worked a few weeks with the new guys (who are very good) but it takes time for them to develop a chemistry amongst them.

Reaction Score
Krajewski will develop into a solid throwing QB. When the offense has some creativity to it, he also shows some decent wheels. There is no reason to bash him. Our offensive play calling and overall game planning are abysmal. Stop blaming the players for something so obviously related to inept offensive coaching.

Reaction Score
I don’t see it happening… Jones is currently tracking to be a Top 100 pick. Nothing to be gained by coming back for another year w/ all the unknowns.
It’s hard to know because he’s almost always doubled teamed. Even for a big guy, would like to see a little more explosion coming out of his stance. Chief likes his thickness.

Reaction Score
Having missed the last two games totally, and having gone to Holy Cross but without time to prepare a tailgate, it was good to get the grill out, be in the parking lot drinking by 10:30, and then getting to watch a competitive — if frustrating — football game. Some quick thoughts:

1. Congratulations to the young men who won a football game for the first time in what, 721 days? Nothing I say below in any way interferes with that. The players clearly were very excited and if you’ve lost for so long, no matter who you beat, you felt something you hadn’t felt in a long time. Losing sucks. Winning, in any manner, is not losing.

2. That having been said, Yale wasn’t able to remain competitive with us by the mid 80s, at the Yale Bowl. Here we are, 30 years later, and playing at home the game had to go down to the last play. Taking a long term view, that’s how far we’ve fallen from the Fiesta Bowl in a microcosm.

3. That was two distinct games. We played 35 minutes of solid football, not at all exciting but eliminating mistakes and capitalizing on the other teams mistakes. Not a terrible recipe for a poor football team. And then we sucked. Whether that was on a the coaches being conservative (we did go on a 4th and 1), or the players losing focus, I don’t know. Probably both. But the last 25 minutes were back to wholly unacceptable football. if we play 60 minutes like we played 35 on Friday night, I think we will have a chance to win. If we play like we played the last 25, the game won’t be worth going to.

4. To be fair, we coast to the win, even having turned off, but for the long TD pass they threw. Live, I swear I saw the receiver push Wortham before he fell, and I heard Crispino’s call and he saw it too. However, in the post game show, I heard Bob Joyce say that UConn people next to the play thought Wortham just slipped. Did CBS Sports have a good replay of it? I can’t tell live from across the field with one eye on it that the contact was enough to draw an offensive interference call, or that Wortham wasn’t pushing him as well, but I know I saw Wortham shoved before the ball got there.

5. Each of Wortham’s two interceptions was really special. Congratulations to the young man.

6. Yes, our OL sucks at run blocking, but yesterday Mensah was definitively running harder than Carter was. Hope it was just an off day and not a small injury.

7. Krajewski was serviceable. No more, no less. He made plays and capitalized on the defense’s mistakes and avoided turnovers, but he didn’t have the ability to make anything happen absent defensive breakdowns. I’m hoping he plays Friday more like he played against Vandy than he has the last two weeks and we get one more win this year. But none of Krajewski, Pharmacchan or Zergiotis looks to me like the QB that is going to lead us to a winning season. That will require a QB from the transfer portal.

8. As awful as we have been, and are at our core, it would not have taken a different roster to be 5-3 at the moment, and playing for bowl eligibility, instead of 1-7. Two games just required someone to make one more play, and the losses to Holy Cross and UMass were winnable with more effort, better schemes and better execution. Not saying Edsall didn’t leave us in an awful position, and that we don’t have a huge task pulling ourselves up, but it wouldn’t have taken a whole lot more this year to actually be fighting for bowl eligibility Friday night.

Have a good short week all. That’s as much analysis as this team deserves.
Excellent analysis over-all.

It’s hard to decipher the QB play from the play calling or from the OL, which is famous for allowing jailbreaks. At all positions, we don’t finish off our blocks. True, sometines just getting in the way works but more often we need some road graders. Despite some mental errors, there is something Chief likes about Tyler but at his size, durability risk is a downside trade-off to his strong competitiveness.

Chief thinks one thing is clear, an upgrade to the staff is almost as important as a head coach. That is one of the clear differences between Randy 1.0 and Randy 2.0. We need to see more guys develop into improved players at their position year to year. Assistant coaches are keys to that happening.

Agree on Wortham’s interceptions, until the first one Chief thought the best show of athleticism was the cheerleaders doing running cartwheels across the field. That last line stings alittle as did yours.

Reaction Score
NFL scouts love him. He'll get invites to post season all star Bowls. East West Shrine is a definite but he should also expect a Senior Bowl invite as well.
Hey babe, what about SENIOR Bowl makes you think he'll get an invite? Just teasing. The combine will be huge for the big fella.

Reaction Score
Are you serious? I’ll give you UMass but look at the UCF game and the passes he made against Vanderbilt and Yale. As far as Purdue goes it’s amazing he could even make a throw with all the pressure and hits he took. For you to say “he can’t hit a barn 5 times in a row” has to be a pretty small barn. Oh, and don’t forget we are missing our top two receivers and Steven Krajewski has only worked a few weeks with the new guys (who are very good) but it takes time for them to develop a chemistry amongst them.
Best arm = Jack Zergiotis, who can't hit a barn 5 times in a row. I wasn't talking about Steven Krajewski, who clearly doesn't have the best arm. His gift is poise.

Reaction Score
Best arm = Jack Zergiotis, who can't hit a barn 5 times in a row. I wasn't talking about Steven Krajewski, who clearly doesn't have the best arm. His gift is poise.
My bad. You were quoting Edsall. I just wish our QB’s had more time to throw and quit the bubble passes. Maybe they could be more efficient

Reaction Score
Jones will be back he’s not close to ready for NFL and there are so many D lineman in P5 better than him at this point. His biggest attribute is his size. He needs to play at a high level on every play.
it was definitely the D line’s best game this year but again it was
against Yale!
Don’t think he’s coming back next year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69