The Vanderbilt women’s basketball team has decided against continuing the 2020-21 season. | The Boneyard

The Vanderbilt women’s basketball team has decided against continuing the 2020-21 season.

Reaction Score
I remember a great quote from Milt Wagner in 1986 when Louisville MBB was preparing to play Drexel in the NCAAT. He said "Isn't Drexel one of those academic schools?"

Seems like the "academic schools" - the Ivy League, Duke, UVA and now Vanderbilt - are saying enough is enough.

Reaction Score
They looked like they had quit last week.

not being a smart . They’ve just been going through the motions and not enjoying the game.

Reaction Score
It makes sense to me....the team's roster is seriously truncated to the extent that they are unable to compete effectively. It will be interesting to see how the conference offices adjust the loss of a conference member on the schedule for the rest of the season....

Reaction Score
It is somewhat interesting to me that several high caliber universities are the ones who have cancelled their season thus far. To be fair Vandy (nor Duke, UVA or SMU) were fighting for NCAA tournament positioning this season but I

I tend to think players are safer in the confines of a program where they are regularly tested and somewhat removed from the larger population but if a team and their leadership chooses not to play it is understandable.

Reaction Score

not being a smart . They’ve just been going through the motions and not enjoying the game.
They were competitive against a hobbled Kentucky. Koi was full of joy.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
That's two games cancelled for Tennessee.

Reaction Score
I remember a great quote from Milt Wagner in 1986 when Louisville MBB was preparing to play Drexel in the NCAAT. He said "Isn't Drexel one of those academic schools?"

Seems like the "academic schools" - the Ivy League, Duke, UVA and now Vanderbilt - are saying enough is enough.
Yeah, maybe the Ivy Leaguers ARE smarter than everybody else. But Stanford has taken extreme measures in order to keep playing - aren’t they smart too? Oh yeah - they’re GOOD!

Is SMU an “academic” school? It looks to me like having a BAD basketball ream has a lot to do with it in many of these cases...

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Yeah, maybe the Ivy Leaguers ARE smarter than everybody else. But Stanford has taken extreme measures in order to keep playing - aren’t they smart too? Oh yeah - they’re GOOD!

Is SMU an “academic” school? It looks to me like having a BAD basketball ream has a lot to do with it in many of these cases...
Exactly what Sue Bird said on a broadcast I believe Saturday. How many of these coaches are on hot seats?

Reaction Score

I was thinking the same thing watching their games this season. Their Alabama game was that game. Their match-up against Gardner-Webb, they played with a little life. After that, they had 2 or 3 games cancelled. Then when they played Alabama, it was like they were just done with it all. Body language spoke volumes.

Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing watching their games this season. Their Alabama game was that game. Their match-up against Gardner-Webb, they played with a little life. After that, they had 2 or 3 games cancelled. Then when they played Alabama, it was like they were just done with it all. Body language spoke volumes.
They weren't very good in the first place but I find Coach Whites players never play hard for her or very seldom. I bet you if Vandy was undefeated right now, they would still be playing. I'm surprised Auburn is still playing to be honest but good for them, I guess their kids still want to play even though they are over matched.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Exactly what Sue Bird said on a broadcast I believe Saturday. How many of these coaches are on hot seats?

If one was to go over to the recent thread on that subject, Vandy (Steph White) and UVA (Tina Thompson).

Duke is not in that position and, quite honestly, I have not been following SMU.

Outside of in-conference schedule rearrangements, what do other schools do if they want/need a game? Try to find one? Just muster on? Things get stranger and stranger...

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
If one was to go over to the recent thread on that subject, Vandy (Steph White) and UVA (Tina Thompson).

Duke is not in that position and, quite honestly, I have not been following SMU.

Outside of in-conference schedule rearrangements, what do other schools do if they want/need a game? Try to find one? Just muster on? Things get stranger and stranger...
SMU coach also

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Frankly, this is year 3 for Tina so she will get 2 more years to see if she change the course, White has had more than enough time to prove she's terrible and Travis Mays at SMU should have been fired for the abuse allegations that came out last year as well as the fact he has shown ZERO improvement during his 5 years and has in fact, regressed. I think his initial contract was 6 years but SMU as a private institution has not disclosed.

Like @SECbbfan24 stated, we have to admire the players whose teams are not good and whose coaching situation is suspect that they continue-see Cal, Wisconsin, Washington and any number of mid-major programs. Kudos to them all.
:)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
SMU coach also
Lest us not forget that Geno endorsed Travis at the time, touting how great he would be, yet he should have been fired given the severity of the allegation, but both the AD and SMU President doubled down endorsing this turd of a coach last Feb about these allegations. Just unbelievable...I would say that Geno very rarely criticizes any other coaches or programs even with overwhelming evidence, which given his telling it like it is, is a bit disappointing but I get it. Don't eat your own, "if not for the grace of God, there I go" type of mentality.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom