The View From Section 241 — Fresno State | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 — Fresno State

Reaction Score
What a treat to need to write a 241 the night of the game, while I’m feeling emotions. Day started with disappointment. Cancelled my tailgate at 8:00 a.m. because it was people from work and I couldn’t see making them worry if they had to come join me on a lousy day. But as the forecast improved, figured I’d go by myself. When I said by myself, I meant not sitting with anyone I knew. I didn’t mean being virtually the only person in the blue lot or Section 241. But whatever. I pulled into the blue lot at 3:00, had a small brewery Vermont beer and a bag of chips, and wandered into an empty stadium at 3:20. While I was sitting by my car having a beer, someone else by themself wandered up and asked if I thought we had a chance. I said no. He asked if we could make it competitive. I said I hope so. Let me tell you, I’ve never been so happy wiping egg off my face. It has been almost five years — since November of 2017 — that we have a single FBS win against anyone other than UMass. I hoped it would come this year but I wasn’t expecting it today, as 23 point dogs.

The single thing that jumped out at me was how into the game, supportive and enthusiastic the UConn bench was. From the opening kickoff until Robert Burns 4th and 2 fourth down conversion. How a team that had been so thoroughly destroyed for three straight weeks could come out with that attitude was beyond my comprehension. But they did. I haven’t been bashing Mora and staff during the losing streak, and I’m not going to turn my head around and throw praise on them after this. Still a lot that they, along with the players, have to work on. But players and coaches believed in their hearts, and weren’t listening to their heads. And like the road win at Temple in 2013, at 0-9 on a lousy weather day with no reason to believe, they made it happen. My heartfelt congratulations to all of them, and I was happy to share a piece of their joy.

Offense, defense and specials. Let’s start with specials. Yuch. The missed tackles on their punt return TD was a joke, and while I’ll forgive our kickoffs into the wind, we twice ran into their punter and somehow escaped flags. And Victor Rosa has to be able to get to punts and make fair catches. But it didn’t cost us the game.

The defense was just great. It’s hard to imagine where that game came from. The corners — Bell and Wortham — were terrific. Where did that tackling come from on the short, wide passes? And I thought we didn’t have enough DL to make the switch to the 4-3, but we kept bringing in folks that I had never noticed before and whomever was playing put pressure on their QB without letting him run free to their outside. While thoroughly stuffing the run. And getting three takeaways. The best defensive game we’ve played, off the top of my head, probably since the 6-6 bowl year in 2015. There was no dramatic 95 yard drive to win the game without their 60 minute masterpiece.

The offense was not great. We were barely over 200 yards until the game winning drive. But it overcame Zion coughing it up in FG range to take the lead for the half (where, yet again, he didn’t see a free defender coming at him from 25 yards away), and then Houston coughing it up when we were in FG range to get back into the game early in the 2d half, and then the penalty cancelling out what could have been a game winning long scramble from Zion Turner in the 4th. And did enough to get it done. But on the offensive end, with a lot of work to do (for God sakes, if teams are overplaying the run can run we some play action to short passes where Zion knows where he’s throwing no matter what before the play starts and makes a quick throw), and too many injuries to overcome, it was individual performances that stood out to me. Notwithstanding the fumble, Houston was great. Look, he’s playing out of position as a starting TB. He should be a slot back getting a limited number of touches a game. But there he was, with his first 100 yard game, notwithstanding being keyed on. And coming back from his fumble for the game winning TD on a play where it looked like not much was there. Robert Burns, who didn’t come here to be a bit player, but became that (notwithstanding that everyone seems to agree that he is a superior human being). But here he was, with a chance for our biggest win in five years requiring him to make plays, coming up with 29 huge yards, mostly into packed defenses.. Justin Jolley, the true frosh from New Rochelle, who not only became a weapon in the passing game, but made one huge play catching a ball short of a first down, and knowing where the sticks were and wrestling his way to them. Chase Lundt, at RT, who I didn’t notice in the passing game once. meaning that he stopped being overrun on passing downs. And most of all maybe, Kevin Clercius, who must have been wondering with all the WR injuries why in the world no one ever looked to throw to him this year. Who not only didn’t choke on the first QB lined up in the slot reverse pass, but, not open, did his best Geremy Davis imitation with the game on the line and caught the 40 yard ball (well thrown to be sure) despite being covered, turning the game from one where we were chasing to one where we were in the drivers seat. Congratulations to all.

I am not going to get ahead of myself and talk about what we are all thinking (which is if we play like this can we get to 4-4, or what it says about the staff). I am just going to enjoy our first real win in 5 years. And count the hours to a winnable game in Miami in 7 days, where if we play as well as we did today we should walk away 3-4. But it was good to remember for a moment what hope, and winning, and overcoming adversity, felt like. Thank you to all involved.

Last edited:

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Enjoy this, Bizlaw.

This place has been worse off for you not feeling like yourself about the Huskies. But I know that you're in that stadium with me; rain or shine, win or loss. One day, I'll come over to meet you finally.

But a view from 241 is exactly what we need. And a view from 200... and a view from 110... and a view from everywhere in that stadium. The future is bright, and the Husky Faithful should usher in the new era.

I know you've been there the whole time... but welcome back!

Reaction Score
Man D was awesome Our fg kicker from Conrad? Was big time money. Jolly was money. Love this team.

D lead, love it, put offense players can stand up and ZT will be a very good one ( think Lorenzo). Way high tonight for a classic W

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Late in game, 3rd and 9 and Mora had Swenson faking the blitz, dropped him in to coverage and brought Jackson in on the blitz. Jackson absolutely blew up #7, Sims, and got the sack.

Great defensive calls throughout the game by Mora and his staff. Got plenty of pressure with 3 and 4 man rushes allowing UConn to play max coverage.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
One more nugget to chew on today.

The defensive schemes which UConn showed and executed yesterday definitely wasn't any sort of hold over from Spanos' D where opposing QB's said what you saw coming out of the huddle is what you got when the ball was snapped.

This definitely has the feel of Mora and his staff firmly imprinting their schemes on the field.

All this while switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3. Seems like Jelani Stafford has been the big benefactor- he's getting more snaps and seeing his jersey a lot in the backfield.

Reaction Score
We showed several stunts and D line maneuvers we hadn’t shown in our two big losses. Mora had a plan, both for the D—and for when to unleash Zion. And how to end the game to avoid an unforeseen catastrophe—like a blocked FG. Great to have confidence in
his experience.
Most importantly, he never let those blowouts define or demoralize us The character of the team was rock solid. That long drive for a meaningless touchdown vs N C St’s 3rd stringers was nice. Last night’s 95 yard drive for the win against Fresno’s best was incredible.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
We showed several stunts and D line maneuvers we hadn’t shown in our two big losses. Mora had a plan, both for the D—and for when to unleash Zion. And how to end the game to avoid an unforeseen catastrophe—like a blocked FG. Great to have confidence in
his experience.
Most importantly, he never let those blowouts define or demoralize us The character of the team was rock solid. That long drive for a meaningless touchdown vs N C St’s 3rd stringers was nice. Last night’s 95 yard drive for the win against Fresno’s best was incredible.

Clayton Keller Hockey GIF by NHL on NBC Sports

Reaction Score
Remarkable coaching job!

Keeping the team focused and motivated given all that they have endured is just terrific work. I assume Mora is a more than capable X&Os coach, but if he can lead like this then this program may really have a chance to turn the corner.

Nice write up Biz.

Reaction Score
Well said BL. My wedding reception got canceled last minute because it was outside with no backup plan. I just didn’t have the energy to go up in questionable weather to watch us get pounded. Watched every minute on TV and missed out on a great game in person!!

I couldn’t believe the non calls on the punts either. They weren’t roughing the punter but definitely running into…only one of them would have mattered. The 2nd one was on 4th and 3. Dodged a bullet there.

Reaction Score
But it overcame Zion coughing it up in FG range to take the lead for the half (where, yet again, he didn’t see a free defender coming at him from 25 yards away), and then Houston coughing it up when we were in FG range to get back into the game early in the 2d half, and then the penalty cancelling out what could have been a game winning long scramble from Zion Turner in the 4th.

Zion really needs to learn to check his rear-view mirror, so to speak. He's too vulnerable to surprise blitzes. I hope Mora and his QB coach can help him work on his blitz radar, maybe starting with pre-snap reads to identify which guys might not drop into coverage and then doing a glance-back once the ball is snapped. It's painful to watch from the stands and yell "Look out, look out!" to a sitting duck carrying an exposed football. Bad for my heart.

I'm still not convinced Houston actually fumbled before he was down. I know the replays on the scoreboard were a bit inconclusive, but I suspect he didn't think he really fumbled either. Easier to bounce back from that, I'd suppose. And even if he did fumble, it was with three guys on him and his arms wrapped around the ball, initially landing on top of a defender. Just tough luck more than a mistake.

Also, I doubt Turner would have been able to make that long run without the holding penalty, as the D-lineman was probably going to get at least a hand on him without the O-lineman's arm wrapping around his neck and pulling him back. Zion didn't take off until after the yank, which was obvious right away, and the flag came out before he'd even crossed the line of scrimmage. Knowing the play would be negated, I didn't feel so bad about that one, though it'd have been nice if holding wasn't necessary there.

Reaction Score
0-9 on 3rd and 4th down. That's getting off the field.
Enormous stat. Maybe the biggest stat of the game for us. D constantly got off the field and gave the ball back to the offense, who had a sizable advantage in time of possession. Even after our offense committed turnovers our D turned the ball back over. Tre Wortham’s pick along the sideline at 14-6 was enormous. The D, with the exception of Fresno’s TD drive to start the 3rd qtr, was excellent all game

Reaction Score
Zion really needs to learn to check his rear-view mirror, so to speak. He's too vulnerable to surprise blitzes. I hope Mora and his QB coach can help him work on his blitz radar, maybe starting with pre-snap reads to identify which guys might not drop into coverage and then doing a glance-back once the ball is snapped. It's painful to watch from the stands and yell "Look out, look out!" to a sitting duck carrying an exposed football. Bad for my heart.

I'm still not convinced Houston actually fumbled before he was down. I know the replays on the scoreboard were a bit inconclusive, but I suspect he didn't think he really fumbled either. Easier to bounce back from that, I'd suppose. And even if he did fumble, it was with three guys on him and his arms wrapped around the ball, initially landing on top of a defender. Just tough luck more than a mistake.

Also, I doubt Turner would have been able to make that long run without the holding penalty, as the D-lineman was probably going to get at least a hand on him without the O-lineman's arm wrapping around his neck and pulling him back. Zion didn't take off until after the yank, which was obvious right away, and the flag came out before he'd even crossed the line of scrimmage. Knowing the play would be negated, I didn't feel so bad about that one, though it'd have been nice if holding wasn't necessary there.
On the holding call, if Senn could have been called for tackling, instead of holding, he would have been.

Reaction Score
Well said BL. My wedding reception got canceled last minute because it was outside with no backup plan. I just didn’t have the energy to go up in questionable weather to watch us get pounded. Watched every minute on TV and missed out on a great game in person!!

I couldn’t believe the non calls on the punts either. They weren’t roughing the punter but definitely running into…only one of them would have mattered. The 2nd one was on 4th and 3. Dodged a bullet there.
I believe when the ball hits the ground on a punt you can run into the kicker without penalty. That happened on one of the punts, I'm not sure about the other one

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I believe when the ball hits the ground on a punt you can run into the kicker without penalty. That happened on one of the punts, I'm not sure about the other one

Thank you. Live and learn. On one of the two occasions, the punter clearly dropped the snap before picking it up and punting.

Reaction Score
On the holding call, if Senn could have been called for tackling, instead of holding, he would have been.
True, but I like how it was a total mauling. A hold in the middle of an a-kicking as opposed to a reach.

Reaction Score
At the end of the game I was SO happy it was Mora on the sidelines. I said to myself, the staff isn't gonna panic. They know what to do. Mora won't blow it like certain other coaches we no longer mention. I would have kicked the FG but they made the right call. It reminded me of Todman on fourth down and 1 on his own 22 that night against Pitt. With Sherman leading the way he got four. Exactly what yesterday's last play felt like.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom