the UConn WBB "elevator pitch "What s | The Boneyard

the UConn WBB "elevator pitch "What s

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Imagine you're in an elevator, perhaps in a hotel. Let's say you're going to a UConn road game, and the game is one of the reasons you're there. It could be a business trip, but that's beside the point. Bottom line, you're there and going to the game.

As you enter the elevator, you're wearing your Uconn garb. There's a nice enough guy in the elevator with you, and when he sees your garb, he asks, "Oh, you're going to the women's basketball game?"

When you reply that you are, he asks, "Oh, uconn is a great program, isn't it?"

And now is your opportunity to drop your 30-second elevator pitch for uconn WBB. What do you say?

Here is my shot at it:

"Oh yeah- 11 national championships when no one else has more than eight, six perfect seasons when everyone else combined has five, four of the five longest winning streaks ever, including the top three, and an amazing combination of one, two, three, and four NCs in a row. Have a good night!"

Is that it? Would your rendition of the elevator pitch be different in any way?

This might be either a weird thread or a fun one. I just have been thinking about about uconn WBB and its standout accomplishments that make it so unique and special.

What say you?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Ugh...could a mod edit the thread title by deleting "what s"?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
" I am here to see Basketball played in its most beautiful form. No windmill dunks by me first players. Team basketball with the best passing you have ever seen with a defensive effort that is just artistry and determination, A team that plays to try and reach perfection and does not care about the score. To see the best in student Athletics and cheer my heart out"

While the winning is great and NC's is the ultimate tam goal, I would watch even if we do not have all these records because the style they play with is so beautiful.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Man, in truth I've said this spiel any number of times to friends and relatives still immersed in men's BB. "Yes, UConn is the greatest team with the best coach in CBB, not just WCBB. But it's really about the young women who play it. Many boys enter CBB thinking they're going to play one year, go pro and make a million/billion dollars. They leave as forever boys. Women enter WCBB knowing there's no money in it. They play WCBB for 4 years because they love it. They play a mature game. They come out mature women with degrees who know the game better than men, with mature goals and ideals. That's why I only watch WCBB."

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
When you reply that you are, he asks, "Oh, uconn is a great program, isn't it?"

And now is your opportunity to drop your 30-second elevator pitch for uconn WBB. What do you say?
"Yes" or if I am feeling particularly verbose "we've had some success."

Reaction Score
I thought "everyone else combined" had only three perfect seasons -- Texas, Tennessee and Baylor one perfect season each. Which other two perfect seasons am I missing?

Reaction Score
Women enter WCBB knowing there's no money in it. They play WCBB for 4 years because they love it. They play a mature game. They come out mature women with degrees who know the game better than men, with mature goals and ideals. That's why I only watch WCBB."
Well said, Jordy!

Reaction Score
There are relatively few where excellence is routinely expected and achieved and UConn's program is well beyond that.

Reaction Score
Not only have they won 11 National Championships, but these women are great role models for our young girls. They represent their university better than any other athlete in any any sport at any school.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I thought "everyone else combined" had only three perfect seasons -- Texas, Tennessee and Baylor one perfect season each. Which other two perfect seasons am I missing?

Per Wikipedia: In the women’s game, the following national championship teams have had perfect records since the AIAW began sponsoring a championship tournament in 1972 (which was followed by the NCAA tournament in 1982):

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
"LouConn, Worth the Price of Admission."
Then get off on the 2nd floor and let it in sink in for the remaining 25 seconds. :cool:

Reaction Score
I almost experienced a scenario as described - it was the Big East Women's Tournament a number of years ago and as I enter the elevator at the Hilton, who do I see but Kim Barnes Arrico and three of her little kids dressed to go to the pool. It was the year she was selected co-coach of the year so I opined that congratulations were in order, and though I was a UConn fan I really appreciated the great job she did. Her little boy who was about three immediately responded " My mother will NEVER be a UConn fan !!" I didn't think it was the appropriate time to espouse our programs virtues !

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I could go on for more than 30 seconds and hold the door open to say more.

Or I could borrow from POTUS and say, "Yep, the best team in sports."

Or I could be terse, say "Yes," and smile for 29 more seconds.

I did actually have an elevator meeting with Ann Meyers in St. Louis at the 2001 Final Four. We were the only ones on the elevator. After staring for a bit and deciding to break the silence, I told her I was a UConn fan and asked her who she thought would win. She said she thought UConn would "three-peat," meaning 2002 as well. As we know, she was partly right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom