The Trend Has Nicely Reversed | The Boneyard

The Trend Has Nicely Reversed

Reaction Score
As the regular season was winding down, UConn's history of improving down the stretch in anticipation of postseason play didn't seem to be replicated. Although UConn went 8-2 in their last 10 games, they weren't passing the eye test. I admit to having doubts whether the team could recapture the intensity and style of play from earlier in the season. Add in the continual unknown of who is available to play on a game-by-game basis contributed to the uneasy feelings.

Fast forward to the Big East tournament and how quickly those fears have evaporated. There are a couple of reasons why I feel confident the trend is positive:

Aaliyah recovered her early season form.
Nike was pushing the tempo, making the correct pass instead of forcing the "great" pass.
The team defense was dialed up, making it extremely hard for the other teams to execute on offense.
Spacing, offensive execution, protecting the ball, backdoor cuts, cutting down on turnovers were a point of focus.
Having and CD available made more of an impact on the team rather than the outcome. This bodes well for the future because we know they are capable of much more.
A rotation of 7 players provides Geno with more in-game options.

Looking ahead, If Baylor is the likely opponent in the 2nd round, this is a team that is eyeing the Final Four should defeat. This Baylor team is good, but not to be confused with the team UConn beat in an Elite Eight classic two years ago.

In the Sweet 16 game, OSU is the projected opponent. Like UConn, Ohio State has missed their best player for the majority of the season. Jack Sheldon creates space for Taylor Mikesell in a similar way that Azzi creates space for Lou. Of course, the concern playing OSU is their press. The comeback win against Indiana showed how devastating their press can be. However, IU played into their hands, inbounding the ball into the corner, letting the OS players set up their traps. In the championship game, Iowa attacked their press, pushing the ball, looking to score instead of merely trying to get the ball past mid-court ahead of the 10-second count.Other than the press, UConn matches up well against OS.

If Va Tech reaches the Elite Eight game, it is essentially a repeat of last year's game vs NC St. Of course, there will be no Paige heroics, but I don't think they'll be required. Dorka should offset Liz Kitley and Nika and Aubrey should do the same with Amoore and Soule. Va Tech has no answer for Aaliyah and I expect The Fudd show to be in full form by then.

Then, another Final Four!

Last edited:

sun

Reaction Score
North Carolina is ranked much higher defensively than Ohio State, #14 vs #55 by Massey.
NC beat Notre Dame by 10 points, and Duke twice, while only losing to Duke the 3rd time by 4 points 44 - 40.
NC beat NC State the 1st time & lost to them in OT the 2nd time.
And NC lost to VT twice by only 3 points & 2 points respectively.
I wouldn't bet on Ohio State beating North Carolina if they play, that would seem to be more of a toss up game depending on which team shows up.
I have no faith in Ohio State at all.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Baylor I think will be a tough game for us, if Baylor beats Alabama. A smaller team, plays physical defense and has a couple of players that can get hot from outside. We should win that game but has the makings of a grind it out game that will be close and low scoring. They remind me a lot of Marquette and St Johns.

Reaction Score
Whoa now, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Now more than ever it is one game at a time. No team should be overlooked, weird **** has been known to happen during the tournament & after the season UConn has just finished nothing should be taken for granted.

Reaction Score
Two things can derail UCONN this tournament, foul trouble or and injury. If they stay healthy and continue to play defense like they did in the BET without getting into foul trouble they are a tough team to match up with. You need a post with size and weight plus another tall person to deal with Dorka. You need to defend two fantastic shooters with another coming off the bench. Then you have Nika, she will not let this team fall flat and she will defend.

UCONN has all the weapons and a coach who has a little chip on his shoulders about the seeding respect or lack there of for his team. The only team UCONN has to play above its head to win will be a match up with SC and that would be in the final. Geno looks comfortable with the team he has now and that will not bode will for the challengers

Reaction Score
Whoa now, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Now more than ever it is one game at a time.
That’s good advice for the team. They absolutely should focus on “the next game.” But for fans it’s the opposite. We should always look ahead, we should imagine the goal and how we’ll get there. That’s the essential privilege of being a fan.

Reaction Score
That’s good advice for the team. They absolutely should focus on “the next game.” But for fans it’s the opposite. We should always look ahead, we should imagine the goal and how we’ll get there. That’s the essential privilege of being a fan.
OK
But make sure you don’t doom them

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom