The Transformation of Z | The Boneyard

The Transformation of Z

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In yesterday’s game UConn came out flat. Against a much taller SMU team, the Huskies were missing shots, being rejected inside and getting outrebounded. About halfway through the 1st qtr Geno put Z in the game and the entire complexion of the game changed almost immediately.

Z pulled down rebounds at both ends, blocked and/or intimidated shots, made several great passes and scored repeatedly as UConn went on a 43-0 run, while also outscoring SMU during the 2nd qtr by an incredible 32-1. Certainly, it was a team effort as Lou continues to play like the NPOY, and Kia, Pheesa, Gabby, Crystal and MW all got in on the action.

IMO, the most impressive aspect of that remarkable run by UConn was that Z played like a dominant post player. She displayed an array of low post moves including a spin move down in the blocks and a jump hook from the lane that she executed perfectly. On defense, she acted as if she owned the paint.

When Z showed up in Storrs from Duke 2 years ago, she was an incredibly skilled 6’6” wing who mostly hung around on the outside on offense and sat back in a zone on defense. What is happening before our very eyes is the amazing transformation of Z from an athletic wing to a dominant, athletic post.

A great deal of credit for Z’s development belongs to CD, who must be working overtime on the transformation. But Z gets the most credit for her willingness to embrace the challenge of changing her game for the good of the team.

If Z continues to develop and play like she did yesterday UConn is virtually unbeatable this season. With all indications being that Z will return to Storrs next year as a red shirt senior, the sky’s the limit.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
As I had mentioned in another thread, I was also impressed with a number of mid range shots that she shot with confidence and she did not get caught hovering around the 3pt line where she would get into those indecision moments and throw up a three without rhythm.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As I had mentioned in another thread, I was also impressed with a number of mid range shots that she shot with confidence and she did not get caught hovering around the 3pt line where she would get into those indecision moments and throw up a three without rhythm.
When we think of dominant post players in WBB, we think of Brown, McGowan and Wilson, all of whom are big, strong players with limited range and mobility. Wilson is the most athletic of the bunch, but the further she gets away from the basket, the more limited she becomes.

With Z's ability to put the ball on the floor and pull up and knock down 15 ft jumpers, she is incredibly difficult to defend. If she ever gets her 3-pt shot back Z will be impossible to defend.

Reaction Score
A lot of BY sentiments over the last month or so: "Oh no, Geno is not being fair to Z and Meg. He should just let them play and do what they are most comfortable with. He's a bully!"
We can all see Z emerging as a serious cog in the success of the team. A key performer! (knock on wood) She's not wandering around out of position as much anymore. She's in positions that help the UConn team and I would argue her own individual success as well.
How worried are we about UConn's scoring next year with Z, Lou, and Pheesa....Crystal, Meg?

Reaction Score
In yesterday’s game UConn came out flat. Against a much taller SMU team, the Huskies were missing shots, being rejected inside and getting outrebounded. About halfway through the 1st qtr Geno put Z in the game and the entire complexion of the game changed almost immediately.

Z pulled down rebounds at both ends, blocked and/or intimidated shots, made several great passes and scored repeatedly as UConn went on a 43-0 run, while also outscoring SMU during the 2nd qtr by an incredible 32-1. Certainly, it was a team effort as Lou continues to play like the NPOY, and Kia, Pheesa, Gabby, Crystal and MW all got in on the action.

IMO, the most impressive aspect of that remarkable run by UConn was that Z played like a dominant post player. She displayed an array of low post moves including a spin move down in the blocks and a jump hook from the lane that she executed perfectly. On defense, she acted as if she owned the paint.

When Z showed up in Storrs from Duke 2 years ago, she was an incredibly skilled 6’6” wing who mostly hung around on the outside on offense and sat back in a zone on defense. What is happening before our very eyes is the amazing transformation of Z from an athletic wing to a dominant, athletic post.

A great deal of credit for Z’s development belongs to CD, who must be working overtime on the transformation. But Z gets the most credit for her willingness to embrace the challenge of changing her game for the good of the team.

If Z continues to develop and play like she did yesterday UConn is virtually unbeatable this season. With all indications being that Z will return to Storrs next year as a red shirt senior, the sky’s the limit.
Was at SMU yesterday and super impressed with Z. You summarized the situation well-she came into game when UConn was struggling and played a major role in their 43-0 run. Loved her offensive moves but most impressed with the dirty work she did against the two physical 6'5" players that were moving people out of the way. After Z can in, the SMU offensive rebounds stopped and the layups they were getting over Gabby stopped as well. Even put up several jump hooks over the SMU bigs - never seen this move before.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Z, in addition to her offensive skills, showed some physical toughness on defense. One of SMU's big tried backing down to the low post to get position for an easy bucket. Z would have none of it. She successfully used her body and her forearm to hold her position. This happened a couple of times. Message was sent.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A lot of BY sentiments over the last month or so: "Oh no, Geno is not being fair to Z and Meg. He should just let them play and do what they are most comfortable with. He's a bully!"
We can all see Z emerging as a serious cog in the success of the team. A key performer! (knock on wood) She's not wandering around out of position as much anymore. She's in positions that help the UConn team and I would argue her own individual success as well.
How worried are we about UConn's scoring next year with Z, Lou, and Pheesa....Crystal, Meg?
The point you make about Z’s own individual success is well taken. One of the clear reasons that Z left Duke to attend UConn was her express intent to develop her game for the next level. Both UConn and Z are keeping their end of the bargain as Z could well be on her way to being the #1 pick in the WNBA draft in a little over a year.

Reaction Score
Azura played great yesterday against some very average competition............the real test will come when she gets into the big tournament against more talented posts...........if I'm not mistaken, many here complained that she didn't always show up in big games this year..............let's hope that the Z from yesterday makes an extended appearance in March/April...........

Reaction Score
Azura played great yesterday against some very average competition..the real test will come when she gets into the big tournament against more talented posts......if I'm not mistaken, many here complained that she didn't always show up in big games this year....let's hope that the Z from yesterday makes an extended appearance in March/April......
Good one!
However, would we be 27-1 without Z's contribution against ND?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Azura played great yesterday against some very average competition..the real test will come when she gets into the big tournament against more talented posts......if I'm not mistaken, many here complained that she didn't always show up in big games this year....let's hope that the Z from yesterday makes an extended appearance in March/April......
No doubt that if UConn faces MS St, Baylor or SC again, Z will have a far greater challenge than yesterday vs SMU. But what continues to impress me is how quickly she seems to be developing an arsenal of skills to be able to meet those challenges.

Z executed a couple of post moves yesterday that I just had not seen before. On defense she’s learned to brace big posts with her long legs to keep them from backing her down under the basket. She’s also learning how to play tough defense without fouling.

The pace at which Z is transforming her game is a testiment to her skill, work ethic and commitment.

Reaction Score
Good one!
However, would we be 27-1 without Z's contribution against ND?

The word is inconsistency........here's the good and the not so good...........all of these numbers were accrued in bench minutes so hopefully next year they should increase markedly

Louisville -8 points 4 rebounds
South Carolina - 2 points 3 rebounds
Stanford - 8 point 8 rebounds
UCLA - 6 points 5 rebounds
Maryland - 18 points 12 rebounds
Notre Dame - 17 points 8 rebounds
Texas - 16 points 3 rebounds

Reaction Score
Maybe I have missed in earlier games, but I noticed watching the SMU games that Z used a baby hook several times with good success which should really help her offensive game against other bigs in the NCAA Tournament.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Maybe I have missed in earlier games, but I noticed watching the SMU games that Z used a baby hook several times with good success which should really help her offensive game against other bigs in the NCAA Tournament.
You didn’t miss it earlier. It’s a brand new weapon that Z’s probably worked on for countless hours in practice with CD.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
You didn’t miss it earlier. It’s a brand new weapon that Z’s probably worked on for countless hours in practice with CD.

Geno's plan in action. Team and player development is all geared to tournament time. And there is always a few new wrinkles Geno has up his sleeve.

Reaction Score
I was most pleased that Z stayed near the basket and the lane...where her 6'6" and long arms are a dynamic weapon with offensive and defensive rebounds, shot blocking or disrupting and scoring. I get that she had "success" at Duke from 3pt range, and supposedly "hits them in practice"...but 15.6% from 3 when it "counts" is not what UConn needs when they have 36%, 41+%, 46+% and 49+% from four other players ... of which 2 or 3 or 4 will be most likely be on the court at the same time as her...unless UConn is so far ahead that the Subs are finishing things up. In NCAA Tournament UConn will benefit from Z making her layups, her new baby hook shot, offensive/defensive rebounding, making mid range jump shots and out to the foul line. Make some of those shots and that will bring the oppositions big(s) out to guard her and open up areas for others. And, of course having her in the lane near the basket will be a defensive force that will be very disruptive to opposing players shooting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom