The View From Section 241 -- UCF | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 -- UCF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That was a tough loss. Really empty stadium, notwithstanding the announced attendance. We saw three bus loads of students heading back to campus before kickoff. (Yes, I know you are young and might have taken the bus out without noticing it was cold and raining but come on guys.). A tailgate that got very, very wet, even under the old canopy that I bought at Sports Authority before the Syracuse game in '05 and is so hard to assemble that I simply wait for my brother and law to show up. (Yes, there is a reason why Jewish lawyers should marry goyim and it's useful brothers in laws). And then a really, really tough loss because it was a game we needed and a game that, coming into the season, looked like a sure win. But, having said all that, I seem to have a different view of it to a large extent than others. I thought we played well overall (red zone finishing being the exception that cost us the game), and it just wasn't our day. Let me explain.

Today's game came down to 4 plays in my view -- 3 calls and 1 gust of wind. All four went against us, and that was the difference between winning and losing. Let's take them in order. Up 3-0 early, we have a 3rd and long from the red zone. Ron Jon takes a handoff, moving left laterally, and all of us curse because the play is going nowhere. Then he stops and throws lefty (who knew) to an open Brian Lemelle in the endzone. The defender, who never found the ball, came in low and early and took Lemelle out before he could make a play on the ball. It seemed like one of the more obvious pass interference calls of the season. For reasons I couldn't fathom, no flag. Instead of, presumably, going to 10-0, we settle for 6-0. And I haven't seen anyone give credit for the play call, as if the coaches should know they wouldn't draw a flag. Second play, up 16-7 late in the 1st half, we stop them on a (I forget) 3rd or 4th and long, giving us a 9 point lead into the locker room, different game. But Diggs gets called for roughing a passer who was way out of the pocket, and John Robinson IV is then burned deep. I have no clue if it was or wasn't deserving of a penalty as I still haven't seen the hit (someone who wasn't there feel free to weigh in). Seven point swing. Third play was on their TD drive to start the 3rd Q and give them the lead they never relinquished. Third and long, we chase the QB out of the pocket and he looks to chuck one 10 yards out of bounds on the left sideline. Joseph, covering the receiver, gives up on the play. The wind knocks the ball down, it floats to the receiver on the sideline, and with Joseph having stopped running he gets the 1st down. 7 point swing. Finally, our penultimate drive. 4th and 4 in the red zone. BS runs right, lunges, looks like he got inches short of the 15 yard line, which would have been a first down. Instead, he's marked about a foot and a half back, just short. We see a replay. Again, it seems to confirm he had the first down. No reversal. We lose. So to me, we played good D for about 40 minutes on each end of their three consecutive TD drives, we played good offense throughout, just not finishing, everything goes against us and we lose. Sometimes, life just sucks. But I think we played more than well enough to win. Also, sometimes you have to give your opponent credit. Running a high risk offense with a freshman QB from Hawaii and a roster of Floridians on a wet, cold, blustery New England day, they didn't turn it over once. Credit to them.

Specials won the return game, but Bobby P missed a FG that cost us dearly (althought to be fair he was going to miss a makeable attempt eventually), Wain had his worst game and we failed to move quickly enough on the fake FG in the first half that would have worked if we were a little quicker and had avoided the penalty.

Fairfield County Fan discussed this earlier today, but on D we needed more speed. During the stretch when they scored on 3 straight drives, we could chase their QB out of the pocket but we couldn't contain him in the pocket and keep him from having forever to throw. As I've been saying during the offseason, we are too slow. Ormsby was playing hard, but just couldn't contain or keep up. I would have moved him into the DT rotation, played Stapleton and Luke at the ends, played only my two fastest LBs (Diggs and Levenberry) and played a 5th DB. Take them out of their game and make them run up the gut. Meyers is a friggin wall, but it doesn't matter in a game when you have to get the ball out of the hands of a fast, scrambling QB. Other than that, there were times when I thought what would happen if you took away the cushions, but we also got beat long too often so who knows. In fairness to the staff, you would have thought that a tipped ball, a wind blown ball, a receiver trying to make a move with a wet ball, would cause turnovers yesterday. They didn't. Oh -- and while Obi has been great the last few games, and was good yesterday, there was old Obi agains, whiffing on an interception attempt and turning a 15 yard pass over the middle into a long gain.

On offense, I think folks are so disappointed by the loss that they are missing the obvious, which is that is probably the best game our OL played in years. With both pass protection and run blocking. We moved up and down the field very smartly the vast bulk of the game. But we couldn't finish. Newsome and Thomas were both great, and I thought BS played well. With better protection, you could see him make more reads. But other than Thomas, I don't see our receivers running free all over the field. We miss Mayala more than I thought we would, and I don't think Bloom was himself after he took a shot.

So that's where I am. An awful loss, that will be hard to overcome, but I view it more as one of those things than something that tells me terrible stuff about HCBD, BS or our program. I saw as much good as bad, and just saw us as unable to overcome a number of bad breaks. So barring a collapse or a major improvement, I'm not wasting time talking about the program over the long term the next few weeks. I will root for this team every week, and see if we can't still at least match last year's record. And beat BC.

You will now return to your regularly scheduled program (during which you can continue to take your frustration out on everyone involved).

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I noted the HB option at the time and hated it. There are do many more high percentage plays to run there as opposed to letting Johnson attempt his first career pass when we have yet to score a TD in the first quarter this season.

It's this exact lack of confidence and not letting the players play that is turning me off on Diaco.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The first PI (there were two of them) was probably the biggest blown non-call I've seen all year. 1. Their guy was faceguarding from the goal line to the end line; 2. he never made any attempt whatsoever to turn his head and find the ball; and 3. he went through Lemelle before the ball arrived (well before). I was absolutely beside myself that there was no flag given the seemingly always liberal hankies on PIs we've seen all year. That non-call cost us 4 points.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm glad BizLaw looked at this game through a more positive lens than I did. It reminded me of the fact that even though I feel we've blown 3 games we should have had, if we were to finish 7-5 with a win @ BC, I would consider this a successful season.

Only one thing left to do. Win out. And we can do it...

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
To me, this is huge..

We saw three bus loads of students heading back to campus before kickoff. (Yes, I know you are young and might have taken the bus out without noticing it was cold and raining but come on guys.)

This in a nutshell is why I feel UCONN football is still a long way from re-birth. No spirit from within the student body.

Reaction Score
That was a tough loss. Really empty stadium, notwithstanding the announced attendance. We saw three bus loads of students heading back to campus before kickoff. (Yes, I know you are young and might have taken the bus out without noticing it was cold and raining but come on guys.). A tailgate that got very, very wet, even under the old canopy that I bought at Sports Authority before the Syracuse game in '05 and is so hard to assemble that I simply wait for my brother and law to show up. (Yes, there is a reason why Jewish lawyers should marry goyim and it's useful brothers in laws). And then a really, really tough loss because it was a game we needed and a game that, coming into the season, looked like a sure win. But, having said all that, I seem to have a different view of it to a large extent than others. I thought we played well overall (red zone finishing being the exception that cost us the game), and it just wasn't our day. Let me explain.

Today's game came down to 4 plays in my view -- 3 calls and 1 gust of wind. All four went against us, and that was the difference between winning and losing. Let's take them in order. Up 3-0 early, we have a 3rd and long from the red zone. Ron Jon takes a handoff, moving left laterally, and all of us curse because the play is going nowhere. Then he stops and throws lefty (who knew) to an open Brian Lemelle in the endzone. The defender, who never found the ball, came in low and early and took Lemelle out before he could make a play on the ball. It seemed like one of the more obvious pass interference calls of the season. For reasons I couldn't fathom, no flag. Instead of, presumably, going to 10-0, we settle for 6-0. And I haven't seen anyone give credit for the play call, as if the coaches should know they wouldn't draw a flag. Second play, up 16-7 late in the 1st half, we stop them on a (I forget) 3rd or 4th and long, giving us a 9 point lead into the locker room, different game. But Diggs gets called for roughing a passer who was way out of the pocket, and John Robinson IV is then burned deep. I have no clue if it was or wasn't deserving of a penalty as I still haven't seen the hit (someone who wasn't there feel free to weigh in). Seven point swing. Third play was on their TD drive to start the 3rd Q and give them the lead they never relinquished. Third and long, we chase the QB out of the pocket and he looks to chuck one 10 yards out of bounds on the left sideline. Joseph, covering the receiver, gives up on the play. The wind knocks the ball down, it floats to the receiver on the sideline, and with Joseph having stopped running he gets the 1st down. 7 point swing. Finally, our penultimate drive. 4th and 4 in the red zone. BS runs right, lunges, looks like he got inches short of the 15 yard line, which would have been a first down. Instead, he's marked about a foot and a half back, just short. We see a replay. Again, it seems to confirm he had the first down. No reversal. We lose. So to me, we played good D for about 40 minutes on each end of their three consecutive TD drives, we played good offense throughout, just not finishing, everything goes against us and we lose. Sometimes, life just sucks. But I think we played more than well enough to win. Also, sometimes you have to give your opponent credit. Running a high risk offense with a freshman QB from Hawaii and a roster of Floridians on a wet, cold, blustery New England day, they didn't turn it over once. Credit to them.

Specials won the return game, but Bobby P missed a FG that cost us dearly (althought to be fair he was going to miss a makeable attempt eventually), Wain had his worst game and we failed to move quickly enough on the fake FG in the first half that would have worked if we were a little quicker and had avoided the penalty.

Fairfield County Fan discussed this earlier today, but on D we needed more speed. During the stretch when they scored on 3 straight drives, we could chase their QB out of the pocket but we couldn't contain him in the pocket and keep him from having forever to throw. As I've been saying during the offseason, we are too slow. Ormsby was playing hard, but just couldn't contain or keep up. I would have moved him into the DT rotation, played Stapleton and Luke at the ends, played only my two fastest LBs (Diggs and Levenberry) and played a 5th DB. Take them out of their game and make them run up the gut. Meyers is a friggin wall, but it doesn't matter in a game when you have to get the ball out of the hands of a fast, scrambling QB. Other than that, there were times when I thought what would happen if you took away the cushions, but we also got beat long too often so who knows. In fairness to the staff, you would have thought that a tipped ball, a wind blown ball, a receiver trying to make a move with a wet ball, would cause turnovers yesterday. They didn't. Oh -- and while Obi has been great the last few games, and was good yesterday, there was old Obi agains, whiffing on an interception attempt and turning a 15 yard pass over the middle into a long gain.

On offense, I think folks are so disappointed by the loss that they are missing the obvious, which is that is probably the best game our OL played in years. With both pass protection and run blocking. We moved up and down the field very smartly the vast bulk of the game. But we couldn't finish. Newsome and Thomas were both great, and I thought BS played well. With better protection, you could see him make more reads. But other than Thomas, I don't see our receivers running free all over the field. We miss Mayala more than I thought we would, and I don't think Bloom was himself after he took a shot.

So that's where I am. An awful loss, that will be hard to overcome, but I view it more as one of those things than something that tells me terrible stuff about HCBD, BS or our program. I saw as much good as bad, and just saw us as unable to overcome a number of bad breaks. So barring a collapse or a major improvement, I'm not wasting time talking about the program over the long term the next few weeks. I will root for this team every week, and see if we can't still at least match last year's record. And beat BC.

You will now return to your regularly scheduled program (during which you can continue to take your frustration out on everyone involved).

Great analysis. A pleasant antidote to the bitter , defeatist analyses to prevalent on the Boneyard. I think we showed great improvement in this game. Sheriffs didn't panic in the pocket nearly as much as in previous games. When he did run , it usually was for good reason. Play calling was much more balanced.
Agree re missed calls impacting the game.
Also disappointed in the student section. You didn't mention that there were less than 100 students left in the fourth quarter. After the first 10 minutes of the game, the weather really wasn't that bad. They must have have homecoming parties planned on campus.
Maybe its just me, but the lack of containment on the pass rush is compounded by our defensive backs having no idea where the ball is on long passes.I purposely looked at several games on TV last night and I don't see any other team where the defensive basks consistently do not look back for the ball.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I was disappointed in the students yesterday too. I think they've done pretty well this year up until yesterday and they were hardly the only group of folks who left early. But something is definitely lost when the student sections aren't full and loud. They are the heartbeat of any college venue and their enthusiasm was sorely missed in 2H.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I said during the game thread that the non PI call on Lemelle in the end zone was ridiculous. Guy had his face mask in Lemelle's chest.

It's really frustrating watching this team week in and week out because I feel like they actually do have some talent on the roster. Diaco obviously does things that drive you absolutely insane but I get the sense that during the week he's a pretty good teacher and the fact that the teams always plays hard is another positive.

3-5 is a tough spot to be in because we have no room for error and making a bowl in my opinion is absolutely critical in at least maintaining some type of momentum for the program.

I really thought 6 or 7 wins was very feasible going into this season and that is still reachable, albeit a lot more difficult.

Reaction Score
To me, this is huge..

We saw three bus loads of students heading back to campus before kickoff. (Yes, I know you are young and might have taken the bus out without noticing it was cold and raining but come on guys.)

This in a nutshell is why I feel UCONN football is still a long way from re-birth. No spirit from within the student body.

I would have to believe if we were playing Michigan or even Houston no one would have gone anywhere until at least half time :)

PWS

Reaction Score

Great job as always. I think it was Cam Stapleton on the late hit on a pass that may have been picked off as it was close as to whether Obi had a foot in bounds. Cam did not hit him hard, but he did hit him out of bounds and the Freshman QB Did a good acting job. Close, but a good call & inexcusable.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The roughing the passer call was spot on correct, and Sherriffs' lunge for the first down was clearly short, albeit very slightly.

And let's not blame Puyol for the missed chip shot FG, not that it would have made any difference in the final score. That was all due to the ridiculous chinese fire drill BS that the coaching staff seems to have fallen in love with on every red zone scoring play and every time we're going to telegraph the QB sneak play on 3rd and 1. If I ever see that in another game I'll be lucky to have a functioning TV set afterward. That is the stupidest play calling nonsense I've ever seen at any level of organized football.

Reaction Score
To me, this is huge..

Sad but not surprising. This is one of the many reasons i laugh at folks who bemoan our lack of an on campus stadium. College kids no not show up for most game. You can place the stadium in the middle of every dorm on campus, and most still won't show Students show when:
1l) Their team is a nationl power (and even they struggle)
2) intense rivalry games
3) Night games (most of the time)

Call any school outside the SEC and they will complain of low student turnout.

Reaction Score
I was disappointed in the students yesterday too. I think they've done pretty well this year up until yesterday and they were hardly the only group of folks who left early. But something is definitely lost when the student sections aren't full and loud. They are the heartbeat of any college venue and their enthusiasm was sorely missed in 2H.

It's always going to be hard to fill the student section for 12:00 starts. I'm only a few years removed from being a student and very, very few people want to go to these games, especially not when you have to get up at 9 and leave at 10. The student section is usually much more full for night games and 3:30 starts. If every game were a night game or late afternoon start you'd get a lot more students there.

It's a sad fact that I didn't want to bring up during CR talk but most UConn students don't care about UConn football at all. About 50 of my friends went to homecoming to tailgate and not a single person actually went to the game. Most of them said short of paying them $100 to go, they won't ever be at a UConn football game.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
I said during the game thread that the non PI call on Lemelle in the end zone was ridiculous. Guy had his face mask in Lemelle's chest.

It's really frustrating watching this team week in and week out because I feel like they actually do have some talent on the roster. Diaco obviously does things that drive you absolutely insane but I get the sense that during the week he's a pretty good teacher and the fact that the teams always plays hard is another positive.

3-5 is a tough spot to be in because we have no room for error and making a bowl in my opinion is absolutely critical in at least maintaining some type of momentum for the program.

I really thought 6 or 7 wins was very feasible going into this season and that is still reachable, albeit a lot more difficult.

That was certainly a blown zebra non-call, but when you get in the red zone six times and come away with one TD you really can't say that one play cost us this game. The opportunities were all there, but another combination of bad play calling and poor red zone execution is what doomed us, not one blown zebra call. Against bad teams you need to put them away early. Don't let them hang around until one bad call or play can dictate the outcome.

We have to figure out how to call the right plays and execute in the red zone. It ought to be an advantage because we don't have that far to throw the ball.

Reaction Score
...And let's not blame Puyol for the missed chip shot FG, not that it would have made any difference in the final score. That was all due to the ridiculous chinese fire drill BS that the coaching staff seems to have fallen in love with on every red zone scoring play and every time we're going to telegraph the QB sneak play on 3rd and 1.

You lost me there w/ the missed chip shot and Chinese fire drill comment correlation? Here is the Q3 drive that resulted in the missed FG.

C 1-10 C40 UCONN drive start at 05:30.
C 1-10 C40 SHIRREFFS, Bry. pass complete to THOMAS, Noel for 19 yards to the UCF41,
1ST DOWN UCONN, out-of-bounds (KILLINGS, D.J.).
C 1-10 F41 SHIRREFFS, Bry. pass complete to THOMAS, Noel for 23 yards to the UCF18,
1ST DOWN UCONN (GRIFFIN, Shqll).
C 1-10 F18 SHIRREFFS, Bry. rush for 3 yards to the UCF15 (CONNORS, Joey;GRIFFIN,Shqm).
C 2-7 F15 Newsome, Arkeel rush for 1 yard to the UCF14 (CLARKE, Errol;GUERAD, Tony).
C 3-6 F14 SHIRREFFS, Bry. pass incomplete to THOMAS, Noel.
C 4-6 F14 Puyol, Bobby field goal attempt from 31 MISSED - hit right upright, spot at UCF20, clock 03:14.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
You lost me there w/ the missed chip shot and Chinese fire drill comment correlation? Here is the Q3 drive that resulted in the missed FG.

C 1-10 C40 UCONN drive start at 05:30.
C 1-10 C40 SHIRREFFS, Bry. pass complete to THOMAS, Noel for 19 yards to the UCF41,
1ST DOWN UCONN, out-of-bounds (KILLINGS, D.J.).
C 1-10 F41 SHIRREFFS, Bry. pass complete to THOMAS, Noel for 23 yards to the UCF18,
1ST DOWN UCONN (GRIFFIN, Shqll).
C 1-10 F18 SHIRREFFS, Bry. rush for 3 yards to the UCF15 (CONNORS, Joey;GRIFFIN,Shqm).
C 2-7 F15 Newsome, Arkeel rush for 1 yard to the UCF14 (CLARKE, Errol;GUERAD, Tony).
C 3-6 F14 SHIRREFFS, Bry. pass incomplete to THOMAS, Noel.
C 4-6 F14 Puyol, Bobby field goal attempt from 31 MISSED - hit right upright, spot at UCF20, clock 03:14.

IIRC, we ran around like chickens with severed heads prior to the FG attempt, which has been described as faking a fake FG, after we'd already tried the fake FG earlier. Every time we pulled that hurry up BS we practically announced to UCF at the LOS what our next play call was, because they'd already seen us do the exact same thing on earlier plays, which became more numerous as the game dragged on.

Reaction Score
IIRC, we ran around like chickens with severed heads prior to the FG attempt, which has been described as faking a fake FG, after we'd already tried the fake FG earlier. Every time we pulled that hurry up BS we practically announced to UCF at the LOS what our next play call was, because they'd already seen us do the exact same thing on earlier plays, which became more numerous as the game dragged on.

I figured we *had* to be setting up something else. If they had just tossed the ball to Newsome it was a TD. I hope they saw that on tape and will add a wrinkle.

Reaction Score
I hesitate to comment on the game because my lovely spouse and I left at the half for reasons unrelated to the game. I was cautiously optimistic when we left but I also had that ominous feeling that UConn left all those points on the table and that kind of thing will ALWAYS come back to bite the Huskies faithful.

Agree with Bizlaw that they moved smartly down the field on offense in the first half. But as soon as the Huskies got into the red, the play calling changed back to that of the Maine game. Can't put my finger on it, but it seems that the offense is entirely dependent on the play calling rather than execution by the players.

On D, the secondary plays way too soft. If that is due to their lack of speed, then UConn ought to blitz more. Less time for the QB to throw means the receivers' speed advantage is somewhat neutralized and the D can play tighter as well.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
I hesitate to comment on the game because my lovely spouse and I left at the half for reasons unrelated to the game. I was cautiously optimistic when we left but I also had that ominous feeling that UConn left all those points on the table and that kind of thing will ALWAYS come back to bite the Huskies faithful.

Agree with Bizlaw that they moved smartly down the field on offense in the first half. But as soon as the Huskies got into the red, the play calling changed back to that of the Maine game. Can't put my finger on it, but it seems that the offense is entirely dependent on the play calling rather than execution by the players.

On D, the secondary plays way too soft. If that is due to their lack of speed, then UConn ought to blitz more. Less time for the QB to throw means the receivers' speed advantage is somewhat neutralized and the D can play tighter as well.

On many of their pass attempts, particularly in the 2H, it seemed like their QB had up to 10 seconds to run around in the backfield looking for open receivers. I surmised that either he sucks, or our secondary was covering everybody very effectively. I figure maybe it was more the former than the latter, but our weak, non- blitzing pass rush almost never got to him. You give any QB, even a bad one, the kind of time he had back there to peruse the field, and eventually they will find open receivers. That's what happened.

Reaction Score
Biggest problem with the staff is they seem to blow far too many of the 50-50 games. We won the UVA toss up game because they ran their own version of the chinese fire drill running their FG team on the field. We lost the SU, and Navy games. The Maine game had no business being that close but who is that on? If your philosophy is that you want close games decided in the fourth quarter, you need to out coach the opposition in those situations once in a while. I'm not seeing it.

BS deserves our respect. The kid is a gamer and has taken a beaten. Is he limited? Yes, yesterday seemed like the first time he moved around within the pocket without taking off for a short gain, so there was some growth.

This teams needs a what the heck type win. I continue to root for this team, this program, and this school, but we seem to be losing fan support at warp speed. It simply feels time is of the essence and the growth under Diaco hasn't come quickly enough. UCF seemed to have true freshmen all over the field and Frost has an 0-12, team on par with Diaco in year 3.

I have no answers. I felt the dream died in the game against Syracuse this year, the crowds since then have been dwindling. We are in a tough spot, I know progress isn't always an increase in wins year to year, but we lose 2 NFL players this year one on offense one on defense. We need to get faster on D but Diaco recruits big prototypes. I want some break from that... go get a Larry Taylor, Terry Cauley, or Nick Williams on offense. Go get a Trevardo Williams, or Cody Brown on defense. We need some game breakers. Not big lumbering guys all over the field.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I thought Puyol missed the FG because he was thrown off by the guy who came clear from his left side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom