The UConn Huskies Have a SERIOUS PROBLEM | The Boneyard

The UConn Huskies Have a SERIOUS PROBLEM

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
The title is misleading, but this is a good YouTube analysis. The anaalyst believes UConn's biggest problem is rebounding, with defense also being a concern. The video is worth a watch and discussion.

And there is an interesting observation from a Gamecock fan. His bullet points ( takeaways from the game):
So, Gamecock fan here, and here were some of my notes on UConn for the game:
1. Beuckers is the real deal and looks every bit as good as last year.
2. UConn's running game can be devastating. They're every bit as fast as the Cocks.
3. Outside of Beuckers, I didn't see anyone UConn could really count on offensively.
4. UConn's bigs are very good. Carolina's are great.
5. Carolina has significantly more depth, and I say that even though their best recruit is out of the season, and it was the depth, IMO, which beat UConn today. Carolina was regularly able to rest everyone on the team without really missing a beat, whereas UConn gave major time to only 7 players, and frankly, by the 4th quarter, even Beuckers looked spent.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The title is misleading, but this is a good YouTube analysis. The anaalyst believes UConn's biggest problem is rebounding, with defense also being a concern. The video is worth a watch and discussion.

And there is an interesting observation from a Gamecock fan. His bullet points ( takeaways from the game):
2. UConn's running game can be devastating. They're every bit as fast as the Cocks.
3. Outside of Beuckers, I didn't see anyone UConn could really count on offensively.
5. Carolina has significantly more depth, and I say that even though their best recruit is out of the season, and it was the depth, IMO, which beat UConn today. Carolina was regularly able to rest everyone on the team without really missing a beat, whereas UConn gave major time to only 7 players, and frankly, by the 4th quarter, even Beuckers looked spent.

I agree with Point 1. Paige is outstanding.

Point 2 should not be a surprise. We are usually the best fast break team in the nation. What's new is that S.C. can match us.

Point 3 was the case on Monday. Hopefully that will change with Christyn, Evina, and Azzi.

Regarding Point 4, Boston is great. I wouldn't put Saxton, Amihere, Cardoso, or Feagin in that category as of now.

Point 5 seems to be the case, thought it's not from SC's freshman class. We have more apparent depth on paper than real depth, sadly. Hopefully, that will change too.

Reaction Score
I agree with Point 1. Paige is outstanding.

Point 2 should not be a surprise. We are usually the best fast break team in the nation. What's new is that S.C. can match us.

Point 3 was the case on Monday. Hopefully that will change with Christyn, Evina, and Azzi.

Regarding Point 4, Boston is great. I wouldn't put Saxton, Amihere, Cardoso, or Feagin in that category as of now.

Point 5 seems to be the case, thought it's not from SC's freshman class. We have more apparent depth on paper than real depth, sadly. Hopefully, that will change too.
We have a lot of depth, without a lot of experience ! Please, give us time.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Very good analysis. One good point is our starters need a rest and replacing them with freshman and a transfer who dont know UConns system yet is part of the problem. This is why for right now I like alot more of zone defense. We built a big lead in the first and second qtr when we played zone. Man to man we got beat for alot of reasons one of which is quick guards hurt us. In a zone the guards arent penetrating and it give us more time to box out and get more rebounds. The coaching staff should be able to work this out.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I apologize that my post was misleading. It contains two separate analyses: The video, which lists our problems as rebounding and defense, and a separate analysis from an SC fan, which was a response on the Youtube video. I believe both are excellent.

My takeaway from the video is, we need to see UConn outrebound their opponents, especially on the offensive boards. Let's keep an eye on those stats in the next few games, and not just whether we win or lose.

Reaction Score

Number 4. Uconn has good post, USC posts are great. I may have agreed with that once. But I believe USC posts played against Uconn forwards out of position playing post. The last true posts that I remember Uconn having were Stokes and Dolson. Dorka--advertised as a post, plays as a roaming wing at times hitting the basket sometines. Poor ONO, as great as she is in what she is forced to do, when she moves to the WNBA she'll be a forward. If the 2 6ft 5's on the bench can hold their ground, not lose a pass, pass when doubled, move their feet a bit --repeat not be pushed off of position, make a layup. Give them some opportunity to fail. Failure often is the key to success. But success is in defeating bigger faster teams,, not the ACC or BE bottom 8
CW, Azzi, are terrific guards, excellent scorers. At times when the top scorer is held in check-, others are taken out of the game.
I truly believe for this ONE game, this early on, USC was the better. In late march if a match happens the results will be much different, with Evina, CW, Paige, ONO, Edwards, Azzi, Caroline, Dorka, Nika, Griffin physically and mentally prepared

Reaction Score

On BBallF's thread he creates a thread prior to every game in which he asks what are 3 most things you want to see - I've posted s the 1st 3 is - -- 1- Azzi Play Great -2 Dorka play great 3- Evina play great.

In regards to Evina- she shoots great vs SC yet only takes 6 shots? “As of this moment” she is a reluctant scorer and CWill is an erratic shooter. In regards to Azzi – I’m hopeful she can be that elite scorer next to Paige. SO each game I want to see UCONN try hard to set her up in the flow of the offense – in the flow of the game. And to a degree I also want that from Evina. Thus I want to see our 3 bigs (and Griff) set pick after pick after pick after pick. Just like we heard Paige had to run through vs USF – do the same for Paige, Azzi and Evina. That will alleviate the concern above in bold.

There were some posts on another thread I think making mention of “Dirt Dogs.” Weill imo to some extent CWill is a Dirt Dog. As is Griff, as is Edwards. And to me Dorka can be. So as mentioned above – yes UCONN’s bigs can be good. They will be at their best setting up the guards with picks and rolling to the basket (it doesn’t have to be a layup when you hit them on a roll). This is just one example of which I’m sure Geno has “50” others.

**But with that said—I’ve always been in favor of playing your stars. I prefer 7-9 players. So for me I am never bummed out watching UCONN play their top players late in games. The way I see it- you want to run that offense over and over and over and over – so for someone like Dorka as an example- next game vs a top tier team she won’t have no assists vs. 5 turnovers. Give her (and Edwards and Liv) significant time “to play alongside Paige Bueckers,” turning your offense into a well oiled machine. While simultaneously working with Azzi to help her on defense if need be. This imo is much more valued time than playing number 11-12 on the bench that much.

Reaction Score
Good points but SC played a couple more games then UConn and 2. It’s still early in the season so until March we still have a chance to get better and I do believe we have much better and skill players. I just think lately Geno been out coached by Dawn

Reaction Score
Very good analysis. One good point is our starters need a rest and replacing them with freshman and a transfer who dont know UConns system yet is part of the problem. This is why for right now I like alot more of zone defense. We built a big lead in the first and second qtr when we played zone. Man to man we got beat for alot of reasons one of which is quick guards hurt us. In a zone the guards arent penetrating and it give us more time to box out and get more rebounds. The coaching staff should be able to work this out.
I'm not sure how much of basketball experience you have but zone usually leads to more offensive rebounds. Reason being is that with man to man you have a dedicated box out. With zone you are boxing out a zone and not really feeling a body. That is what multiple hall of fame coaches have told me personally.

Reaction Score
Geno recruits great players then he doesn't let them play in games so they can gain the experience needed to help UCONN win when our post players are in foul trouble or need a rest. We have two 6'5 players on the bench that haven't seen any playing time this year.

Reaction Score
Geno recruits great players then he doesn't let them play in games so they can gain the experience needed to help UCONN win when our post players are in foul trouble or need a rest. We have two 6'5 players on the bench that haven't seen any playing time this year.
Who says the "bigs" players on the bench are great? You know they are great?

Reaction Score

Not so Fast Carolina was getting ran off the floor after Zia Cooke got into foul trouble it wasn't the depth of SC that won the game it was the competitive fire of Cooke and Boston a Junior and a senior that won the game for them our seniors did not meet the challenge or as CW said we got punched and din't punch back. let's wait until the rematch when Aubrey should be back and or depth (freshmen) have more experience. we may or may not win we'll definitely score more than 3 points in the 4th quarter in the rematch but, SC is the better team with more competitive player our players are good but only Paige is super competitive

Reaction Score
The only serious problem the Huskies have is a fan base that can not accept the fact that there are other very good teams in NCAA WBB and the Huskies will lose occasionally.
My thoughts too... it is soooooo early in the season...so many more games to be played. I keep checking the sky around where I live... and nope... it's not falling. ;) :cool:

Reaction Score
I'm not sure how much of basketball experience you have but zone usually leads to more offensive rebounds. Reason being is that with man to man you have a dedicated box out. With zone you are boxing out a zone and not really feeling a body. That is what multiple hall of fame coaches have told me personally.
Go back to last year and late in the year and throughout playoffs, UConn went to an effective match up zone that doubled the wing and prevented the type of passes and drives that are an issue today. The current team is average at best playing one on one defense but very good at guarding lanes and anticipating passes. I am less concerned with UConn giving up offensive rebounds than multiple 3's and hard drives that result in layups (and often result in fouls).

Reaction Score
Number 4. Uconn has good post, USC posts are great. I may have agreed with that once. But I believe USC posts played against Uconn forwards out of position playing post. The last true posts that I remember Uconn having were Stokes and Dolson. Dorka--advertised as a post, plays as a roaming wing at times hitting the basket sometines. Poor ONO, as great as she is in what she is forced to do, when she moves to the WNBA she'll be a forward. If the 2 6ft 5's on the bench can hold their ground, not lose a pass, pass when doubled, move their feet a bit --repeat not be pushed off of position, make a layup. Give them some opportunity to fail. Failure often is the key to success. But success is in defeating bigger faster teams,, not the ACC or BE bottom 8
CW, Azzi, are terrific guards, excellent scorers. At times when the top scorer is held in check-, others are taken out of the game.
I truly believe for this ONE game, this early on, USC was the better. In late march if a match happens the results will be much different, with Evina, CW, Paige, ONO, Edwards, Azzi, Caroline, Dorka, Nika, Griffin physically and mentally prepared
Stewie and Tuck may not have been true posts, but there were none that they couldn't handle.

Reaction Score
Very good analysis. One good point is our starters need a rest and replacing them with freshman and a transfer who dont know UConns system yet is part of the problem.
But you can replace them with someone with experience too. For example, if Paige goes out for 5 minutes to get a rest, put Nika in to run the offense. Are we supposed to believe that they can't figure out how to get a shot, or Geno isn't teaching offensive plays, so that with Azzi, Caroline, Christyn, Aliyah etc there won't be any offense?

If that's the case, then the sooner they are forced to generate offense without Paige the better. They'll be more confident & will contribute offensively when Paige is in the game as well.

Reaction Score
Who says the "bigs" players on the bench are great? You know they are great?
Even if the bigs on the bench are just good players they should be given the opportunity to gain experience so that they would be able to help UCONN in future games.

Reaction Score
Nice video and solid breakdown but way too much overreacting for me. For one, the rebounding argument. Four games in and we are being out rebounded, totally by only 4; 128-132. Plenty of games to play and I am sure once we get into Big East play, there will be games were rebounding will not be a problem. One issue that I do have and I am sure that the coaching staff and the players are working on and it takes time, is the offensive rhythm and flow. It was clear during that South Carolina game during that last 2-3 possessions on the offensive end, our players were out of sync. Once the players figure out each other's patterns and where they like the ball in certain spots, this team is going to be off and running! Just gotta get that offensive rhythm down.

Reaction Score
I don't see Liv having a WNBA career for that long. UConn will not win the NC with what she is doing along with the other post. UConn is no better than last year right now.

Reaction Score
Even if the bigs on the bench are just good players they should be given the opportunity to gain experience so that they would be able to help UCONN in future games.

What makes you think they are "good" vs the other players that Geno is playing?

Why can't the current players that played help UCONN in future games if you give some of them more minutes? We haven't played up to expectations. So how does not giving for example Dorka and Edwards more minutes help them in the future? Punishment after 3-4 games?

Reaction Score
But you can replace them with someone with experience too. For example, if Paige goes out for 5 minutes to get a rest, put Nika in to run the offense. Are we supposed to believe that they can't figure out how to get a shot, or Geno isn't teaching offensive plays, so that with Azzi, Caroline, Christyn, Aliyah etc there won't be any offense?

If that's the case, then the sooner they are forced to generate offense without Paige the better. They'll be more confident & will contribute offensively when Paige is in the game as well.
Not saying whether Geno should or should not take out Paige, and maybe - he should. But . . . he has played her 40 minutes and over that before, and she's been very successful, right? Maybe - he should. But . . .

Maybe in this case - tip your cap to the better team on that given night?

Reaction Score
I don't see Liv having a WNBA career for that long. UConn will not win the NC with what she is doing along with the other post. UConn is no better than last year right now.
Winning the NC, has been for UConn some years, a luck of the Draw. At this point it is difficult to imagine who Uconn will actually be matched with. Until then we can only hope the WHOLE team is ready and plays well in March or April. You probably are right about a lengthy WNBA career for Olivia. Just being in the WNBA, being extremely presentable, speaks well, could lead to great other careers for her. To me the WNBA isn't a great career for a college grad. That is why I sometimes wonder why top talent goes to Duke or Stanford I guess the obvious answer is they aren't thinking WNBA???

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom