The View From Section 241 -- ECU | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 -- ECU

Reaction Score
Well, that was harsh. That was a must win game played in a sauna in front of friends and family where we dug a deep and early hole, spent the entire game trying to climb out of it, and did -- but only to see a tieing chip shot field goal attempt go badly awry. I am fairly certain that is the first time in the history of the Rent that we've walked out losers because we missed a FG attempt. We've walked away winners under those circumstances -- Duke and UVA come to mind. We've lost on missed FGs on the road. Rutgers in '08 and maybe you put Mizzou on that list, even though we never kicked the ball. But at home, the closest we came was Akron in '04 where Nuzzi missed, giving the ball back to Charley Frye, and miraculously Akron threw a bunch of incomplete passes, gave us the ball back with clock and timeouts, Dan O drove us back into FG range and this time Nuzzi came through. It is an awfully deflating way to lose a home game. The lack of a crowd -- not at the end of the year but for a game where we were 1-1 -- was astounding, but I won't read much into it given that it was on a Sunday with little warning. Hopefully not a portent of things to come. Having said that, however, the next time a student asks for more basketball games in Storrs, or criticizes how grown ups watch a game, he can screw himself. The UConn student body should be embarrassed -- no, ashamed -- for their showing on Sunday. And while it was too hot to be playing or even watching football, unlike the Stony Brook game what we saw on Sunday was at least a competitive, and if you like offense, entertaining football game. I felt like I was trapped in a Touchdown Husky movie. I am supposed to be happy that we can now generate over 500 yards of total offense every game, but we couldn't stop a pickup Pop Warner team. You know the old gypsy curse -- may you one day get exactly what you wish for? Congratulations TDH. I hope you are happy, because that would make one of us.

Turning to the offense, Lashlee should be canonized NOW, and the offensive positional coaches should be on the list to be considered in the future. Our QB is who he is -- a solid player, but without either breakaway speed or the ability to throw deep with accuracy -- but damn, we can move the ball. I can't explain why Arkeel can't get holes he can find in the running game, but we have 3 3/4 more years of Mensah and Hopkins? Wow. Mensah especially looks like he's going to be a great weapon, along the lines of that short but not small Pitt back from back in '09 from Blair Academy whose name escapes me. Newsome, even if he's now our 3rd string TB, was just immense making plays in space. The long TD catch and run -- escaping traffic in that crowd on the sideline -- was just an unbelievable play. We unexpectedly lose our top WR at the start of the game and everyone else on offense -- the OL, the WRs (including a walk on getting his first real action), BS and Arkeel all step up. The OL and Grimes have not gotten enough credit here. Yes, the ECU defense is horrible, but we are getting better pass protection, we are running effectively whomever is in at TB and we are doing this while we are rebuilding the OL with youngsters on the fly. Von Demark's effort on the Newsome long TD catch was an effort we haven't seen from a UConn OT since Ryan Krug in the opener at the Rent against Indiana. So whatever happens this year, you have to love what we're seeing on offense with youngsters playing everywhere but QB.

The defense, however, is another story. As I have said in another thread, this is mostly about talent, but I don't think it's all about talent. Why are Foley and Joseph and the rest of our interior D solid against straight ahead running plays but much less effective against misdirection? Why did we keep allowing them to have a 3 on 2 advantage on swing passes to the strong side without figuring out how we maintained parity on that side of the field? How can you constantly leave the intermediate middle open on third downs? I don't blame Crocker for the fact that we are as bad a defense as I think I've ever seen -- he doesn't get beaten by every move of a WR or miss tackles constantly or not have the speed to effectively rush the passer -- but I'm watching to see if this is really the guy to get us back to where we want to be. On the other hand, while ECU not scoring for the last 25 minutes of the game may have had more to do with them slowing down and focusing on clock than our play, I will note that a lot of changes were made throughout the game defensively that at least showed you that someone was trying. We started seeing a lot more of Connor Freeborn at DE. Bell got benched for Herring-Wilson, and Coyle got benched for Fortt. And, on passing downs, we did what we should have been doing from day one, which is moving Ormsby to DT and flanking him with Luke and Stapleton, and that did generate somewhat more pressure. Do all these changes stick? Do they make us less pitiful? I don't know. We will see. But at least the coaches were trying, even if at times it didn't look like the players were. (As an aside, did TDH when we started the second half with the two teams combining for four TD drives of 75 yards in 6 minutes?)

Which takes us to special teams. It is great seeing us gain more yards on returns than we give up again, like the old days. Unfortunately, our Punter at this stage in his career isn't showing anything, and Tarbutt, while he has been awesome on kickoffs all year, choked in the clutch. And that was a choke, not a miss. He didn't take a full swing at the ball -- you could tell the moment the ball left his foot that he had babied the kick and just tried to steer it. I couldn't see direction from my seat, but you could tell that he did what I do when I block the golf ball with my driver, and you knew there was trouble. Hopefully, the young man shakes it off. He has a powerful leg. Does he have the mental state? Time will tell. Finally, when Jordan Swann, who had been a weapon, tried taking a KR five yards deep in the end zone out, we didn't see him again. Unless someone heard of an injury, I will assume this is Edsall being Edsall -- if you ignore the coaches instructions, he will find someone who won't. And we're lucky that Skanes is our second option, because he looked fine back there.

Coaching? We did return enough competent players that the defense should not be worst in the country bad. It just shouldn't. It's hard to believe that there isn't some formation and scheme to get more out of these guys, and I am surprised that, with a defensive roster loaded with seniors, more effort didn't go into building a scheme around the players -- at least for this one year -- than forcing the players into a scheme. Hopefully our scheme works and the players figure out their responsibilities better, but we're 3 games and 4 weeks into the season and my hopes are dimming. The offense, however, is light years better than any rational person could have hoped for given how we finished last year, and it's better while we're pushing young players forward in front of more experienced ones. I know that whomever coaches our defense there is not nearly enough team speed, and I know that given time Edsall can bring a defense to UConn, because he consistently did that before. Can he do it with this defensive staff? Time will tell. Can he keep Lashlee long enough to do it? That would be the more rational fear, because the resume that Lashlee will now have after accomplishing what he is accomplishing here will cause him to be offered higher profile and higher money coordinator positions this off season.

So that's it. The thought of getting to 6 wins is largely out of my head by now -- I just don't see the defense to do that. But hopefully we have a year where we see improvement, we start identifying the defensive replacements for the 7 seniors who started on the defensive side of the ball on Sunday and we score enough points to win a few more games and play some competitive games. I know HCRE can rebuild this defense given time. But the questions are can he do it with this defensive coordinator, and can he keep Lashlee long enough to be here when it happens?

Reaction Score
So glad you're back. Missed these, BL.

BTW - the Pitt back was Dion Lewis.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well, that was harsh. That was a must win game played in a sauna in front of friends and family where we dug a deep and early hole, spent the entire game trying to climb out of it, and did -- but only to see a tieing chip shot field goal attempt go badly awry. I am fairly certain that is the first time in the history of the Rent that we've walked out losers because we missed a FG attempt. We've walked away winners under those circumstances -- Duke and UVA come to mind. We've lost on missed FGs on the road. Rutgers in '08 and maybe you put Mizzou on that list, even though we never kicked the ball. But at home, the closest we came was Akron in '04 where Nuzzi missed, giving the ball back to Charley Frye, and miraculously Akron threw a bunch of incomplete passes, gave us the ball back with clock and timeouts, Dan O drove us back into FG range and this time Nuzzi came through. It is an awfully deflating way to lose a home game. The lack of a crowd -- not at the end of the year but for a game where we were 1-1 -- was astounding, but I won't read much into it given that it was on a Sunday with little warning. Hopefully not a portent of things to come. Having said that, however, the next time a student asks for more basketball games in Storrs, or criticizes how grown ups watch a game, he can screw himself. The UConn student body should be embarrassed -- no, ashamed -- for their showing on Sunday. And while it was too hot to be playing or even watching football, unlike the Stony Brook game what we saw on Sunday was at least a competitive, and if you like offense, entertaining football game. I felt like I was trapped in a Touchdown Husky movie. I am supposed to be happy that we can now generate over 500 yards of total offense every game, but we couldn't stop a pickup Pop Warner team. You know the old gypsy curse -- may you one day get exactly what you wish for? Congratulations TDH. I hope you are happy, because that would make one of us.

Turning to the offense, Lashlee should be canonized NOW, and the offensive positional coaches should be on the list to be considered in the future. Our QB is who he is -- a solid player, but without either breakaway speed or the ability to throw deep with accuracy -- but damn, we can move the ball. I can't explain why Arkeel can't get holes he can find in the running game, but we have 3 3/4 more years of Mensah and Hopkins? Wow. Mensah especially looks like he's going to be a great weapon, along the lines of that short but not small Pitt back from back in '09 from Blair Academy whose name escapes me. Newsome, even if he's now our 3rd string TB, was just immense making plays in space. The long TD catch and run -- escaping traffic in that crowd on the sideline -- was just an unbelievable play. We unexpectedly lose our top WR at the start of the game and everyone else on offense -- the OL, the WRs (including a walk on getting his first real action), BS and Arkeel all step up. The OL and Grimes have not gotten enough credit here. Yes, the ECU defense is horrible, but we are getting better pass protection, we are running effectively whomever is in at TB and we are doing this while we are rebuilding the OL with youngsters on the fly. Von Demark's effort on the Newsome long TD catch was an effort we haven't seen from a UConn OT since Ryan Krug in the opener at the Rent against Indiana. So whatever happens this year, you have to love what we're seeing on offense with youngsters playing everywhere but QB.

The defense, however, is another story. As I have said in another thread, this is mostly about talent, but I don't think it's all about talent. Why are Foley and Joseph and the rest of our interior D solid against straight ahead running plays but much less effective against misdirection? Why did we keep allowing them to have a 3 on 2 advantage on swing passes to the strong side without figuring out how we maintained parity on that side of the field? How can you constantly leave the intermediate middle open on third downs? I don't blame Crocker for the fact that we are as bad a defense as I think I've ever seen -- he doesn't get beaten by every move of a WR or miss tackles constantly or not have the speed to effectively rush the passer -- but I'm watching to see if this is really the guy to get us back to where we want to be. On the other hand, while ECU not scoring for the last 25 minutes of the game may have had more to do with them slowing down and focusing on clock than our play, I will note that a lot of changes were made throughout the game defensively that at least showed you that someone was trying. We started seeing a lot more of Connor Freeborn at DE. Bell got benched for Herring-Wilson, and Coyle got benched for Fortt. And, on passing downs, we did what we should have been doing from day one, which is moving Ormsby to DT and flanking him with Luke and Stapleton, and that did generate somewhat more pressure. Do all these changes stick? Do they make us less pitiful? I don't know. We will see. But at least the coaches were trying, even if at times it didn't look like the players were. (As an aside, did TDH when we started the second half with the two teams combining for four TD drives of 75 yards in 6 minutes?)

Which takes us to special teams. It is great seeing us gain more yards on returns than we give up again, like the old days. Unfortunately, our Punter at this stage in his career isn't showing anything, and Tarbutt, while he has been awesome on kickoffs all year, choked in the clutch. And that was a choke, not a miss. He didn't take a full swing at the ball -- you could tell the moment the ball left his foot that he had babied the kick and just tried to steer it. I couldn't see direction from my seat, but you could tell that he did what I do when I block the golf ball with my driver, and you knew there was trouble. Hopefully, the young man shakes it off. He has a powerful leg. Does he have the mental state? Time will tell. Finally, when Jordan Swann, who had been a weapon, tried taking a KR five yards deep in the end zone out, we didn't see him again. Unless someone heard of an injury, I will assume this is Edsall being Edsall -- if you ignore the coaches instructions, he will find someone who won't. And we're lucky that Skanes is our second option, because he looked fine back there.

Coaching? We did return enough competent players that the defense should not be worst in the country bad. It just shouldn't. It's hard to believe that there isn't some formation and scheme to get more out of these guys, and I am surprised that, with a defensive roster loaded with seniors, more effort didn't go into building a scheme around the players -- at least for this one year -- than forcing the players into a scheme. Hopefully our scheme works and the players figure out their responsibilities better, but we're 3 games and 4 weeks into the season and my hopes are dimming. The offense, however, is light years better than any rational person could have hoped for given how we finished last year, and it's better while we're pushing young players forward in front of more experienced ones. I know that whomever coaches our defense there is not nearly enough team speed, and I know that given time Edsall can bring a defense to UConn, because he consistently did that before. Can he do it with this defensive staff? Time will tell. Can he keep Lashlee long enough to do it? That would be the more rational fear, because the resume that Lashlee will now have after accomplishing what he is accomplishing here will cause him to be offered higher profile and higher money coordinator positions this off season.

So that's it. The thought of getting to 6 wins is largely out of my head by now -- I just don't see the defense to do that. But hopefully we have a year where we see improvement, we start identifying the defensive replacements for the 7 seniors who started on the defensive side of the ball on Sunday and we score enough points to win a few more games and play some competitive games. I know HCRE can rebuild this defense given time. But the questions are can he do it with this defensive coordinator, and can he keep Lashlee long enough to be here when it happens?

The offense may still be an issue. 596 yards against ECU sounds great, but that was the ECU defense's best performance of the year. The only team that gained less than 614 yards against them this year.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There is no way Lashlee is going to be here two years from now.

The punting has been beyond hideous.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Good write-up.

Lashlee is even better than advertised, and he has taken the worst offense in the nation and made them into a top 25 offense statistically; something that I didn't think was possible after losing 2 OL and our best receiver:

Total Offense | FBS Football Statistics - NCAA.com

And I agree that the OLine is playing better. Not dominant, but we weren't expecting dominant with the current group. We were praying for competent. And Grimes has certainly given us that. Very few penalties. Their timing is perfect together. Guards are starting to pull again. Great signs all around.

The defense is horrible, and there's no other way to say it. And if it weren't for Joseph, this defense would be twice as bad. Lots of young pups are going to have to grow on the job, and fast. But I share BizLaw's concerns about Crocker. We lost key players from last year and I expected that it would be tough to have a strong D, but to be this bad cannot only be explained by the talent level. Something has to change here fast.

In total, there are very positive signs that we are on the right track to getting better and the future is certainly bright. But our fanbase is at an unfortunate point where we need the improvement to happen like yesterday (especially the crappy student section showing as Biz pointed out). Hopefully, the defense can get back to the point of respectability, because the situation is dire...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

I hope Corey, who next year should be head of UConn's twitter department under AD Dave and chief volunteer coach of the football team, will have soaked all of Lashlee's knowledge by then.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I agree that Tarbutt’s miss was entirely mental. It was his first real pressure kick and he didn’t capitalize. It floated in the air for what felt like forever making it worse to watch.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I don't think you can draw any long term conclusions from a crowd of 14k on a weird day for a CFB game with short notice due to a rescheduled game. It's really tough to blame anybody for not showing up under those circumstances, since it required changing any previous plans made on a Sunday. However, if we lose most if not all the rest of our home games this season, I'm afraid 14k crowds will become the norm, not an exception, before this season is over, and possibly into at least the early portion of next season's home schedule. Even if we can manage to continue to play more exciting offense and make a few games competitive, losses are still losses, and that's all the potential, casual walk-up crowd will see when deciding whether or not to show up for a home game. I hope I'm wrong, but winning is going to be the prescription for putting fans back in the seats.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Well, I still would want to know if the hit he took was on the return or from the coaches when he got to the sideline. (Just a joke -- hope the young man is fine.)

You could after the return you referenced, he was guided off the field by teammates and never saw the field again. I'm 99% certain he wasn't benched for taking the ball out of the end zone (something he has done before successfully).

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score

In high school, my son averaged 42.5 yards per punt with a 3.5 hang time. That's not world class, but I guess it can't be far off from what UConn has now.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Well, I still would want to know if the hit he took was on the return or from the coaches when he got to the sideline. (Just a joke -- hope the young man is fine.)

Yes he got dinged and was taken to the locker room shortly after.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Love the BL updates. They're great for us out-of-staters.

But I don't know if 86 degrees at kickoff is hot. I remember the opening day of the SMU stadium in August 2000 against Kansas. Something like 105 degrees in the shade, 125 in the sun. That's hot.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That's what ND fans said about Diaco after 2012.

Do you realize how irrelevant that is? ND doesn't lose its coordinators left and right to programs that offer them more prestige and money to go elsewhere as a coordinator. It's more likely to lose them to someone who eventually gets a head coach job, like Diaco. UConn does not pay its coordinators anywhere near what they would get at a bigger P6 school, and can lose them to lateral moves at bigger schools.

But thank you for coming onto a UConn thread and making totally irrelevant and dumb posts about Notre Dame. I know I appreciate it.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Nice write up BL. Good to see View from 241 back!

One quibble:
Having said that, however, the next time a student asks for more basketball games in Storrs, or criticizes how grown ups watch a game, he can screw himself. The UConn student body should be embarrassed -- no, ashamed -- for their showing on Sunda

A noon Sunday game is going to be tough for college kids for the obvious reasons. That said, I see a little chicken and egg issue with the concept that a bad Sunday noon turnout at a stadium 30 minutes away from campus after an absolutely putrid season somehow means that less games should be played in Storrs. There are good reasons, free land and better access for Fairfield County, for us having our stadium so far off campus, but it comes with a cost since it is far less accessible for college students. Make no mistake about it, today's students are tomorrow's season ticket holders. It is what it is, so there's not much point bemoaning it, but the lack of student turnout at the Rent is a consequence of it being so far off campus not a justification of it, IMHO.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Good write-up.

Lashlee is even better than advertised, and he has taken the worst offense in the nation and made them into a top 25 offense statistically; something that I didn't think was possible after losing 2 OL and our best receiver:

Total Offense | FBS Football Statistics - NCAA.com

And I agree that the OLine is playing better. Not dominant, but we weren't expecting dominant with the current group. We were praying for competent. And Grimes has certainly given us that. Very few penalties. Their timing is perfect together. Guards are starting to pull again. Great signs all around.

The defense is horrible, and there's no other way to say it. And if it weren't for Joseph, this defense would be twice as bad. Lots of young pups are going to have to grow on the job, and fast. But I share BizLaw's concerns about Crocker. We lost key players from last year and I expected that it would be tough to have a strong D, but to be this bad cannot only be explained by the talent level. Something has to change here fast.

In total, there are very positive signs that we are on the right track to getting better and the future is certainly bright. But our fanbase is at an unfortunate point where we need the improvement to happen like yesterday (especially the crappy student section showing as Biz pointed out). Hopefully, the defense can get back to the point of respectability, because the situation is dire...

They have been a lot better but those stats are useless with no correction for schedule.

Reaction Score
Nice write up BL. Good to see View from 241 back!

One quibble:

A noon Sunday game is going to be tough for college kids for the obvious reasons. That said, I see a little chicken and egg issue with the concept that a bad Sunday noon turnout at a stadium 30 minutes away from campus after an absolutely putrid season somehow means that less games should be played in Storrs. There are good reasons, free land and better access for Fairfield County, for us having our stadium so far off campus, but it comes with a cost since it is far less accessible for college students. Make no mistake about it, today's students are tomorrow's season ticket holders. It is what it is, so there's not much point bemoaning it, but the lack of student turnout at the Rent is a consequence of it being so far off campus not a justification of it, IMHO.

Sorry, but we fully and completely disagree. I was expecting, and was ready for, as disappointing a turnout for students as for everyone else. But there were not 1000 students there for the start of the game. That there aren't more students than that to whom it's important to be at a football game -- as opposed to a nice social activity if it fits into the schedule -- is both shocking and horrifying.

Reaction Score
They have been a lot better but those stats are useless with no correction for schedule.

No one is saying our offense would roll through the SEC. But that doesn't in any way change that fact that he took an offense that wasn't a traffic wreck as much as a bridge collapse, with questionable personnel at best, and improved it greatly immediately.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
But there were not 1000 students there for the start of the game. That there aren't more students than that to whom it's important to be at a football game -- as opposed to a nice social activity if it fits into the schedule -- is both shocking and horrifying.
<--fair point

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sorry, but we fully and completely disagree. I was expecting, and was ready for, as disappointing a turnout for students as for everyone else. But there were not 1000 students there for the start of the game. That there aren't more students than that to whom it's important to be at a football game -- as opposed to a nice social activity if it fits into the schedule -- is both shocking and horrifying.
And a natural consequence of building a stadium in location more convenient for alumni than for current students.

(No problem with your seeing this differently though.)

Reaction Score
Do you realize how irrelevant that is? ND doesn't lose its coordinators left and right to programs that offer them more prestige and money to go elsewhere as a coordinator. It's more likely to lose them to someone who eventually gets a head coach job, like Diaco. UConn does not pay its coordinators anywhere near what they would get at a bigger P6 school, and can lose them to lateral moves at bigger schools.

But thank you for coming onto a UConn thread and making totally irrelevant and dumb posts about Notre Dame. I know I appreciate it.

No problem, as long as you appreciate it I'll keep posting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom