The View From Section 241 -- Houston | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 -- Houston

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't have a whole lot to say this week, so this will be on the brief side. We played a road game against a legitimate top ten team that is much, much, much better than us in almost any way you can imagine, and wanted revenge, and they beat us easily. No matter how manic this board gets, we did not learn a whole lot either good or bad about us on Thursday night. If we win either of the next two, we are in good shape for a bowl game. If we lose both of the next two, we still have a realistic chance to go to a bowl game. I don't want to fly back from Tampa 2-5, but if we do it won't be because of Thursday night, Cincy or USF. That always looked like a 3 game losing streak. We needed 2 of 3 from Navy, UVA and Syracuse. And for those saying "well, getting to 6-6 is not where we want to be" you are right, it isn't. But HCBD is not going to turn PP's program around by designing brilliant X's and o's. If he turns it around, it's going to be because he recruits better OL and pass rushers than we have. Because for all the whining about BS (and we certainly learned he can't throw long accurately, if you hadn't figured that out last year), this team doesn't have a good enough OL and it doesn't have a discernible pass rush and if you can't dominate turnovers, like we did last year, the ceiling is competence. And that will be our ceiling until we get to see what HCBD's recruits can accomplish as upperclassmen, because we are not likely to be getting the kids of recruits who can not just start but actually turn your program around in their first and second years of play. It took our one NFL QB a full year to be helping us. It took a TB who led the country in rushing a year and two thirds before you could tell he was an impact player.

On offense, defense and specials almost nothing to say about specials. Lemelle is clearly now allowed to return punts when he has room, which can only help us. Coverages remained more than competent. Return games remain well below average, but that isn't likely to turnaround until we have more speed on the roster and an older and more athletic roster generally.

On D, running D remains solid. I liked that we somehow generated a little more pressure on the QB than we've been doing, although it didn't get us far against Ward who could simply run out of it. The failure to be able to defend the pass is obviously our biggest problem right now. Summer has to not lose his confidence -- he's made tons of plays for us and as bad as he's been those are the best two passing attacks we'll face and now we need him back. Watkins really isn't ready to be a starting Safety yet. God knows if he ever will be. Hopefully guys redshirting and learning and being brought in will have more overall defensive team speed than we have. But having said all that, we've now played 5 games and generated only 2 takeaways. This, after a year in which we lived on takeaways. So you can look at it one of two ways. That we just aren't good of generating them, and that fact alone will make this year much tougher than we hoped it would. Or we're just not getting our share of brakes and when it evens out we'll be fine. I'm not optimistic but we'll see.

On O, shout out to Thompson, a former in-state walk-on who got his first carry from scrimmage and looked like he belonged. Love those stories. I think Rutherford played LG, even though it looks like Vachery and Hopkins both saw the field. Thomas really is a superior player with the ball in his hands. Mayala is coming on strong. We were unable to get anything at all out of the running game, however, as they put everyone in the box to defend the run and the short pass, and while we hit some intermediate passes we couldn't hit enough of them, or any long ones, to get it done. Again, Houston is just a superior team, and I don't think we learned much at all. But they'll have to be much better against Cincy if we're going to get something done.

So we got beat bad by a better team. The season moves on. I still think that we are capable of doing more as a hole than we've seen, but we'll see.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
A few comments BL:

A) I believe you meant 'as a whole' not 'as a hole'

B) Rutherford was at LG for quite a bit of the game, possibly all of it.

C) I am now fully convinced that Peart will be an exceptional pass blocking LT. With a bit more bulk and technique he can also become a quality run blocker.

D) For the first time this season I believe the staff can put together a quality offense. We need more parts (OL, QB) but if they can develop them, there may be good days ahead.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If we are listing physical deficiencies, then the lack of impact play from the LB spot which is crucial if you are going to play a 3-4 needs to be mentioned. They all seem better suited to the MLB position in a 4-3.

Reaction Score
Don't know what to say. It's the only balanced post I have read since Thursday evening. I mean, no canning Diaco during the season, recommendations for new coaches. Really Biz, you need to get with the program.

On a more serious note. We left two games on the field in Navy and Syracuse. Coaching was certainly partially to blame in both of those. My hope and expectations for this season was something like 7 wins. So to my way of thinking a bowl invite is still on the table and hopefully this team and the program continue to improve.

I enjoy the games a great deal. This board and the incessant wining is a drag and quickly coming of my list of things to do related to UCONN athletics.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
I don't have a whole lot to say this week, so this will be on the brief side. We played a road game against a legitimate top ten team that is much, much, much better than us in almost any way you can imagine, and wanted revenge, and they beat us easily. No matter how manic this board gets, we did not learn a whole lot either good or bad about us on Thursday night. If we win either of the next two, we are in good shape for a bowl game. If we lose both of the next two, we still have a realistic chance to go to a bowl game. I don't want to fly back from Tampa 2-5, but if we do it won't be because of Thursday night, Cincy or USF. That always looked like a 3 game losing streak. We needed 2 of 3 from Navy, UVA and Syracuse. And for those saying "well, getting to 6-6 is not where we want to be" you are right, it isn't. But HCBD is not going to turn PP's program around by designing brilliant X's and o's. If he turns it around, it's going to be because he recruits better OL and pass rushers than we have. Because for all the whining about BS (and we certainly learned he can't throw long accurately, if you hadn't figured that out last year), this team doesn't have a good enough OL and it doesn't have a discernible pass rush and if you can't dominate turnovers, like we did last year, the ceiling is competence. And that will be our ceiling until we get to see what HCBD's recruits can accomplish as upperclassmen, because we are not likely to be getting the kids of recruits who can not just start but actually turn your program around in their first and second years of play. It took our one NFL QB a full year to be helping us. It took a TB who led the country in rushing a year and two thirds before you could tell he was an impact player.

On offense, defense and specials almost nothing to say about specials. Lemelle is clearly now allowed to return punts when he has room, which can only help us. Coverages remained more than competent. Return games remain well below average, but that isn't likely to turnaround until we have more speed on the roster and an older and more athletic roster generally.

On D, running D remains solid. I liked that we somehow generated a little more pressure on the QB than we've been doing, although it didn't get us far against Ward who could simply run out of it. The failure to be able to defend the pass is obviously our biggest problem right now. Summer has to not lose his confidence -- he's made tons of plays for us and as bad as he's been those are the best two passing attacks we'll face and now we need him back. Watkins really isn't ready to be a starting Safety yet. God knows if he ever will be. Hopefully guys redshirting and learning and being brought in will have more overall defensive team speed than we have. But having said all that, we've now played 5 games and generated only 2 takeaways. This, after a year in which we lived on takeaways. So you can look at it one of two ways. That we just aren't good of generating them, and that fact alone will make this year much tougher than we hoped it would. Or we're just not getting our share of brakes and when it evens out we'll be fine. I'm not optimistic but we'll see.

On O, shout out to Thompson, a former in-state walk-on who got his first carry from scrimmage and looked like he belonged. Love those stories. I think Rutherford played LG, even though it looks like Vachery and Hopkins both saw the field. Thomas really is a superior player with the ball in his hands. Mayala is coming on strong. We were unable to get anything at all out of the running game, however, as they put everyone in the box to defend the run and the short pass, and while we hit some intermediate passes we couldn't hit enough of them, or any long ones, to get it done. Again, Houston is just a superior team, and I don't think we learned much at all. But they'll have to be much better against Cincy if we're going to get something done.

So we got beat bad by a better team. The season moves on. I still think that we are capable of doing more as a hole than we've seen, but we'll see.
In a nut shell going forward does BD gets us goin the right direction or are we always gonna be looking back at the RE era wishing we could be that way again? Gotta tell ya I'm very disgusted right now with our future! God I hope we can be better than vanilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom