The Value of Daniel Connolly's Film Analysis | The Boneyard

The Value of Daniel Connolly's Film Analysis

PvP

Reaction Score
Daniel Connolly has a weekly paid-subscription service providing analysis and commentary on a specific UCONN WBB player. I highly recommend this service. This week provided another great film breakdown-specifically on Paige Buecker’s remarkable game against South Carolina last year. However, there was more to be noted in the clips. And that is the play of Aaliyah Edwards and Olivia Nelson-Ododa. If you have access to this analysis, please watch both in each clip and over and over you see Edwards darting to the basket and establishing excellent position. Watching Liv is entirely different. Look, for example, at the drive by Paige where three SC players all coalesced on her trying, unsuccessfully, to stop her (clip no. 8). Liv had handed the ball off to Paige and then just stood there, making no effort to get in possession to put back a miss. This can be seen over and over. See in particular clips #2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 12, 13 and 14 and in each where both AE and ONO are on the court, Aaliyah will establish excellent position for a rebound or a put back while Liv either just stands back or gets boxed out. Again and again, these clips show why I believe that Liv will never be the effective and reliable big in high pressure games that we have hoped for these past three years. Look at these clips and it is evident why Edwards is so effective and Liv is the invisible (wo)man.

Reaction Score
I will endorse Connolly's site. He said he intends to do it for every game. Best UConn stuff around.

As for ONO, she is what she is and IMO that's very good. No, she isn't going to plow through defenders like Boston does. Actually she has always reminded me of Mercedes Russell from Tenn. She too seemed passive in the paint for 3 years. But while she didn't go beast as a senior she played with more aggression and now she's in the W. ONO has great hands and is a powerful passer from up top. And with the targets she will have she will likely be second in assists. And having Juhasz means she can play more aggressively.

Reaction Score
Olivia is awkward catching and shooting the ball. Too many missed layups, too many missed 2s. She needs to do much better, or Dorka will be the starting center. Yes, once she has the ball, Olivia is an excellent passer.

Reaction Score
One thing that Liv and Dorka (and ofc Edwards) need to do is to be able to hit their ft's. If a player can't hit their ft's then it means you can't give them the ball late around the basket in a tight game. Good teams aren't going to leave players wide open from 4 feet- - so if a team is close to UCONN - if Liv can't hit her free throws- she's a liability on offense to a degree. Vs a very good team - it won't matter how good of passer she is. Allowing a very good defensive team (especially in Final Fours or vs elite competition) an advantage of not having to defend all 5 players is a liability.

Reaction Score
I don't know if you can do that here but do you have a link to his site? I have read some of his stuff in the past and was able to see it so perhaps something I'm subscribed to includes it.

PvP

Reaction Score
The analysis and film clips come weekly only via his paid subscription which I highly recommend. You can subscribe through a link in his free weekly post in the UCONN Blog which you can find under UCONN WBB on google.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Actually she has always reminded me of Mercedes Russell from Tenn. She too seemed passive in the paint for 3 years. But while she didn't go beast as a senior she played with more aggression and now she's in the W.

I agree that Mercedes seemed passive (even depressed) in college and have noted in the past that a lot of it had to do with the poor coaching she received during the Warlick era together with the poor morale in the program.
She has turned into a valued and useful big in the Seattle system and seems happy and productive...And if she has trouble guarding Liz Cambage, she's not alone.

Liv would seem not to have that (coaching) excuse.
But I worry that collectively we will remember her for her ineffectiveness in the Arizona game....and not for some of her better performances.

Geno has certainly hedged his bets with the multiple choices he now has inside...
And a most unusual reality is not improbable: a senior who has started for much of her career, facing reduced, even limited minutes.

Reactions: PvP

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom