The View From Section 241 — Buffalo | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 — Buffalo

Reaction Score
Well, that was easy. Shockingly easy. I thought we could shut them down, but I didn’t think we could shred them offensively the way we did. Their body language in the second half was like nothing I’ve seen before at the Rent. Those players couldn’t wait to get the game behind them and worry about what they were eating before their trip home. Having sat behind the visitors bench since the date the Rent opened, I’ve never seen a team so obviously quit on themselves.

Another nice fall day for football. Simple tailgate for a noon start — first course of munchkins and mixed fruit, and then French toast and an unbelievable breakfast sausage from Custom Meat in Fairfield, which only purchases from small area farms. And a lot of beer. Crowd was really disappointing. To go downhill from last week’s blow out win was really hard to comprehend. Student section went from full to empty. And the rest of the stadium looked similar. Hopefully, the students come back for the later start next week and we can get the general fan base up at least somewhat as we continue our good play.

Let’s start with special teams this week. We really destroyed them. Freeman was 100%, although we still need to see him make clutch and longer kicks. But all you can do week to week is make the plays you’re asked to make. We shanked the first punt, but killed the next two within the 5. Kickoff coverage was consistently good. And TJ Sheffield was an unbelievable weapon returning punts all day (and kudos to the rest of the punt return unit for helping him).

The defense, for the second straight week, was basically perfect. Both the schemes and the play. When a defense plays like that everyone is doing their job, and it’s hard to single anyone out, but I’ll give three shout outs. One is to Jack Barton. It would be great to have Yates back, but the job the pass rushing Furman transfer did IN COVERAGE on zone blitzes was really top rate. Brown and McDonald are everywhere making tackles, but I expected them to. Hardy at the third LB slot has been making more and more each week and is really carrying his share of the load. And Malcolm Bell, having started for a year and a half, could have sulked when we used NIL funds to bring in players to replace him, but after an early injury there he was, ready to play the same consistent football at corner that he had played as a starter before. Since the pick 6 at Duke (and credit to the Dukies for coming back from 20 down yesterday to remain undefeated), the defense has just been spectacular. Yes, spectacular against our level of opposition, but spectacular nonetheless.

The offense has also been nothing short of spectacular the last two weeks, and FAU and Buffalo were both better defensively than offensively. The running game has simply been spectacular. The yards per carry from each of the TBs yesterday was just great. And the passing game, while not great, was sufficient even before Bell’s two big plays. Blocking by the OL, the TEs and even the wideouts is consistent as anything, and wideouts other than Bell contributing with catches is a big step forward. But the bottom line is you can’t both double cover Bell every play and stack the box against the run. And if we can beat you either way …. I’m not going to say a lot about QB, both because it will be discussed in 80 other threads and because we don’t know what Evers‘ availability will be going forward anyway. Neither is a great college football player by any stretch. But I will say only that the ability of JF to throw downfield, especially with Bell’s ability to make big players, is more important to the offense than having to account for NE in the running game. And that conclusion is not changed at all by whether you think one QB is better than the other,.

So most importantly, where does this leave us going forward? Comparing this team to teams under first Edsall and P is fairly useless as the strength of schedule and quality of opposition is just so different. But I’ll say this. This team is playing far better at home than anyone left on our schedule. Temple next week and Rice are home games that shouldn’t be tons different than our three home games have been to date. Beating UMass even on the road should also not be a challenge. That’s already six wins and bowl eligibility. While maybe Georgia State gives us a game at the Rent, we shouldn’t lose that either. So that’s seven wins and three games worth discussing. Yeah, Wake is a P-4 team but it’s friggin Wake. We would have been favored playing them at home yesterday, before they lost AT HOME to Louisiana Lafayette (they can call it the University of Louisiana all they want, but it’s still ULL). There is absolutely no reason that, with an extra week to prepare and at home, we shouldn’t win that game. So that leaves UAB and Syracuse on the road. We are playing at a level UAB can only dream of, but we haven’t proven we can win on the road so some question there. And Syracuse is a decent football team and it will be on turf at the Dome, so that will be a challenge. But the bottom line is there is no reason we shouldn’t win out on the homestand, get to 7-2, and then how well we can play on the road will define how good the season is. And I will make one more point — this is a very experienced, senior heavy team on both sides of the ball. As fans, this shouldn’t be looked at primarily as a building block for the future — WIN GAMES NOW because, while NIL and the portal means you can rebuild year to year, there is never a guaranty that your rebuild will be successful. We have the ability and the schedule to have a season that changes this 13 year death spiral we’ve been on. It would be a shame to let it go.

Have a good week all. See you next week for what hopefully will be another boring, dominating, easy home victory.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Great writeup as always. I had to unload the U-Haul I drove back with my son's stuff from Ohio on Friday so I couldn't make it. Next week I'm in the DR for a wedding, but my son will take my tickets and stand in for me.

Reaction Score
Great writeup as always. I had to unload the U-Haul I drove back with my son's stuff from Ohio on Friday so I couldn't make it. Next week I'm in the DR for a wedding, but my son will take my tickets and stand in for me.
What is the point of being a money man if you can’t keep the U-Haul for an additional day and unpack on Sunday?

Reaction Score
What is the point of being a money man if you can’t keep the U-Haul for an additional day and unpack on Sunday?

HAHA the money wasn't the point. It was my wife who would have festered having a full U-Haul parked in front of the house all weekend. My son is driving home today - but it is his birthday - so he can't be expected to do anything today. Sometimes you just have to take one for the team :)

FWIW - my son is coming home to take a job at UCONN (trainer for women's rowing/swim/dive) so at least me missing the game was UCONN related.

Reaction Score
On the attendance count, I was also really disappointed.

Interestingly enough, I am a late to the game arrival (no tailgating) because it’s me and my now 3 year old each week going to the game (she makes it a total of 3–4 hours, time in parking lot included, and I’ve learned since the first day a couple years ago I’ll miss the game if I show up to grill).

have a blue lot pass and can normally skate in as the last car in the front left blue lot at 11-11:30. Last week, I was, and the rest of the lots still had plenty of space. This week, when I was pulling up silver lane, cars were parked out to the fence in some areas by the gas station and starting to fill the lot to the right next to the main entrance. I figured the crowd was going to hit 25-30 based on my parking situation, only to be dumbfounded it was less than the week before.

The student section was barren. Step it up, pop a couple of aspirin, get out there early and start your Saturday right.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Interestingly enough, I am a late to the game arrival (no tailgating) because it’s me and my now 3 year old each week going to the game (she makes it a total of 3–4 hours, time in parking lot included, and I’ve learned since the first day a couple years ago I’ll miss the game if I show up to grill).
kudos for bringing her! My daughter turns 3 next month and loves going to the games. The longest she’s gotten so far is from kickoff until halfway or so through the 3rd, I just try to make sure she always has fun and wants to keep coming back. Between UConn and Trinity games, she’s already got a dozen tailgates under her belt! My seven-month old son is getting his first taste of football games this fall as well. It’s a far cry from getting blackout drunk on the bus ride from Storrs… Who knew football games could be this fun?

Reaction Score
I don't blame folks who still in the prove it stage of fandom. It is tough on fans when you field a team that struggles against Holy Cross. This current group of Huskies has an opportunity every week to show things have changed. It will take time. And more victories.

Reaction Score
Agree on the value of Fagnano's downfield passing vs. NE's running. Interestingly enough, Fagnano did just the right amount of running in my opinion. Just enough that it was a possibility that had to be accounted for, but not enough to endanger his long term health. That said, I loved the NE pitch play to the left. He made the cut north, which caused the Sam to bite, and pitched it to the RB for a nice gain.

This was our first game this year. In previous post game comments I saw a lot of complaining about UConn's pass rush. So it is probably appropriate to mention that UConn unveiled (if that is the correct term) a pretty effective pass rush yesterday. And the tackling was pretty awesome. There was one incidence of the edge rusher getting to the QB late in the game that some might have criticized for not wrapping him up. I thought, rather, that he was lucky to have gotten his finger tips to the QB's ankles. Awesome effort.

Reaction Score
On the attendance count, I was also really disappointed.

have a blue lot pass and can normally skate in as the last car in the front left blue lot at 11-11:30. Last week, I was, and the rest of the lots still had plenty of space. This week, when I was pulling up silver lane, cars were parked out to the fence in some areas by the gas station and starting to fill the lot to the right next to the main entrance. I figured the crowd was going to hit 25-30 based on my parking situation, only to be dumbfounded it was less than the week before.

The student section was barren. Step it up, pop a couple of aspirin, get out there early and start your Saturday right.
Students dont get up until 1030 11 AM. Basically they have no chance to make a home game at noon.

Reaction Score
The tackling is night and day better than we’ve seen in recent memory. Now, whether that would hold up against real p4 athletes with more speed and athleticism is another story. But, you got love missing the diving at feet tackles, the turnstile arm tackles, and oops wrong path to the ball which has been an endemic problem.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Nice write up.

A couple of things. The return of UConn having a punt returner is a welcome addition. Towards the end of RE 2.0 UConn was literally just letting punts roll or fair catching everything. Having Sheffield back there is great.

I mentioned in the now locked thread about what we were looking for in yesterday's game and I mentioned I wanted Evers running less and dishing off more. We see the results. As others have said in other threads, Evers is 6'0" and maybe 200lbs. He isn't built to take the beating of running 15 times a game............

That being said, future RPO QB's can see Sammis runs an offense which allows for a RPO QB to excel. If there's a 6'2" 215-220 lbs QB out there, UConn has game film to show that potential recruit how they can excel at UConn.

Speaking of coordinators,,,,,,,right now UConn has its best pair of coordinators since_________________???? Brock and Sammis have done a great job putting playmakers in position to excel.

Love how the defense is starting to wrap up the ball carrier and gang tackling. UConn's stunts and blitzes yesterday had Buffalo completely confused.

The slant pass TD from Fagnano to Bell was beautiful because both inside LB's bit on the run and left the middle of the field wide open. I don't know enough to know what it was with the formation that got both of the LB's to abandon the middle of the field near the goal line, but it worked.

Kudos to the RB's who have embraced the rotation and every one getting some. Also, the RB's as a whole have done a great job picking up blitzes and giving UConn's QBs that extra bit of breathing room.

UConn has just seal clubbed two bad teams in a row. I'd like to point out over the past decade, UConn has routinely lost, and lost big, to other FBS bottom dwellers and has also lost to FCS schools. UConn is playing and looking like a 50-70 range school right now and building confidence.

3-2 with four more games in a row at the Rent. There is a strong probability UConn will be bowl eligible before their next road game.

Reaction Score
Students should show up better for Temple at 3:30. I’m also hopeful that the general public will be a little more interested in Temple than Buffalo. We all know Buffalo is solid but regular non-fans don’t. It’s unfortunate, but our fans have always been fickle about showing up when we don’t play a known brand.

Last edited:

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Students dont get up until 1030 11 AM. Basically they have no chance to make a home game at noon.
... and yet they made it to the Merrimack game at the same kickoff time. Try again...

Reaction Score
Well, that was easy. Shockingly easy. I thought we could shut them down, but I didn’t think we could shred them offensively the way we did. Their body language in the second half was like nothing I’ve seen before at the Rent. Those players couldn’t wait to get the game behind them and worry about what they were eating before their trip home. Having sat behind the visitors bench since the date the Rent opened, I’ve never seen a team so obviously quit on themselves.

Another nice fall day for football. Simple tailgate for a noon start — first course of munchkins and mixed fruit, and then French toast and an unbelievable breakfast sausage from Custom Meat in Fairfield, which only purchases from small area farms. And a lot of beer. Crowd was really disappointing. To go downhill from last week’s blow out win was really hard to comprehend. Student section went from full to empty. And the rest of the stadium looked similar. Hopefully, the students come back for the later start next week and we can get the general fan base up at least somewhat as we continue our good play.

Let’s start with special teams this week. We really destroyed them. Freeman was 100%, although we still need to see him make clutch and longer kicks. But all you can do week to week is make the plays you’re asked to make. We shanked the first punt, but killed the next two within the 5. Kickoff coverage was consistently good. And TJ Sheffield was an unbelievable weapon returning punts all day (and kudos to the rest of the punt return unit for helping him).

The defense, for the second straight week, was basically perfect. Both the schemes and the play. When a defense plays like that everyone is doing their job, and it’s hard to single anyone out, but I’ll give three shout outs. One is to Jack Barton. It would be great to have Yates back, but the job the pass rushing Furman transfer did IN COVERAGE on zone blitzes was really top rate. Brown and McDonald are everywhere making tackles, but I expected them to. Hardy at the third LB slot has been making more and more each week and is really carrying his share of the load. And Malcolm Bell, having started for a year and a half, could have sulked when we used NIL funds to bring in players to replace him, but after an early injury there he was, ready to play the same consistent football at corner that he had played as a starter before. Since the pick 6 at Duke (and credit to the Dukies for coming back from 20 down yesterday to remain undefeated), the defense has just been spectacular. Yes, spectacular against our level of opposition, but spectacular nonetheless.

The offense has also been nothing short of spectacular the last two weeks, and FAU and Buffalo were both better defensively than offensively. The running game has simply been spectacular. The yards per carry from each of the TBs yesterday was just great. And the passing game, while not great, was sufficient even before Bell’s two big plays. Blocking by the OL, the TEs and even the wideouts is consistent as anything, and wideouts other than Bell contributing with catches is a big step forward. But the bottom line is you can’t both double cover Bell every play and stack the box against the run. And if we can beat you either way …. I’m not going to say a lot about QB, both because it will be discussed in 80 other threads and because we don’t know what Evers‘ availability will be going forward anyway. Neither is a great college football player by any stretch. But I will say only that the ability of JF to throw downfield, especially with Bell’s ability to make big players, is more important to the offense than having to account for NE in the running game. And that conclusion is not changed at all by whether you think one QB is better than the other,.

So most importantly, where does this leave us going forward? Comparing this team to teams under first Edsall and P is fairly useless as the strength of schedule and quality of opposition is just so different. But I’ll say this. This team is playing far better at home than anyone left on our schedule. Temple next week and Rice are home games that shouldn’t be tons different than our three home games have been to date. Beating UMass even on the road should also not be a challenge. That’s already six wins and bowl eligibility. While maybe Georgia State gives us a game at the Rent, we shouldn’t lose that either. So that’s seven wins and three games worth discussing. Yeah, Wake is a P-4 team but it’s friggin Wake. We would have been favored playing them at home yesterday, before they lost AT HOME to Louisiana Lafayette (they can call it the University of Louisiana all they want, but it’s still ULL). There is absolutely no reason that, with an extra week to prepare and at home, we shouldn’t win that game. So that leaves UAB and Syracuse on the road. We are playing at a level UAB can only dream of, but we haven’t proven we can win on the road so some question there. And Syracuse is a decent football team and it will be on turf at the Dome, so that will be a challenge. But the bottom line is there is no reason we shouldn’t win out on the homestand, get to 7-2, and then how well we can play on the road will define how good the season is. And I will make one more point — this is a very experienced, senior heavy team on both sides of the ball. As fans, this shouldn’t be looked at primarily as a building block for the future — WIN GAMES NOW because, while NIL and the portal means you can rebuild year to year, there is never a guaranty that your rebuild will be successful. We have the ability and the schedule to have a season that changes this 13 year death spiral we’ve been on. It would be a shame to let it go.

Have a good week all. See you next week for what hopefully will be another boring, dominating, easy home victory.

It's nice when the football doesn't ruin a good meal.

Reaction Score
Students add enthusiasm and atmosphere. What they do not add is revenue to speak of. Would rather have them there, but it was not a disaster that they were not. Since they stayed away en masse, I would assume there was something going on more attractive.

Reaction Score
A
Students add enthusiasm and atmosphere. What they do not add is revenue to speak of. Would rather have them there, but it was not a disaster that they were not. Since they stayed away en masse, I would assume there was something going on more attractive.

A full student section looks good on TV. It does make folks watching at home see the Rent as an attractive place to visit.

Reaction Score
DB definitely noticed the lagging attendance yesterday. This year's team deserves better than to play in a more than half-empty stadium. Hope the casuals step up and get to the Temple game next week.

The student section... I don't know anymore. Always seems to be hit or miss. (That's what happens when you play in an off-campus stadium I guess.) It's up to the rest of us to make the commitment to be there on gameday.

db.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom