The Texas Pipeline | The Boneyard

The Texas Pipeline

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Of all the challenges that Geno & his staff face in maintaining the preeminent WCBB program in the nation, the most daunting, IMO, is the challenge of recruiting top level student athletes year after year. Yes, Uconn offers top talent the best opportunity to develop their ability and win championships, but there are other factors: educational goals, campus environment and proximity to home.

While Geno pretty much has his pick of the top talent, in what I would refer to as his "backyard", to include all of New England, NY, PA, NJ & DE, the nexus of talent has been shifting West & South for a number of years. In 2012, Geno recruited Stewie from Syracuse, NY. From 2012 through the 2018 class, according to ESPN, Stewie remains the only top 10 recruit from Uconn's backyard.

During that same period of time other areas of the country have truly established themselves as hotbeds of girls HS BB, and no area is hotter than the state of TX with no less than 16 top 10 recruits between 2012 to 2018, more than any other state by far, With a number of top college programs in Waco, Austin & College Station it can be very difficult to pull top talent out of TX (i. e. Lauren Cox).

So in 2012 when Geno convinced a diminutive PG out of Glen Heights, TX to make the long journey to Storrs to play BB it was the beginning of something big. 4 years later, Mo returned to TX, the conquering hero, 4 national championships, 2-time AA, Lieberman award winner, nations top defensive player and burgeoning star for the WNBA's San Antonio Stars back in her home state.

Of course Mo will be followed by Lexi Gordan and Charli Collier; and maybe Christyn Williams from nearby AR, and hopefully Lexi's little sister and then fill-in-the blank ___ in what I hope is a continuous migration of top talent through the Texas pipeline to Storrs.

One final thought: I can not imagine how difficult it has been for Charli Collier and her mother to deal with the loss of a beloved father & husband. Clearly, from her comments announcing her decision to come to Uconn, Charli and her mother are very close. Mrs. Collier must be an extraordinary woman to support her daughter's decision to go to college half-way across the country....truly remarkable...

Reaction Score
Did Geno have to convince Mo to come to UConn? I thought he had said the big three's recruitment was pretty easy. I remember Mo saying that once she visited UConn she just knew it was the place for her which seems to be a common theme among the top rated recruits.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Since Mo wasn't a walk-on, I believe it's fair to assume there was some level of convincing that took place.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I do think regional recruiting runs in cycles - at the current moment TX seems to be the hottest location, especially for post/forwards, but California, Florida and the deep south, the Atlantic region, and the Midwest have all had there days, as has the NY-Philly-DC corridor. NE because of the HS rules seems to lag behind other areas. There are some signs that the TX stranglehold on post players is waning - some highly regarded folks in the NY-DC area coming up and one even coming out of MA.

The other thing that I find surprising whenever I stumble on the numbers is how few players have actually passed through Uconn or really any other school - if you figure an average of three recruits per year - 30 years of coaching = 90 players successfully recruited - with maybe 30 states being serious sources of basketball players (population and vibrant HS girls basketball) - you're going to average something like three per state over the thirty years. TX is starting to look like sort of average hunting ground at this point! :)

Reaction Score
Since Mo wasn't a walk-on, I believe it's fair to assume there was some level of convincing that took place.

iF I recall incorrectly Geno told her to go home and stay there--and she begged him for bus fare to Conn. if Geno did nothing more than put on his charm--he induced her, swayed her, enticed her to join his program---I have no doubt that she was long ago liking what she saw in Ct. But kids that age--thinking of being 1300 miles from home--a tiny miscue could mean disaster. She was, like Charli, very gutsy to take a chance on Geno and his program.

Reaction Score
Of all the challenges that Geno & his staff face in maintaining the preeminent WCBB program in the nation, the most daunting, IMO, is the challenge of recruiting top level student athletes year after year. Yes, Uconn offers top talent the best opportunity to develop their ability and win championships, but there are other factors: educational goals, campus environment and proximity to home.
One final thought: I can not imagine how difficult it has been for Charli Collier and her mother to deal with the loss of a beloved father & husband. Clearly, from her comments announcing her decision to come to Uconn, Charli and her mother are very close. Mrs. Collier must be an extraordinary woman to support her daughter's decision to go to college half-way across the country....truly remarkable...

I think Charli mentioned how impressed she was with the camaraderie of the UConn players and that she really felt at home there.............she's going to be member of a new family and support system which will become a major part of her life going forward........says a whole lot about the personal qualities of the players and the coaching staff that recruited them

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

While Geno pretty much has his pick of the top talent, in what I would refer to as his "backyard", to include all of New England, NY, PA, NJ & DE, the nexus of talent has been shifting West & South for a number of years. In 2012, Geno recruited Stewie from Syracuse, NY. From 2012 through the 2018 class, according to ESPN, Stewie remains the only top 10 recruit from Uconn's backyard.

During that same period of time other areas of the country have truly established themselves as hotbeds of girls HS BB, and no area is hotter than the state of TX with no less than 16 top 10 recruits between 2012 to 2018, more than any other state by far, With a number of top college programs in Waco, Austin & College Station it can be very difficult to pull top talent out of TX (i. e. Lauren Cox).

So in 2012 when Geno convinced a diminutive PG out of Glen Heights, TX to make the long journey to Storrs to play BB it was the beginning of something big. 4 years later, Mo returned to TX, the conquering hero, 4 national championships, 2-time AA, Lieberman award winner, nations top defensive player and burgeoning star for the WNBA's San Antonio Stars back in her home state.

Of course Mo will be followed by Lexi Gordan and Charli Collier; and maybe Christyn Williams from nearby AR, and hopefully Lexi's little sister and then fill-in-the blank ___ in what I hope is a continuous migration of top talent through the Texas pipeline to Storrs.

As every parent knows, when their baby leaves the nest for the first and often last time, it is traumatic for both parent and child. Mostly I think for the parent. The decision Charli made was extremely brave. For the parent knowing your baby is in good hands helps, but your baby is still 2000 miles away. Far away soon after the death of the spouse you loved. Those "Mommy I hate it here, I want to come home" phone calls will be a real test for both.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As every parent knows, when their baby leaves the nest for the first and often last time, it is traumatic for both parent and child. Mostly I think for the parent. The decision Charli made was extremely brave. For the parent knowing your baby is in good hands helps, but your baby is still 2000 miles away. Far away soon after the death of the spouse you loved. Those "Mommy I hate it here, I want to come home" phone calls will be a real test for both.
In theory, every parent wants what's best for their child. In practice, some time, it can be a lot harder than you think, particularly when it means that your child is going to be a long way from home.

For example, while I am not saying that USC is not the best place for Aja Wilson, I do believe that if it were not for geography, she would be at Storrs right now playing for Geno. As it is, for home games, Wilson's parents, who live in Columbia, SC, can have an early supper, drive on over to campus to catch the opening tip, give their little girl a hug after the game and be home in plenty of time to catch the late news.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
In theory, every parent wants what's best for their child. In practice, some time, it can be a lot harder than you think, particularly when it means that your child is going to be a long way from home.

For example, while I am not saying that USC is not the best place for Aja Wilson, I do believe that if it were not for geography, she would be at Storrs right now playing for Geno. As it is, for home games, Wilson's parents, who live in Columbia, SC, can have an early supper, drive on over to campus to catch the opening tip, give their little girl a hug after the game and be home in plenty of time to catch the late news.
Agreed, agreed. I always thought her personality and goals fit SC so well. And yes, regionality was the final straw. Couldn't be happier for her and her parents who get to see their little girl as much as possible.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
maybe Mom will move to Connecticut, who knows!

Also, a change of scenery isn't bad for a young person who wants to see what the rest of the world is like... she grew up just by verballing to play so far away. I applaud her, DT, Morgan, Maya, KML, Crockett, MoJett, JessMoore, Tiffany, Gabby, Shea, Crystal Dangerfield and anyone else who is a plane-ride away from Storrs

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Also, a change of scenery isn't bad for a young person who wants to see what the rest of the world is like... she grew up just by verballing to play so far away. I applaud her, DT, Morgan, Maya, KML, Crockett, MoJett, JessMoore, Tiffany, Gabby, Shea, Crystal Dangerfield and anyone else who is a plane-ride away from Storrs
I am reminded that Dwight David Eisenhauer's mom, a long time passafist, who was saddened by her son's decision to attend Army, moved from her home in Kansas to a home not far from campus in West Point, NY, so that she could look after her boy.

Reaction Score

Svet half the world away.

Reaction Score
I am reminded that Dwight David Eisenhauer's mom, a long time passafist, who was saddened by her son's decision to attend Army, moved from her home in Kansas to a home not far from campus in West Point, NY, so that she could look after her boy.
oldude, I love that punned spelling! It so resembles something James Joyce would write, like a funeral as a fun-for-all.

Reaction Score
I do think regional recruiting runs in cycles - at the current moment TX seems to be the hottest location, especially for post/forwards
Of course, the South is now a "hot" (pardon the pun) place to go to school anyway. lots of articles about how southern schools are attracting northern students. so WCBB players are just another part of this southern migration.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
oldude, I love that punned spelling! It so resembles something James Joyce would write, like a funeral as a fun-for-all.
Bags,
You can actually find that spelling in the Urban Dictionary.

Definition: someone who refuses to fight except in self-defense.

My understanding is that Ike's mom would kick your tail if you messed with her

Reaction Score
It's only FUN FOR ALL if you are not the one in the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom