OT: - The UConn Team You Should Be Following | The Boneyard

OT: The UConn Team You Should Be Following

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
(Don't shoot the messenger no matter how annoying he is, because this is a damn important message)

I'm talking about the baseball team: home of UConn's only competent men's athletics head coach, the best potential pro prospects wearing a UConn jersey, and the premier program in the entire Northeastern United States.

Spurned from the NCAA tournament after putting up numbers that should've been more than enough to get them in, this year's squad -- picked to finish second in the AAC -- is back with a vengeance. The team is anchored by a pair of homegrown battery mates who both look primed to become household names across the country.

Junior lefthander Tim Cate of Manchester (Cheney Tech) has spent the past two summers on the prestigious USA Collegiate National Team, and struck out more batters than any other pitcher on their roster this past summer. Rocking a 3.5/1 K/BB ratio for his career at UConn, his stuff has attracted acclaim from top MLB talent evaluators. Baseball America currently ranks him as the 27th best draft prospect for this June's draft, the fifth best lefty, and the seventh best collegiate pitcher; this article (Cate Emerges As One of College's Best Lefthanders | BaseballAmerica.com) cites his curveball as "one of the best secondary pitches in this draft class."
His classmate, catcher Zac Susi of Southington, has shown the ability to hit for contact since arriving on campus. An all-star showing in the Cape Cod League, collegiate baseball's most elite summer league, has scouts anticipating a significant increase in power this coming year. Susi is penciled into the cleanup spot for today's opening day matchup with Kennesaw State, and looks to be a cornerstone of this year's lineup. Baseball America ranks Susi as the 197th best draft prospect (6th best collegiate catcher) in this class.

Underclass talent abounds on this team as well. Shortstop Anthony Prato, a starter from day one, was named a Freshman All-American and second team All-Conference last year despite battling nagging injuries, hitting .304 with 15 stolen bases and providing excellent defense. Slotting in at #2 in the rotation behind Cate, sophomore lefty Mason Feole matched Prato's Freshman All-American status, made the first team all-conference, and was the conference's rookie pitcher of the year. This gives the Huskies a Friday-Saturday punch that most teams across the entire country would be envious of. Feole is also ranked as one of the top twenty sophomore draft prospects in the country by Baseball America, and should follow in Cate's footsteps as a likely first-round pick in 2019.

Jim Penders has done an outstanding job with the program in many respects, but something he truly deserves acclaim for is his ability to corral and develop in-state talent. Aside from Cate and Susi, alumni of Holy Cross, Stafford, Amity, Newington, New Milford, Trinity Catholic, Bunnell, Trumbull and Wheeler HSs look poised to see playing time and contribute to the team this year, including 1B/OF Chris Winkel (Amity), swingman Ronnie Rossomando (Bunnell), and OF Troy Stefanski (Wheeler).

And you know what makes this team so much fun to follow? They're blue-collar players who exhibit toughness and grit whenever they're on the field. Yet they're also incredibly talented. These aren't just Diaco RKGs or Ferraris in the garage. Their marriage of skill and attitude is exactly what UConn athletics is about, and what fans who primarily follow the football and men's basketball teams have been sorely missing for years.

Their season is about to start in a few minutes. I invite you all to venture over to the Baseball and Olympic Sports Board (UConn Baseball and Olympic Sports), where you'll find a small but very knowledgeable community always looking for new voices (quick links: season thread UConn Baseball 2018 and thread for this weekend's series Opening Weekend in Georgia). Here's to a successful season that will feature some Huskies in the postseason.

Reaction Score
Yas.

The baseball board is populated by some good folks.

Y'all should come over and say hey.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Solid program with a great rep in MLB now. They get a lot of good mentions on SNY during Mets games.

I think that's because Gary Cohen used to (maybe still does?) call Seton Hall basketball games, so he's pretty familiar with the UConn program from the Big East days. He also definitely still calls NCAA Tournament games for Westwood One/Compass/whatever large media group has the tournament deal.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hockey is on right now on ESPN3
1-0 BU end of the 1st.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
home of UConn's only competent men's athletics head coach

Love the post but this statement IMO is plain ridiculous
But again, good write up of the team

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
home of UConn's only competent men's athletics head coach

Love the post but this statement IMO is plain ridiculous
But again, good write up of the team

Jury is out on Edsall. It stands otherwise.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Jury out on Edsall? If anything he's accomplished more than the baseball program could ever dream to.

I should have said that the jury is out on Edsall 2.0. Admittedly I wrote this post in a hurry and was more than unfair to him in the original writeup, which I apologize for. I'll go back and edit it.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
Nice thought, but as a surrogate for men’s basketball, baseball is easily several notches below women’s basketball. Probably somewhere between that and field hockey.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I should have said that the jury is out on Edsall 2.0. Admittedly I wrote this post in a hurry and was more than unfair to him in the original writeup, which I apologize for. I'll go back and edit it.

No need to apologize. I'm just an Dyed in the Wool Apologista. I couldn't help myself.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
How about hockey’s 7 game winning streak? Also drew nearly 8,000 folks tonight. Better than any game at Gampel outside of Cincy I’m pretty sure.

Looking forward to the baseball games in Hartford this year!

PS they lost their opener 7-3 today.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Jury is out on Edsall. It stands otherwise.

Jury out on Edsall? If anything he's accomplished more than the baseball program could ever dream to.

You jokers are unmarried and live in the greatest city in the world and on a Friday night... this is what you come up with?

Millenials. #sad

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
You jokers are unmarried and live in the greatest city in the world and on a Friday night... this is what you come up with?

Millenials. #sad

I got dragged on a shoe-shopping expedition in Midtown earlier this evening.

This is much-needed therapy.

Reaction Score
Hockey is what program people should be following or jumping on board the bandwagon. Baseball once the hockey season is over and home games start up in storrs/Hartford.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Baseball starts the year getting thumped by E Directional State and The likes. That and getting beat by CCSU and Hartford kills their resumé. Frankenconference is too good, you need to win early first against turds.

Reaction Score
I'm talking about the baseball team.
"UConn junior Maxim Letunov (Moscow, Russia) scored the game-winner 2:51 into overtime to cap a furious third period comeback to beat No. 20 nationally ranked Boston University, 5-4, Friday night in front of 7,372 at the XL Center.

The Huskies win their seventh-straight game, tying the school record for longest winning streak, set twice before (1998-99, 1999-00). During this winning streak, the Huskies have knocked off four ranked opponents (No.20 BU, No. 11 Northeastern, No. 16 Boston College, No. 10 Providence). UConn improves to 15-16-2 overall and 11-11-1 in Hockey East."

Reaction Score
Cavanaugh has things going right now. Quite an impressive run going. Hope he can carry it into next season. If Northeastern can be ranked, so can we.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Millenials. #sad

Lmao. Just saw this now. Even worse I was probably asleep by the time you replied.

My defense is a sick fiance. So single for not much longer dot dot dot

Reaction Score
I try to get up to Storrs every year for 1 or 2 baseball games. It is a relaxed atmosphere with no parking issues and you see a really good brand of baseball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom