The Underappreciation Of Andre Drummond | The Boneyard

The Underappreciation Of Andre Drummond

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I can't believe that I need to use that title, but the Boneyard has once again lived up to it's ridiculous chicken little-ness.

Florida State might be the biggest & most experienced team UConn plays all year, and maybe in the country. One of the best defensive teams in the country.

And today, Andre Drummond, true freshman, did things I have never seen a UConn big do. The spin move/dunk...are you kidding me? Seriously? Dominating older, more experienced big men throughout. Athleticism that is off the page, rapid improvement in his FT stroke.

I think people need to appreciate what this kid is bringing right now.

12 points. 10 rebounds. 7 blocks. 3 steals. An unmeasurable number of deflections, forcing FSU to inbound the basketball, changing shots, intimidating guards driving into the paint.

Every UConn fan should pray there's a 20-year old age limit in the new NBA CBA. Because this kid is a once-in-a-lifetime player to play at UConn.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
He reminded me of Thabeet defensively. Every time they went inside on him, he shut them down.

Reaction Score
Yeah, it's scary that as game-changing as his play has already been, it's only going to get better. Much better.

Let's enjoy this year, because barring a miracle it's all we're going to get.

Reaction Score
I love how he plays defense.Blocking everything that comes into his area. Thank god he didn't touch the shot that forced us into OT. That would of been a disaster. The move to the baseline was amazing. Also I love how he goes up strong. He's only going to get better. His free throw stroke is looking better. Although he went 1-4, I think he's going improve.

Reaction Score
He's unreal. The biggest thing the coaches should be working on in praxctice is finding ways to get him more involved. More post ups, some plays with him facing up, some half court alley oop plays need to be created. Six games into the season and it's already clear as day to me that he's the most talented kid we've ever had and the most exciting thing is that you can tell he's like a sponge and wants to be coached. The sky is the limit.

Reaction Score
What do you mean I thought everyone thought he was a bust and Fab Melo 2.0! Hahah AD is the real deal and is showing great improvement through 7 games. I can't wait to see the player he becomes by March. Watch out!

Reaction Score
What do you mean I thought everyone thought he was a bust and Fab Melo 2.0! Hahah AD is the real deal and is showing great improvement through 7 games. I can't wait to see the player he becomes by March. Watch out!
Anyone who said that is completely insane. The only question, come March, is whether he will be the #1, #2, or #3 pick in the NBA draft in June.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
He's unreal. The biggest thing the coaches should be working on in praxctice is finding ways to get him more involved. More post ups, some plays with him facing up, some half court alley oop plays need to be created. Six games into the season and it's already clear as day to me that he's the most talented kid we've ever had and the most exciting thing is that you can tell he's like a sponge and wants to be coached. The sky is the limit.
Kansas did a great job at Maui having the SF or 2G set
Back screens in the lane to free up Robinson for alley-oop dunks. Once the timing is worked out AD could be equally effective

Reaction Score
Love Drummond.

LOVE HIM.

Go check my posts. Do it! I said that his free throws would be at 50 in no time and that he could be a 75% shooter in March. I stand by that. He's too good, too athletic, and too motivated to not have that be the case.

LOVE HIM.

So stoked he came to UConn.

Reaction Score
You can see Drummond getting better every game. He's already come a long way from where he was earlier in the season. People might see 12 points and not be overwhelmed, but if you watch the game you'd see that this is one of the best players on the tam.

Reaction Score
He doesnt even know what hes doing and he got 12, 10 and 7 blocks, 3 steals. The dunks from the baseline were sick.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I have known this since his freshman year in high school and before. He was handling the ball very well back when he was a mere six footer and 12 years old.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I respectfully disagree with the OP

I think the AD bashers here are a substantive minority, and obviously diminishing

Reaction Score
I like that AD looks to dunk the ball every time he touches it. He probably has dunked it more already this year than Thabeet did his entire career. I know that one won't get past the Boneyard sarcasm police, so I'll note that I was using satire there.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
^^^^^
actually, it may be literally true

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Don't forget the 'Mek like left handed block directly to Bazz to start the break the other way. That was my favorite play of the game despite the glitzy baseline fury.

Reaction Score
Yeah, it's scary that as game-changing as his play has already been, it's only going to get better. Much better.

Let's enjoy this year, because barring a miracle it's all we're going to get.
He has to go because of the threat of possible career threatening injury but we can dream about a second year, and his offense would become so much more polished if he allowed the coaching staff the opportunity.................. my God he's only 18.

Reaction Score
I like that AD looks to dunk the ball every time he touches it. He probably has dunked it more already this year than Thabeet did his entire career. I know that one won't get past the Boneyard sarcasm police, so I'll note that I was using satire there.

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. His moves are not yet refined, but they are deft. He knows where he wants to go with the ball, and he usually gets there.

I even don't mind him trying to take his man off the bounce from the top of the key. As long as he learns to avoid the charge (and learns how to make free throws when he is inevitably fouled on the drive), that will be a very effective move that we haven't seen out of a big man in a long time.

Reaction Score
From game 1 to now, he's made unreal strides. Scary how good he will be when Boat drives the lane, allowing for monster dunks

Every team we have played has accepted shooting from outside already, he's already an intimidating force. Our wings, meaning

LAMB-DANIELS-SCOE have to be more active on the outside, no reason for them to be trapped down inside, use that LENGTH and reach outside to shut down the 3 point game (which will be the thing that beats us)

Reaction Score
For those people that have not been around this forum (or any other one for that matter) you have to understand that there is no IQ test to post. There is no age limit- nor do you have to be a positive or loyal fan- you just sign in and type whatever you want.

As for our team this year- we are a work in progress AD included. We have the potential to be a top 10 team and to get to the FF but we are not a polished team filled with upper classmen like OSU or UNC and unlike Uk we lost our leader (they are more used to changing theirs every year). Quse plays zone (losers) and can play 12 deep and Lville has like 40 players on their roster.

We are still trying to find our starting line up let alone the chemistry needed to comfortably win games. Anyone that watched our first several games could tell that we have all the pieces to be mentioned in the same breath as the teams listed above- but we were certainly not playing like most of them yet.

The great news IMHO- is that our back court looks great- really good. With the addition of RB we are going to be as good as anyone. I thought this would be our main weakness this year- it's not. With DD, ,RS and NG I was and I still am not worried about the 3G spot.

Question. Does anyone really think that AD and AO (TO) and not going to get their collective together and play well by the end of the year? I am not worried. AO proved he could man the middle against the best teams in the country last year and we simply got better with the addition of AD.

WE ARE DOOMED!

Reaction Score
I'm slightly worried about RS and AO.
One of them, or both, is almost undoubtedly going to see a heavy minute cut relative to last year, and I hope they can keep their heads together.

Reaction Score
For those people that have not been around this forum (or any other one for that matter) you have to understand that there is no IQ test to post. There is no age limit- nor do you have to be a positive or loyal fan- you just sign in and type whatever you want.

As for our team this year- we are a work in progress AD included. We have the potential to be a top 10 team and to get to the FF but we are not a polished team filled with upper classmen like OSU or UNC and unlike Uk we lost our leader (they are more used to changing theirs every year). Quse plays zone (losers) and can play 12 deep and Lville has like 40 players on their roster.

We are still trying to find our starting line up let alone the chemistry needed to comfortably win games. Anyone that watched our first several games could tell that we have all the pieces to be mentioned in the same breath as the teams listed above- but we were certainly not playing like most of them yet.

The great news IMHO- is that our back court looks great- really good. With the addition of RB we are going to be as good as anyone. I thought this would be our main weakness this year- it's not. With DD, ,RS and NG I was and I still am not worried about the 3G spot.

Question. Does anyone really think that AD and AO (TO) and not going to get their collective together and play well by the end of the year? I am not worried. AO proved he could man the middle against the best teams in the country last year and we simply got better with the addition of AD.

WE ARE DOOMED!

Maybe there should be?? ha

Reaction Score
R Smith and AO will be fine. RS I really think has not found his stride at this point but he plays great D and that will keep him on the floor.

AO is playing next to a guy that makes everything look so easy I wonder if it is having an effect on him. Something like "how am I going to find time on the floor with this beast on our team". Add to that the fact TO has looked great in all but one game and you have a formula that means he is going to have to get used to earning his minutes- that might be something he did not see coming.

I think the key for this team is defense- if AO plays great D he will be on the floor. He has frankly looked a bit soft this year to date and I thought he would be a killer from day one. He is a good kid- he will come around.

Reaction Score
While we're at it about unhappy vets, Niels Giffey didn't look too enthused yesterday either. But, this is what competition is all about. They will need to get used to this. If anything, it's Tyler Olander who is taking their minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom