The top lineups in the Big East by 'Net Rating':

Reaction Score
Interesting to see our best lineup and the best in big east be:
Diarra
Spencer
Newton
Karaban
Samson

Obviously sample sizes are small, but I remember stating our offense looked better with Samson over Clingan due to his vertical spacing after the Kansas game and someone said the eye test and data completely disagrees with that take.

Attachments

• IMG_7809.png
    IMG_7809.png
    841.1 KB · Views: 418
Reaction Score
Well, with Castle out innjured most of the year it tells us two things. That, overall, we're more effective with Diarra on the floor than Ball, which if you've watched shouldn't be a surprise, and that we're more effective with Johnson on the floor than Clingan which would have been shocking before the season started but given how much DC seems athletically limited with the foot issues is not shocking if you've been watching.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Well, with Castle out innjured most of the year it tells us two things. That, overall, we're more effective with Diarra on the floor than Ball, which if you've watched shouldn't be a surprise, and that we're more effective with Johnson on the floor than Clingan which would have been shocking before the season started but given how much DC seems athletically limited with the foot issues is not shocking if you've been watching.
That is what frightens opposing coaches. A healthy in shape Clingan and a healthy experienced Castle replacing Samson and Diarra should send shivers down opposing teams.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I'm going to let Hurley make lineup decisions

And every player mentioned in this thread is part of our rotation

Reaction Score
Creighton and Marquette both have very good lineups/rotations as well. Big East season closing in on us, will be fun.

Obviously a healthy DC and Castle makes ours pretty damn good and our bench as well.

Reaction Score
Interesting to see our best lineup and the best in big east be:
Diarra
Spencer
Newton
Karaban
Samson

Obviously sample sizes are small, but I remember stating our offense looked better with Samson over Clingan due to his vertical spacing after the Kansas game and someone said the eye test and data completely disagrees with that take.
By this metric the Providence starters are better than ours.

We should probably wait until samples are more than 30-60 mins, and the competition levels off (part way through conference play) to use these. Some teams have played 3-5 top 25 teams, and some have played 1. That skews the data.

Reaction Score
Really don’t agree that we’re more effective with Diarra than ball on the floor. I think Diarra is huge off the bench in small spurts but whenever he gets more than that he tends to play on tilt and starts getting sloppy. Ball’s continued offensive improvements means his ceiling this season is way higher and his defense isn’t Diarra’s level but is more than acceptable. Love Diarra as a spark plug but don’t want to see him taking any more minutes up

Reaction Score
Really don’t agree that we’re more effective with Diarra than ball on the floor. I think Diarra is huge off the bench in small spurts but whenever he gets more than that he tends to play on tilt and starts getting sloppy. Ball’s continued offensive improvements means his ceiling this season is way higher and his defense isn’t Diarra’s level but is more than acceptable. Love Diarra as a spark plug but don’t want to see him taking any more minutes up
Solo shoots 35% from the field and 26% from three. He gathers 2.5 rebounds and has 8 assists in 10 games.
Diarra shots 45% from the field and 26% from three. He gathers 3.2 rebounds and has 28 assist in 10 games.

Ball plays 7 more minutes a game than Diarra. Defensively, Hurley considers the second best defender on the team after Castle. Hurley has also said that fans don't appreciate how important Diarra is to the team.

That takes nothing away from Solo. He is a star in the making but needs a little more time to reach that level.

Reaction Score
But you’re not arguing with me — you’re arguing with the metrics. (Which, I fully agree and understand, are not perfect.)

Reaction Score
Solo shoots 35% from the field and 26% from three. He gathers 2.5 rebounds and has 8 assists in 10 games.
Diarra shots 45% from the field and 26% from three. He gathers 3.2 rebounds and has 28 assist in 10 games.

Ball plays 7 more minutes a game than Diarra. Defensively, Hurley considers the second best defender on the team after Castle. Hurley has also said that fans don't appreciate how important Diarra is to the team.

That takes nothing away from Solo. He is a star in the making but needs a little more time to reach that level.
Everything you said is right, but they also play different positions. Diarra plays on the ball (1) in our offense, and Ball plays much more of a wing (2/3). Makes it hard to compare assist numbers effectively.
HD's value is as a 10 min bench replacement for Castle/Newton. Don't turn the ball over and put pressure on the opposing point guard. Ball is being relied upon to actually score the ball from at least 2 levels, and guard 1-3.
As far as the shooting goes, per minute Hassan takes far more 2's per min, and way less 3's. Ball is a legit threat from 3 (despite the low percentage, which is increasing rapidly lately), and needs to be guarded which keeps us spaced well.

Reaction Score
That is what frightens opposing coaches. A healthy in shape Clingan and a healthy experienced Castle replacing Samson and Diarra should send shivers down opposing teams.
I continue to look at that cautiously. DC has a lot of developing to do and Castle is a freshman. Diarra brings a lot of energy and Samson seems ready to break out. I’m not sure who I’d hear more at this point.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I continue to look at that cautiously. DC has a lot of developing to do and Castle is a freshman. Diarra brings a lot of energy and Samson seems ready to break out. I’m not sure who I’d hear more at this point.
Based on those factors the outcome might not be fulfilled. But the potential ceiling is what I was considering. And I'm sure other coaches are considering it.

Mine is a prediction with the best case outcome. Yours may be the reality we have to accept.

Reaction Score

Sure. I think they’re both exactly where they should be in terms of minutes though, as Diarra is effective in small doses and I think his stats would take a huge hit given more time. Upside wise Solo is the better play and helps the team almost equally so it makes perfect sense to me for him to continue to see more minutes.

Reaction Score
But you’re not arguing with me — you’re arguing with the metrics. (Which, I fully agree and understand, are not perfect.)
Right but it’s all contextual. If those same metrics say the lineup is better with SJ than DC in there do you similarly buy it?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom