The train's not stopping here. | The Boneyard

The train's not stopping here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I'm as happy as anybody (well, as much as anybody not in the locker room - they should be happier) that we've completed the long hard road to mediocrity. And I don't want to undersell it. You should all remember the "is this rock bottom?" discussions we were having over the last couple of seasons. What makes this win really special to me though is that it reinforces the belief that 6 or 7 or 8 win seasons is not a ceiling. Big things are coming for this program and they're coming in the not too distant future. If you go back to the expectations thread, some of us were trying to put a number of wins on it and some us were talking about passing the eye test, but we were all looking for some assurance that the team was on a positive trajectory. I think we've gotthat in spades with two games left to play.

Last edited:

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Agree 100%. One conversation point is where this win ranks compared to the USF and ND wins. Those were milestones for the program, to be sure, and at the time maybe one could make a case that the fans should expect the upward trajectory to continue. But in hindsight I think we can say that probably would not have been a good bet under RE/Hathaway plus the instability of the BE. The USF and ND wins were big, but they were also the ceiling at the time. Once we got to the Fiesta, we needed a miracle play in the third quarter to cut it to a one score game, but that play never happened and the head coach had already planned his exit. The win against Houston was a restoration of a tradition of the dominant UConn defense carrying the day, and hopefully re-establishing the Rent as a place you don't just walk into expecting a win (or whatever the Reece Davis quote is). But more than that - with reinvigorated recruiting, the Houston win is an indicator of better, bigger games to come in the future. I'd like to have UConn beat Temple and its bowl opponent if only to set the media narrative for next season a little higher. And it may take more than 2-3 years after all to get there. We'll need the AAC to solidify it's position as P5.5 and not lose schools for at least a few years. But UConn will be ranked again, relevant again, alive again. And when we have a dominant offense to go with the dominant defense, hooooooo boy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek
Top Bottom