The UConn-Tennessee rivalry started with a phone call from an ESPN employee. | The Boneyard

The UConn-Tennessee rivalry started with a phone call from an ESPN employee.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
By LORI RILEY HARTFORD COURANT | JAN 22, 2020 | 6:25 PM

The UConn-Tennessee rivalry started with a phone call from an ESPN employee. Here’s how it played out.

In May of 1994, Carol Stiff made a phone call that changed the landscape of college women’s basketball.
Stiff, then a program planner for ESPN, was looking for a women’s game to be broadcast on Martin Luther King Day in 1995. Contractually, the network had to feature a Big East team, which had to be UConn. The Huskies had lost in the NCAA Tournament regional final in 1994 to North Carolina, which went on to win the national championship.

Reaction Score
By LORI RILEY HARTFORD COURANT | JAN 22, 2020 | 6:25 PM

The UConn-Tennessee rivalry started with a phone call from an ESPN employee. Here’s how it played out.

In May of 1994, Carol Stiff made a phone call that changed the landscape of college women’s basketball.
Stiff, then a program planner for ESPN, was looking for a women’s game to be broadcast on Martin Luther King Day in 1995. Contractually, the network had to feature a Big East team, which had to be UConn. The Huskies had lost in the NCAA Tournament regional final in 1994 to North Carolina, which went on to win the national championship.

I think it is time to give Pat Summitt her props.

Reaction Score
I think it is time to give Pat Summitt her props.

Pat has continually been given her props on the Boneyard, and deservedly so. But the Boneyard is also clear eyed on her entire legacy, and perhaps a little bit emotional about her attempt to smear UConn’s program. She was a helluva coach and an ambassador for the game, but she was no saint. Few of us are.

Reaction Score
Most on this board are pretty respectful of Summitt overall. I think even some of the less than complimentary posts about her recognize she made a valuable contribution to the game and helped both programs gain national exposure. No Pat wasn't a saint and I will always think she handled the situation with Maya Moore very poorly.

As a then young adult I didn't miss many of the games between these two giants and will watch again tonight. The landscape of the sport is very different now and I agree with others that it won't be the same even though Geno is still the coach. I think the Huskies win easily but I hope it's a good contest.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I agree most (if not all) UConn fans appreciate Pat. We just haven't canonized her. Even with that appreciation they are limits....

Reaction Score
It wasn't an easy game. UConn, led by Crystal early, and Aubrey and Anna late, played hard and managed to win. Don't know if I want to see UConn's shooting %.

Reaction Score
OK, UConn drew first blood. You can bet this loss leaves a bad taste in the LV’s mouths. TN will have next year’s game circled on the calendar when their schedule is released. They’ll want retribution, their fans will want Geno’s ass.
They already want Evina’s ass. Team will definitely need extra security next year in K-ville.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom