The underdogs get their pound of power-5 flesh today | The Boneyard

The underdogs get their pound of power-5 flesh today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Marquette just beat Arizona State (currently 18th in the AP poll), 75-63.
No one seems to be talking about Marquette this year, but they should be. They were a middle-of-the-pack team in the Big East last year, but they return all of their top five scorers and rebounders, four of whom are now only sophomores. They just led Arizona State for pretty much the entire game and, just when it looked like ASU might catch them in the 4th, they exploded on a 19-2 run to put the game away. The Golden Eagles are a team to watch.

And Western Kentucky just beat Indiana (23rd in the AP), 85-74.
Not a huge surprise, since the Hilltoppers are a perennial mid-major power, ranked 2nd in ESPN's preseason mid-major rankings, and they were playing this game at home. Tyra Buss had her usual strong game with 24 points but didn't get enough help. Western Kentucky got 28 from Tashia Brown and 16 points and 9 rebounds from Kendall Noble. Indiana somehow wasn't able to capitalize on its 21-9 edge on the offensive glass.

Reaction Score
W Kentucky is a perennial mid power? 25 years ago for sure , but they have been off the rAdar for a while, making tourney 3 of last 13 years.

Last hurrah for Hilltoppers was in the mid90s when they landed the top HS recruit. Her name? Jamie Walz, sister of Jeff.

Plebe

Reaction Score
W Kentucky is a perennial mid power? 25 years ago for sure , but they have been off the rAdar for a while, making tourney 3 of last 13 years.

Last hurrah for Hilltoppers was in the mid90s when they landed the top HS recruit. Her name? Jamie Walz, sister of Jeff.

Wow, Jamie Walz was the No. 1 recruit?

Valid point; "perennial" not so much. They did make the tournament two years ago and lost a close game to Texas, but last year settled for the WNIT.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
ASU has always been prone to odd losses. Has to do with the way they play - conversely, they can pull the odd upset as well.

Indiana surprises me, a bit. although I thought their win over Chattanooga was close, if I am remembering correctly.

Western Kentucky was "all that" at one time among the mid-majors. I think it is somewhat cyclical. They were displaced by teams that have probably been displaced by now. Green Bay has been one of the longest standing mid-majors. UCSB had a run, no more. Hartford had slipped before Jen left. George Washington had some lean years between "Jumping Joe" and Tsipis, Jen should maintain. Will James Madison continue now that their coach left? St. Joseph's had been good on and off, now "off". Marist? Dayton? And so it goes . . .

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Here is a list of the AP's top 25 who have lost in the first 9 days of the season. Have I forgotten anyone?

#2 Baylor
#7 Ohio State
#8 Texas
#9 UCLA
#11 Stanford
#12 Florida State
#18 Arizona State
#22 Miami
#23 Indiana

Plebe

Reaction Score
Here is a list of the AP's top 25 who have lost in the first 9 days of the season. Have I forgotten anyone?

#2 Baylor
#7 Ohio State
#8 Texas
#9 UCLA
#11 Stanford
#12 Florida State
#18 Arizona State
#22 Miami
#23 Indiana

#25 Missouri lost to #17 Washington.

That would make 10 AP-ranked teams who have lost, though it should be noted that four of them (Ohio State, UCLA, Florida State, and Missouri) lost to higher-ranked teams.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
UNLV beat So. Cal 77-66. (last season USC won 73-42)
I see very little out of the plays run on the court for USC.
If they, USC, dont get you on turnovers they are not very creative in getting points in any half set offense. They also are not good on defense, IMO.
I expect USC to finish in the bottom 3 of the Pac12, however, I have not seen every Pac 12 team yet.

Reaction Score
Temple led #19 Florida by 7 at end of Q3. Unfortunately, got scored 34-20 in Q4.

Colorado leads #15 Kentucky by double digits in the 4th.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Temple led #19 Florida by 7 at end of Q3. Unfortunately, got scored 34-20 in Q4.

Colorado leads #15 Kentucky by double digits in the 4th.
Yikes, re CU v. KU.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
And Colorado pulls it off by ten 79-69 over Kentucky

I am actually a little surprised and impressed that KY started 3-0 with the win against #14 Miami - they had a very eventful summer as I recall.

Plebe

Reaction Score
And Colorado pulls it off by ten 79-69 over Kentucky

I am actually a little surprised and impressed that KY started 3-0 with the win against #14 Miami - they had a very eventful summer as I recall.

Kentucky had looked impressive in a convincing win over Miami and two blowouts over lesser teams. I am extremely impressed with Evelyn Akhator. She is Nneka-like.

But those were home games. Playing on the road really is different.

Congrats on a great win for Colorado, a team that had a dreadful season last year. It didn't take its new coach, JR Payne, long to collect her first win over a ranked team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom