The Traveling Epidemic | The Boneyard

The Traveling Epidemic

Reaction Score
Ok, I haven't seen this posted yet, so if someone else has posted on this I apologize. One complaint I have this year with college bball as a whole (and the AAC seems to be even worse than other leagues) is the number of non-travels called a travel. The officials are so quick to blow the whistle whenever someone either pump fakes without leaving their feet followed by DRIBBLING (not a travel). It also seems that the officials don't know what a pivot foot is. Point being, these incorrect travel calls need to stop. It makes the game almost unwatchable. I can't tell you the number of times I've screamed at my tv this year "THAT'S NOT A TRAVEL!!!". I've watched a lot of other games besides Uconn and have seen similar calls. Purvis, Adams and Facey seem to take the brunt of these calls on our team.

Reaction Score
I can't even stand to watch college basketball anymore, except for the UConn games. Officiating over the last 4-5 years has been significantly hurting the product. I think this has been happening to the casual fan as well. It is funny though how officiating in the NBA and collegiate game is vastly different. Traveling is exhibit A.

Reaction Score
Ok, I haven't seen this posted yet, so if someone else has posted on this I apologize. One complaint I have this year with college bball as a whole (and the AAC seems to be even worse than other leagues) is the number of non-travels called a travel. The officials are so quick to blow the whistle whenever someone either pump fakes without leaving their feet followed by DRIBBLING (not a travel). It also seems that the officials don't know what a pivot foot is. Point being, these incorrect travel calls need to stop. It makes the game almost unwatchable. I can't tell you the number of times I've screamed at my tv this year "THAT'S NOT A TRAVEL!!!". I've watched a lot of other games besides Uconn and have seen similar calls. Purvis, Adams and Facey seem to take the brunt of these calls on our team.

And when there is a travel they don't call it, like on that pass to the guy Rodney fouled for the +1 who was cutting to the basket. The passer took 4 steps before dumping that off.

Reaction Score
I can't even stand to watch college basketball anymore, except for the UConn games. Officiating over the last 4-5 years has been significantly hurting the product. I think this has been happening to the casual fan as well. It is funny though how officiating in the NBA and collegiate game is vastly different. Traveling is exhibit A.

The NBA can take 4-5 steps the college game 3, or 2-3 pivot feet LOL

They are awful, but funny thing is they are all consistently awful for the most part. The trend is bad, but it's pretty much everywhere.

Reaction Score
I definitely have noticed it when our bigs receive the ball and attemp any move that involves a pump fake. I'm sure we are not the only team victimized by this type of officiating. I yelled at the TV yesterday after a travel was called on Enoch or Facey...can't remember which.

Reaction Score
I definitely have noticed it when our bigs receive the ball and attemp any move that involves a pump fake. I'm sure we are not the only team victimized by this type of officiating. I yelled at the TV yesterday after a travel was called on Enoch or Facey...can't remember which.

Yeah it's funny they call travels that don't exist and miss the most obvious, it's bizarre how awful they have become. The good news is they're a lot better than the womens referees who are basically clueless about a travel, a charge or the game itself.:eek:

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The NBA can take 4-5 steps the college game 3, or 2-3 pivot feet LOL

They are awful, but funny thing is they are all consistently awful for the most part. The trend is bad, but it's pretty much everywhere.

The best part is when the 5th step happens, and the announcer is forced to say something silly like, "Euro-step?" :confused:

Reaction Score
The best part is when the 5th step happens, and the announcer is forced to say something silly like, "Euro-step?" :confused:
I can't remember where I heard it (it may have even been in yesterday's broadcast). The announcer had gotten a quote from an official about traveling and it was something to the effect of "Guys need to slow down, they try making moves too fast which leads to more travel calls". I can't help but laugh because the whole time I'm thinking the officials need to get their heads out of their @es and WATCH the play.
It also reminds me of the 85 year old woman who lived down the street from me who used to scream at cars driving 20 mph past her house because they were driving too fast in her opinion.

Reaction Score
I can't remember where I heard it (it may have even been in yesterday's broadcast). The announcer had gotten a quote from an official about traveling and it was something to the effect of "Guys need to slow down, they try making moves too fast which leads to more travel calls". I can't help but laugh because the whole time I'm thinking the officials need to get their heads out of their @ es and WATCH the play.
It also reminds me of the 85 year old woman who lived down the street from me who used to scream at cars driving 20 mph past her house because they were driving too fast in her opinion.

Funny to hear a ref talk like that it looks to me as if 90% of them never played the game and are video/book trained.

Reaction Score
It has become like a catch in the NFL. No one is quite sure what a travel is or isn't. I see 2 missed travels every game, and one called that wasn't. Funny thing, rarely do the coaches or players even complain. I really believe none of them know what is or isn't a violation.

Reaction Score
It has become like a catch in the NFL. No one is quite sure what a travel is or isn't. I see 2 missed travels every game, and one called that wasn't. Funny thing, rarely do the coaches or players even complain. I really believe none of them know what is or isn't a violation.
Interesting/Excellent correlation. I've complained about the strictness of NFL completion rules when the ground or the sidelines are in play. It's like a receiver needs to catch the ball and walk it back to the huddle before it's ruled a completion. The travel calls against bigs are almost the same thing. It's like the refs really can't see what's going on with the big's feet. So they err on the side of caution and call everything a travel.

Reaction Score
1 1/2 steps college, 2 1/2 steps NBA is what it's been. The bigs shuffle their feet and it's an easy call. We seem to travel more than our opponents and even though Rodney is playing well now he has walking disease that rears it's ugly head now and then. Brimah travels. There is no cure. I agree though that the refs get it wrong sometimes because it's in the eye of the beholder, and one or two of those can change the outcome of a game.

Reaction Score
Basic Rule
"The basic concept of traveling is based on the “pivot foot.” Once a player receives the ball or picks up his dribble, he is allowed to move one foot, while the other foot has to remain on the floor as a pivot foot. This foot is allowed to rotate, as long as the ball of the foot remains on the floor at all times. A travel occurs when the player lifts the pivot foot and then returns it to the floor before releasing the ball on a pass or a shot. For instance, if a player receives a pass and jumps with both feet to attempt a shot and returns to floor without shooting, it is considered a travel."

Found this explanation above of travel. Seems like what I see is player lifts pivot foot and then dribbles before returning the pivot foot to the ground is being called travel. That is not covered above as only talks about "releasing the ball on a pass or a shot". Additionally found the following:

"If the player picks up this pivot foot prior to releasing the basketball for a dribble, he has committed a traveling violation."

So if both statements above are correct it makes a difference as between what you do next when you lift your pivot foot:
1. If you next pass or shoot you can lift your pivot foot 1st as long as you finish your pass/shot before you return your pivot foot to ground.
2. If you next dribble you must RELEASE the basketball BEFORE you lift your pivot foot.

My mistaken understanding (if above quotes are correct) is that I assumed lifting the pivot foot rule was the same for next moves being shoot-pass-or dribble, where seems like for dribbling is much more restrictive. Think I yelled at a few refs incorrectly if above distinction is true as relates to traveling calls being correct when player STARTS to dribble and LIFTS pivot foot BEFORE releasing the ball.

Reaction Score
Basic Rule
"The basic concept of traveling is based on the “pivot foot.” Once a player receives the ball or picks up his dribble, he is allowed to move one foot, while the other foot has to remain on the floor as a pivot foot. This foot is allowed to rotate, as long as the ball of the foot remains on the floor at all times. A travel occurs when the player lifts the pivot foot and then returns it to the floor before releasing the ball on a pass or a shot. For instance, if a player receives a pass and jumps with both feet to attempt a shot and returns to floor without shooting, it is considered a travel."

Found this explanation above of travel. Seems like what I see is player lifts pivot foot and then dribbles before returning the pivot foot to the ground is being called travel. That is not covered above as only talks about "releasing the ball on a pass or a shot". Additionally found the following:

"If the player picks up this pivot foot prior to releasing the basketball for a dribble, he has committed a traveling violation."

So if both statements above are correct it makes a difference as between what you do next when you lift your pivot foot:
1. If you next pass or shoot you can lift your pivot foot 1st as long as you finish your pass/shot before you return your pivot foot to ground.
2. If you next dribble you must RELEASE the basketball BEFORE you lift your pivot foot.

My mistaken understanding (if above quotes are correct) is that I assumed lifting the pivot foot rule was the same for next moves being shoot-pass-or dribble, where seems like for dribbling is much more restrictive. Think I yelled at a few refs incorrectly if above distinction is true as relates to traveling calls being correct when player STARTS to dribble and LIFTS pivot foot BEFORE releasing the ball.
This is exactly what I imagine is going through the refs mind when he's watching our bigs pivot...a confused internal discussion on what a travel actually is.

Reaction Score
In the college game at this level you expect a travel now and then but aside from Brimah, the idea that certain of our players who have been instructed since 6th grade still travel a lot is nuts. Rodney is a 5th year senior and has had 12 years of travel tutoring. The question looms, what is an acceptable number per game for a team?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom