The UConn of girl's high school basketball (My Opinion) | The Boneyard

The UConn of girl's high school basketball (My Opinion)

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Incarnate Word Academy, the school from which Napheesa Collier and Sonya Morris graduated, have won 83 games in a row. They were ranked number one by MaxPreps at the start of the season, continued to win and dropped to number seven. Why rank them number one in the first place if they are going to drop them even without losing a game? They won a tourney in Hawaii, one in Missouri, beat a Public League School from Chicago, Whitney Young, and just beat two of the top teams in Kentucky, including the top team in the state, number 12 ranked Louisville Sacred Heart Academy in the Louisville Mercy Academy Classic. Sacred Heart is the two-time defending Kentucky state champion. They won both games by twelve points. If they win the State Championship this season it will be their thirteenth, a state record. They are led by Nebraska signee, Natalie Potts, a top 50 player. A number of BYers live in states that have more High School AAs and nationally ranked teams in one year than Saint Louis has in four to five years. So, I am beating the drum for Saint Louis girl's high school basketball. This is a special team. They win many of their games by anywhere from thirty to fifty points. I just wish I could see some of the teams you all see on a regular basis.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Incarnate Word Academy, the school from which Napheesa Collier and Sonya Morris graduated, have won 83 games in a row. They were ranked number one by MaxPreps at the start of the season, continued to win and dropped to number seven. Why rank them number one in the first place if they are going to drop them even without losing a game? They won a tourney in Hawaii, one in Missouri, beat a Public League School from Chicago, Whitney Young, and just beat two of the top teams in Kentucky, including the top team in the state, number 12 ranked Louisville Sacred Heart Academy in the Louisville Mercy Academy Classic. Sacred Heart is the two-time defending Kentucky state champion. They won both games by twelve points. If they win the State Championship this season it will be their thirteenth, a state record. They are led by Nebraska signee, Natalie Potts, a top 50 player. A number of BYers live in states that have more High School AAs and nationally ranked teams in one year than Saint Louis has in four to five years. So, I am beating the drum for Saint Louis girl's high school basketball. This is a special team. They win many of their games by anywhere from thirty to fifty points. I just wish I could see some of the teams you all see on a regular basis.
The answer to your question is simple.................perception. The people that rank these schools think that other programs are simply better than Incarnate Word. That may not be the case, but THEY think so. How do you fall in the rankings if you don't lose a game, and continue to win games against other top ranked schools in the country? The funny thing is most of the people that vote or compose these rankings NEVER see any of the top teams play in person. :eek: I feel you Don.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Hopkins HS

I think the team in Paige's senior season had at least 7 or 8 future Division 1 players, including UConn, Arizona, Stanford, and Minnesota.

Reaction Score
Strength of schedule would play a very large factor. Pre-season rankings kinda go by the wayside once the season starts. A school beating unranked opponents by 30-50 points usually indicates weak competition. Whereas a school in a highly rated conference, and also playing other top-ranked teams throughout the season is generally going to be looked upon more favorably.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Strength of schedule would play a very large factor. Pre-season rankings kinda go by the wayside once the season starts. A school beating unranked opponents by 30-50 points usually indicates weak competition. Whereas a school in a highly rated conference, and also playing other top-ranked teams throughout the season is generally going to be looked upon more favorably.
I would think that before ranking a team it's schedule should be examined. Incarnate plays a national schedule. However, they do not play as many top 50 teams as some do. Incarnate beat even the top 50 teams by double figures. I wondered why they were ranked as high as number one because I know their schedule is not as strong as teams like Sidwell Friends, etc. Did Hopkins win 83 successive games? Did Mater Dei? Anyway, I did noy state Incarnate Word was the only team to do so, just that they have a UConn like winning streak going at this time.

Reaction Score
I would think that before ranking a team it's schedule should be examined. Incarnate plays a national schedule. However, they do not play as many top 50 teams as some do. Incarnate beat even the top 50 teams by double figures. I wondered why they were ranked as high as number one because I know their schedule is not as strong as teams like Sidwell Friends, etc. Did Hopkins win 83 successive games? Did Mater Dei? Anyway, I did noy state Incarnate Word was the only team to do so, just that they have a UConn like winning streak going at this time.
Hey, no offense was intended. I simply offered you a reasonable explanation for their downward ranking.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom