The View From Section 241 -- Syracuse | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 -- Syracuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sickening feeling in my stomache this morning. I hate losing to Syracuse at home. Hate it, hate it, hate it. For all that went wrong yesterday, I never thought we were losing that game until they completed the third in long from their own 5. So we lost the turnover battle, again. Now a net negative 3 after 4 games, with our offense having allowed a remarkable 3 TDs in 4 games. We got the start time wrong, again, and didn't start playing until we had dug a hole. We failed to score in short yardage, again. More on that later. But the thing that ruined another beautiful fall football day, with probably our largest and most enthusiastic crowd of the year, comes down to one thing. And we will start there.

We fought back to tie the game at 14 and then gave them the ball at their own 27 with 38 seconds left. And then we continued to play our standard 3-4-4 while they got themselves into long FG range and converted. Why? They had already thrown for a boatyard of yards against us. Why did we need 4 LBs in to defend the run that wasn't going to come unless Syracuse was happy going to the locker room tied. What possible reason was there to not be in a nickel or dime package with Green and/or McAllister joining the secondary. But as mad as that made me, it let to a bigger question. Jamar Summer has been a huge part of our restoration to adequacy the last season and a half, and he is clearly one of our best players. But he was beaten into a pulp by #7 yesterday. #7 gained 280 friggin yards, almost all of it with Jamar on him without any real help unless #7 broken to the middle. And he wasn't fast, strong or agile enough to handle it. He got beat deep. He got bodied off the ball. He lost his footing. He thought he had help when he didn't. He got beat every way imaginable. So be it. At the same time, they never established a threat on the ground. Never. And yet, did we ever go into a nickel or dime package at any time? I don't remember seeing either Green or McAllister playing a single down from scrimmage. At no point did we ever put in more DBs, and give Summers help by having Green playing to the inside instead of Luke. At no point did we ever put in a 3rd Safety where the Safety's only responsibility was to provide Jamar deep help and let two other Safeties worry about everything else. AT NO TIME THAT I SAW DID OUR DEFENSIVE BOY GENUIS EVER DO ANYTHING TO TAKE AWAY AT WHATEVER THE COST THE ONE AND ONLY WEAPON THEY WERE HURTING US WITH. Instead, his strategy seemed to be to tell Jamar to #coverharder. That was what cost us the game. While I didn't like the call on 4th and goal from the 1 when we didn't tie the game, and you could argue about the 3rd and 2 call, the first two calls were fine given that we had already rushed for two TDs and the two carries got us from the 8 to the 2. There was a lot good to say about the offensive coaching, yesterday, and I will below. But for all the repetitive issues mentioned at the start, it was Diaco's failure to go to a nickel or dime package, and double team #7 deep, that cost us the game. Period. And while the failure to make defensive adjustments has not been a recurring problem, the lawyer like stubbornness is. And is likely to be the ultimate cause of his downfall. No, it won't be this year, and I doubt it will be next year. But every week, the evidence against him ever being a good in game coach builds and builds.

As we go through offense, defense and specials, there is an awful lot good to say. Let's start with specials. When the 'Cuse kicker issued the 33 yarder to put them up 10 before we had our last chance to tie it, that made opponent FG kickers a remarkable 2 for 8 against us on the year. How do you coach that. While Bobby Puyol remains perfect on placement and close to that on kickoffs. Brian Lemelle actually returned a punt (successfully no less) and aggressively got to a short punt to fair catch that has been bouncing all year. And then a Fake FG that the Syracuse staff should be shot for not noticing and calling a TO on. First, did no one ask why Puyol and Davis sprinted on so quickly after the 3rd down stop left us with a decision, and from how far from the line of scrimmage? Did they not notice Tyler Davis standing alone by the left sideline? And when their outside defender finally saw him a second too late and started sprinting over, did they need then yell for a TO? Nonetheless, a very good day for us on special teams.

On defense, a very, very hard game to discuss, because between the first two drives and the last one we played really, really well, but other than that Mrs. Lincoln how did you like the play. I don't think talking about individuals means a lot today. As stated, I don't get how we never went into nickel and dime packages. I also said at the beginning of the year that our lack of a pass rush was going to be problematic. That is not schematic. We just don't have smaller, faster DEs, even when Luke slides up. We need to recruit the smaller for DE large sprinter types that Edsall succeeded with. The other team D comment I'll make is this -- last year, we lived on Takeaways. This year we have 2 in 4 games. It isn't enough. Maybe we've just been unlucky in that other teams aren't making their share of mistakes, our maybe it's us, but if we keep losing the turnover battle week after week we will not get to 6 wins, period. And it's not on our offense. The total number of turnovers is a little high, but that doesn't change the fact that we're not getting the takeaways. O.K., on comment on an individual. I thought it was Levenberry's best game this year by far. And the fact that they looked entirely at Summers side and rarely tested Jhavon Williams says a lot.

So I know that on this board if you are unhappy you get to trash everything, but there was a lot good to say about the offense yesterday. With Arkeel clearly healthier (because they let him get 17 carries), the traditional running game (not counting BS carrying the ball too much) was much better. BS did not have his best day throwing the ball yesterday, but the numbers still tell a story of competence at least. Clearly, however, he comes out of the huddle looking for one receiver, and if that receiver isn't there he is too quick tucking and running. Is this a result of the concussion from last year? Hard to believe given how often he runs (and the hit he took was off a scramble and not trying to throw the ball), Nice to see all of the TEs finally involved. And you have to (well, only if you want to be fair) give some credit to the coaches. The offense was balanced, they passing attack spread the ball around, there were ZERO offensive penalties, and not once did we struggle to get play or personnel on in time. In fact, they decided that our short yardage play was going to be to go no huddle, get to the line before the D was ready and sneak Shirreffs between Crozier and Rutheford at LG. Which gets me to the 4th and 1 call. We had successfully run Shirreffs behind Rutherford successfully all game long. But it was Rutherford who went out hurt after Ron Jon's 3rd down run. Did that change the call? I know we've been shockingly reluctant to throw in the red zone this year, but did bringing a 4th string LG Schafenacker in for his first play make us reluctant to throw from the pocket? Would we have run BS behind Rutherford? WAs BS supposed to make more of an effort of find a receiver than he did? We'll never know. Look -- do we need to throw from inside the red zone -- yes. Of course we do. But I have sympathy for the coaches on that call when you had to change your OL right before that play. If you want to speak to HCBD's in game incompetency, ask why we never saw nickel and dime DBs.

So we lost what was the biggest, most emotional game of the year. You can't have it back. We also now have a much harder road to bowl eligibility. We still should beat UCF and Tulane at home and get to 4. The most realistic next two are at BC and home to Temple. The way Syracuse beat us does not make any of those games less likely. We need to start winning takeover battles, we need to start getting Arkeel to make big plays, and he have to make the offense as diverse in the red zone as it was between the 20s yesterday. This season isn't over. But given the precarious position of the football program, we can't lose the fanbase any more than we can lose games. And HCBD, while doing a lot of good, is getting too close to losing the fanbase.

Reaction Score
Sickening feeling in my stomache this morning. I hate losing to Syracuse at home. Hate it, hate it, hate it. For all that went wrong yesterday, I never thought we were losing that game until they completed the third in long from their own 5. So we lost the turnover battle, again. Now a net negative 3 after 4 games, with our offense having allowed a remarkable 3 TDs in 4 games. We got the start time wrong, again, and didn't start playing until we had dug a hole. We failed to score in short yardage, again. More on that later. But the thing that ruined another beautiful fall football day, with probably our largest and most enthusiastic crowd of the year, comes down to one thing. And we will start there.

We fought back to tie the game at 14 and then gave them the ball at their own 27 with 38 seconds left. And then we continued to play our standard 3-4-4 while they got themselves into long FG range and converted. Why? They had already thrown for a boatyard of yards against us. Why did we need 4 LBs in to defend the run that wasn't going to come unless Syracuse was happy going to the locker room tied. What possible reason was there to not be in a nickel or dime package with Green and/or McAllister joining the secondary. But as mad as that made me, it let to a bigger question. Jamar Summer has been a huge part of our restoration to adequacy the last season and a half, and he is clearly one of our best players. But he was beaten into a pulp by #7 yesterday. #7 gained 280 friggin yards, almost all of it with Jamar on him without any real help unless #7 broken to the middle. And he wasn't fast, strong or agile enough to handle it. He got beat deep. He got bodied off the ball. He lost his footing. He thought he had help when he didn't. He got beat every way imaginable. So be it. At the same time, they never established a threat on the ground. Never. And yet, did we ever go into a nickel or dime package at any time? I don't remember seeing either Green or McAllister playing a single down from scrimmage. At no point did we ever put in more DBs, and give Summers help by having Green playing to the inside instead of Luke. At no point did we ever put in a 3rd Safety where the Safety's only responsibility was to provide Jamar deep help and let two other Safeties worry about everything else. AT NO TIME THAT I SAW DID OUR DEFENSIVE BOY GENUIS EVER DO ANYTHING TO TAKE AWAY AT WHATEVER THE COST THE ONE AND ONLY WEAPON THEY WERE HURTING US WITH. Instead, his strategy seemed to be to tell Jamar to #coverharder. That was what cost us the game. While I didn't like the call on 4th and goal from the 1 when we didn't tie the game, and you could argue about the 3rd and 2 call, the first two calls were fine given that we had already rushed for two TDs and the two carries got us from the 8 to the 2. There was a lot good to say about the offensive coaching, yesterday, and I will below. But for all the repetitive issues mentioned at the start, it was Diaco's failure to go to a nickel or dime package, and double team #7 deep, that cost us the game. Period. And while the failure to make defensive adjustments has not been a recurring problem, the lawyer like stubbornness is. And is likely to be the ultimate cause of his downfall. No, it won't be this year, and I doubt it will be next year. But every week, the evidence against him ever being a good in game coach builds and builds.

As we go through offense, defense and specials, there is an awful lot good to say. Let's start with specials. When the 'Cuse kicker issued the 33 yarder to put them up 10 before we had our last chance to tie it, that made opponent FG kickers a remarkable 2 for 8 against us on the year. How do you coach that. While Bobby Puyol remains perfect on placement and close to that on kickoffs. Brian Lemelle actually returned a punt (successfully no less) and aggressively got to a short punt to fair catch that has been bouncing all year. And then a Fake FG that the Syracuse staff should be shot for not noticing and calling a TO on. First, did no one ask why Puyol and Davis sprinted on so quickly after the 3rd down stop left us with a decision, and from how far from the line of scrimmage? Did they not notice Tyler Davis standing alone by the left sideline? And when their outside defender finally saw him a second too late and started sprinting over, did they need then yell for a TO? Nonetheless, a very good day for us on special teams.

On defense, a very, very hard game to discuss, because between the first two drives and the last one we played really, really well, but other than that Mrs. Lincoln how did you like the play. I don't think talking about individuals means a lot today. As stated, I don't get how we never went into nickel and dime packages. I also said at the beginning of the year that our lack of a pass rush was going to be problematic. That is not schematic. We just don't have smaller, faster DEs, even when Luke slides up. We need to recruit the smaller for DE large sprinter types that Edsall succeeded with. The other team D comment I'll make is this -- last year, we lived on Takeaways. This year we have 2 in 4 games. It isn't enough. Maybe we've just been unlucky in that other teams aren't making their share of mistakes, our maybe it's us, but if we keep losing the turnover battle week after week we will not get to 6 wins, period. And it's not on our offense. The total number of turnovers is a little high, but that doesn't change the fact that we're not getting the takeaways. O.K., on comment on an individual. I thought it was Levenberry's best game this year by far. And the fact that they looked entirely at Summers side and rarely tested Jhavon Williams says a lot.

So I know that on this board if you are unhappy you get to trash everything, but there was a lot good to say about the offense yesterday. With Arkeel clearly healthier (because they let him get 17 carries), the traditional running game (not counting BS carrying the ball too much) was much better. BS did not have his best day throwing the ball yesterday, but the numbers still tell a story of competence at least. Clearly, however, he comes out of the huddle looking for one receiver, and if that receiver isn't there he is too quick tucking and running. Is this a result of the concussion from last year? Hard to believe given how often he runs (and the hit he took was off a scramble and not trying to throw the ball), Nice to see all of the TEs finally involved. And you have to (well, only if you want to be fair) give some credit to the coaches. The offense was balanced, they passing attack spread the ball around, there were ZERO offensive penalties, and not once did we struggle to get play or personnel on in time. In fact, they decided that our short yardage play was going to be to go no huddle, get to the line before the D was ready and sneak Shirreffs between Crozier and Rutheford at LG. Which gets me to the 4th and 1 call. We had successfully run Shirreffs behind Rutherford successfully all game long. But it was Rutherford who went out hurt after Ron Jon's 3rd down run. Did that change the call? I know we've been shockingly reluctant to throw in the red zone this year, but did bringing a 4th string LG Schafenacker in for his first play make us reluctant to throw from the pocket? Would we have run BS behind Rutherford? WAs BS supposed to make more of an effort of find a receiver than he did? We'll never know. Look -- do we need to throw from inside the red zone -- yes. Of course we do. But I have sympathy for the coaches on that call when you had to change your OL right before that play. If you want to speak to HCBD's in game incompetency, ask why we never saw nickel and dime DBs.

So we lost what was the biggest, most emotional game of the year. You can't have it back. We also now have a much harder road to bowl eligibility. We still should beat UCF and Tulane at home and get to 4. The most realistic next two are at BC and home to Temple. The way Syracuse beat us does not make any of those games less likely. We need to start winning takeover battles, we need to start getting Arkeel to make big plays, and he have to make the offense as diverse in the red zone as it was between the 20s yesterday. This season isn't over. But given the precarious position of the football program, we can't lose the fanbase any more than we can lose games. And HCBD, while doing a lot of good, is getting too close to losing the fanbase.
I'd caveat only that I think he has lost a good portion of the fan base already. He can win them back with marked and meaningful improvements. More of the same and he will be irretrievably lost, much like the switch flipped on PP. We've seen this movie already and know how it ends.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Completely agree. If we are coached to play "bend-but-not-break" but we constantly break, then the coaching staff needs to apply some in-game adhesive to bring us back to bendy. It never did. Every single time they threw to #7, he had a step. If the pass was incomplete, it was because of a bad throw by the QB. Nothing Summers did. I'll chalk up yesterday as being one bad game, but boy oh boy, Summers is about to be tested big time on Thursday night by a Houston team that would love nothing more than sticking the dagger deeper.

Almost as frustrating - perhaps more - is our red zone playcalling. How many times do we need to get stuffed inside opponents' 5 yard lines on read-option run plays before Verducci changes it up? Syracuse (and Virginia and Navy and Maine) sold out to stop the run, like most teams do. That guarantees someone will be in our backfield. When you add the additional element of putting our QB in shotgun, thus giving up 3-5 yards of field position (depending how deep in shotgun BS stands) right off the bat, it all but guarantees that with an incapable OL (like the one we have) that the best case scenario is to get back to the LOS. It's hard to read the edge when there are 6-8 defenders in our backfield by time BS catches a shotgun snap. Keep/hand-off: it doesn't matter. Unless the ball handler breaks a tackle (like several tackles), we aren't going to score. We have one of the AAC's best WRs in Thomas plus a collection of WR/TEs who are pseudo basketball sized...how's about a little playaction and using our height advantage?? We've left a lot of points on the field this year just from tightening up inside the red zone.

Losing to Syracuse at home is unacceptable. A loss like this should result in some form of changes being made, similar to Notre Dame's loss to Duke resulted in replacing their DC.

Reaction Score
Agree with the offensive arguments here, and this is one game I wouldn't pin on Verducci and the coaching staff as much as previous ones. Certainly the offensive gameplan on the 1st and goal was terrible, but other than that and a the first series or two, I didn't have as much of an issue. BS was BADLY missing receivers all day long. He airmailed two throws to open receivers, one on the visitor sideline that landed 15 yards out of bounds, and one over the head of a receiver in the end zone that could've been a TD. He is also still struggling with the drop back, look for the open man for 1.5 seconds, give up and run syndrome. Some of those may be designed, but he's doing it far too often for it them all to be. The coaching staff needs to work with him on patience and his mental clock, and understanding when the time is to blow up the play and run. In these respect, I don't mind the OC calling a bit more conservative of an offensive game yesterday from the perspective of not giving BS the ability to air it out downfield. He was better at hitting his receivers in the 15 yards and under range, but the accuracy was spotty at best. It was nice to see some more creativity in the run game with a reverse, some mixing up of Newsome and Johnson in how and in what direction they were used. But ultimately, the predictability of the goal line offense was a killer and on that level Verducci and Diaco are completely responsible and it needs to change.

C

Chief00

Do we have a QB coach?

I agree he badly missed receivers all day long and he locks on one receiver if he looks at any at all.

The lack of defensive adjustments on #7 despite 280 yards by that receiver speaks for itself - our coaching is very inadequate.

We get no advantage from coaching and the players are not physically superior to overcome that disadvantage.

Despite having a losing record last season - Susan gave Diaco a $5 million settlement if he gets fired - how does that happen? The argument is well we went to a bowl where we lost to powerhouse Marshall. I went to all the home games last year and saw nothing to warrant the new contract or going to a bowl. Sadly, the students heavily subsidizes the athletic dept so no matter how it's structure on paper / coming from the UConn Foundation or whatever - indirectly the students will pick up the tab for another poor Susan decision.

Reaction Score
In need of a pass rush we had Luke C covering a slot receiver in the outer quarter of the field and a defensive tackle dominated group lined up at the line of scrimmage. This type of offense is going to be seen quite a bit in the next 3 weeks. Slow heavy players rushing the QB isn't going to cut it. Bringing in another DB and putting faster players at the line would be smart.

Reaction Score
Here's my question. If some overweight has been in his 40's could see that we needed to give Summers help then why the fack couldn't our defensive expert making nearly $2 million per year recognize that? Between that and leaving too much time on the clock before halftime, it's elementary level stuff he is screwing up.

Reaction Score
It's all about bad coaching, bad player lineup selection, bad scheme selection and bad play calling. BS has 45% of team rushes, NT has 50% of team receptions, RJ is averaging 3.4 ypc. The opponent overwhelms UConn at point of attach both when they have the ball and when UConn has the ball, and that is scary (and hard to do, you have to be so readable on offense and clueless as to opponent personnel and abilities on defense). There is a ying to every yang. Other team starts out run blitz, what do you call; other team wants to isolate their one good receiver what do you do; other team has good short passing game what do you do; 4 games in the bank and UConn has yet to start a game with an effective defense or offensive scheme.
When UConn has the ball deep in it's own territory the opponent attacks and puts us at risk for major errors or significant field position loss, opponent has ball deep in its own territory and UConn rushes 3 and drops into deep zone. A football field is 53 yards wide, if you think you can cover all that with 8 guys when the QB has 5 seconds to pass and no need to scramble you are just unable to understand the quality of even an average QB's ability to throw.
Let me hear what you guys think HCBD and his band or renowned will do to open the Houston game and what would be an ok outcome. This could make the LV vs FSU look like a barn burner. Houston put 64 on Texas State (while trying not to score over the last quarter and a half) and before you laugh at them, they beat Massy #101 Ohio at Ohio (and put 56 on them in 3 overtimes) and our best win is over #90 Virginia at home.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I think the common denominator here is that Diaco only trusts a small percentage of this roster and even those to a limited amount. BL is right on that we should have been in more dime sets, especially on that last TD drive and the FG drive to end the half.

Reaction Score
I will make this point my mantra:

Diaco is proving that, even as a young coach, he seems incapable of learning. Growing. That's why we can jump to seeing him gone.

Two points beyond:
1. Every passing team will adapt to our clear tendencies. # 4 Franklin caused the SU interception by tracking Noel Thomas. That's too easy. You're leading solid coaches into how to beat you. On Defense, you made the point on Diaco nickel & dime. Expect EACH of UH, Cincy & USF to pound that point.
2. Sad. I don't think this is now about Talent. We have a full roster. We just have coaches that put us in a box.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
We have gaps in talent which is different than saying we have no talent or less talent than our opponents. We have yet to play a team with more talent. There are just things we can't do consistently because this is a team sport and if the guy next to you blows his assignment, then the entire squad suffers. That includes the coach.

Reaction Score
Here's my question. If some overweight has been in his 40's could see that we needed to give Summers help then why the fack couldn't our defensive expert making nearly $2 million per year recognize that? Between that and leaving too much time on the clock before halftime, it's elementary level stuff he is screwing up.
This is my biggest issue as well. If you're whole shtick is ultra conservative, win at the end, you can't be gawd awful at basic clock management at the end of the halves in every frigging game. Year one I thought it was all about teaching young players, year 2 was all about the build up. Year 3 I expected more of a finished product.

Perhaps year 4 then

Reaction Score
Don't know if this has been posted, but Syracuse's fast pace will keep you in your base package. So unless you started your drive in a nickel or dime package, chances are good you're not sending in specialty packages.

Just a small observation

Reaction Score
I do not recall Summers getting any help. And #7 was listed as a key player before the game. Not like they didn't know about him.

Has anyone gotten out the binoculars and watched individual OL players this year? I was watching Knappe yesterday. God is he ungainly, awkward, and slow.

I guess that I don't know anything about football, because if I were coach I would be looking to trade some of the body mass on the OL for agility and quickness. In fact, I would have them doing agility and quickness drills for 15 minutes every day. Encourage them to do it on their own.

What WAS encouraging, however, was converting all those 4th and short situations with line surge and QB sneaks. Gotta give them that. Looked like they had worked on it. Too bad it didn't work on the goal line.

Reaction Score
For all the reasons enumerated above, is there any reason to believe this staff can coach? How many opportunities can they fritter away? They are not out coached but they continually self destruct. The players have a certain talent set , the coaches should plan a strategy to use the talents at hand. The defense is approaching a level equal to the offense. What a mess.

Reaction Score
Great analysis as always. I appreciate the thought and effort you put into this.
I would only add that, with only a couple of exceptions , our offense is far too predictable. When the fans in my section begin to accurately predict our plays by down, I suspect the opponent can predict them as well. Perhaps we are limited by BS inability to check beyond the primary receiver, but it seems like we force ourselves into a passing situation on almost every third down.

C

Chief00

I will make this point my mantra:

Diaco is proving that, even as a young coach, he seems incapable of learning. Growing. That's why we can jump to seeing him gone.

Two points beyond:
1. Every passing team will adapt to our clear tendencies. # 4 Franklin caused the SU interception by tracking Noel Thomas. That's too easy. You're leading solid coaches into how to beat you. On Defense, you made the point on Diaco nickel & dime. Expect EACH of UH, Cincy & USF to pound that point.
2. Sad. I don't think this is now about Talent. We have a full roster. We just have coaches that put us in a box.

Agree - tough to move up the learning curve when there are no mistakes to learn from in his mind - denial is a tough trait to lose for Diaco.

Reaction Score
That's a very good analysis.

I would never have guessed Cuse could do that to Summers, but it was obvious after the first two series that he could not handle that kid. He was left unsupported way too much.

The turnover/pick-six was the killer and I would never have guessed that Cuse could run their offense without a turnover.

To my eye BS is really struggling making decisions. He is not going to hold up physically running that much and I'm not sure he isn't already really banged up.

We lack explosive plays on offense largely because of personnel. Newsome is as close as we have, but he's not running away from anyone. We desperately need speed for the opportunity to break big plays and to stretch the field.

I've said this a million times, so what's one more. Every Saturday, half the college football fans in the country want to fire their football coach. I don't know if Diaco is the solution, but he's going to be here for a while. I see much of the fire the coach talk as just over the top reaction. It was largely the same thing every time we lost a game with Edsall at the helm.

We will probably get throttled at Houston and will have to regroup in order salvage the season after that.

Reaction Score
So what you're saying is that I have to sit through two more years of this and then hope the AD -- whoever THAT is in two years -- hires someone better?

Yeesh.

Reaction Score
When even the WTIC pre-game knows this (which BTW has devolved into about the worst thing I've ever heard at this level) it's pretty sad.
it is painful to listen to.

Reaction Score
Don't know if this has been posted, but Syracuse's fast pace will keep you in your base package. So unless you started your drive in a nickel or dime package, chances are good you're not sending in specialty packages.

Just a small observation
Really good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member