The Texas Myth? | The Boneyard

The Texas Myth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When they were together in the SWC and Big 12, the impression was that Texas dominated the state and Texas A&M were just the Aggies - a strong program with incredibly passionate alums but a very distant 2nd in terms of power, influence and support (i.e. Texas got all of the casual fans). Now we see articles like this: SEC dominated Houston TV market in 2015
and Texas is making statements about being willing to trade Houston a place in the Big 12 for a new UT-Houston campus. Make no mistake, in the old days UT would have just plowed forward with its plans undeterred by something as irrelevant as UH.

That leads one to wonder whether Texas influence and support has waned a bit. College Station is a little closer to Houston than Austin (90 miles versus 150 miles), but that doesn't explain why SEC games would be leading the Houston airwaves. Houston/Austin/College Station are virtually neighbors in a state more than 800 miles across. Is the supposed "trade" with UH really a way for Texas to save face because, as the state flagship university, it can't deliver the 2nd largest media market in its own state?

Reaction Score
When they were together in the SWC and Big 12, the impression was that Texas dominated the state and Texas A&M were just the Aggies - a strong program with incredibly passionate alums but a very distant 2nd in terms of power, influence and support (i.e. Texas got all of the casual fans). Now we see articles like this: SEC dominated Houston TV market in 2015
and Texas is making statements about being willing to trade Houston a place in the Big 12 for a new UT-Houston campus. Make no mistake, in the old days UT would have just plowed forward with its plans undeterred by something as irrelevant as UH.

That leads one to wonder whether Texas influence and support has waned a bit. College Station is a little closer to Houston than Austin (90 miles versus 150 miles), but that doesn't explain why SEC games would be leading the Houston airwaves. Houston/Austin/College Station are virtually neighbors in a state more than 800 miles across. Is the supposed "trade" with UH really a way for Texas to save face because, as the state flagship university, it can't deliver the 2nd largest media market in its own state?
One other reason may be Hurricane Katrina. After Katrina they bussed a lot of people from New Orleans to Houston...when I went there with the FDNY we saw guys talking to family members on the phone that had been relocated to Houston. When they were evacuated because of a incoming Hurricane...many of them decided to stay isn the Houston area (don't believe me check the crime statistics pre and post Katrina in Houston..crime spiked after they took in all the people from New Orleans). With the influx of diehard LSU/SEC fans added to the close distance of College Station to Houston...it is the perfect storm for the SEC to win the ratings war in that market. That won't change if Houston gets into the B-12 either.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I've been here 30 years. Texas is slightly more popular than A&M in Houston, but that support may be slipping a little. A&M's move to the SEC was pure genius because it gave A&M a clear identity. They were no longer Texas' little brother. And it gave the fans in Houston better match ups ("A&M vs. Florida" or "Texas vs. Kansas State").

The rise of Houston has also cut a tiny bit into the Longhorn's presence in Houston.

Texas does not want the Big 12 to risk falling behind in the Houston market. Allowing Houston into the Big 12 may prevent that. It will also allow Texas to build a campus in Houston, something they've wanted to do for many years. They're possibly killing two birds with one stone by admitting Houston.

Just my opinion as a very casual observer.

Reaction Score
I've been here 30 years. Texas is slightly more popular than A&M in Houston, but that support may be slipping a little. A&M's move to the SEC was pure genius because it gave A&M a clear identity. They were no longer Texas' little brother. And it gave the fans in Houston better match ups ("A&M vs. Florida" or "Texas vs. Kansas State").

The rise of Houston has also cut a tiny bit into the Longhorn's presence in Houston.

Texas does not want the Big 12 to risk falling behind in the Houston market. Allowing Houston into the Big 12 may prevent that. It will also allow Texas to build a campus in Houston, something they've wanted to do for many years. They're possibly killing two birds with one stone by admitting Houston.
Do you think they may end up having a stalemate with OU/Boren over converting the LHN into a B12N over this? It seems as though the Texas schools have played their hand early and have gone all in.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Do you think they may end up having a stalemate with OU/Boren over converting the LHN into a B12N over this? It seems as though the Texas schools have played their hand early and have gone all in.

I thought the idea of a Big 12 network was dropped for now.

It will be great drama to see if Texas has enough pull to get Houston in. The other schools may have withdrawn the Big 12 network idea (allowing Texas to keep the LHN) in exchange for not adding a fifth Texas school (?). I don't know. There are many people here who follow these issues closer than I do.

Reaction Score

Do you mean end up having a stalemate or end the stalemate? They already have a stalemate.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I wonder if they're going to add four schools because the other schools have conceded adding Houston for Texas, but then the other schools will get three more "non-Texas" schools. That would give the schools outside of Texas a 9-5 majority, for whatever that is worth.

I'm just thinking out loud.

Reaction Score
Do you mean end up having a stalemate or end the stalemate? They already have a stalemate.
Right now they agree on expansion...stalemate happens when UT demands the UH be included behind closed doors.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Texas has stunk for a few years pretty simple.

Of course the SEC is going to outrate the Big 12 when Texas stinks. They have a lot more compelling games played by better teams.

The SEC also plays on ESPN and CBS while the Big 12 has half their games on FS1 and regional FSNs.

Note 14 of the top 20 games were OTA - and none of the cable games came from a network other than ESPN.

Reaction Score
Texas has stunk for a few years pretty simple.

Of course the SEC is going to outrate the Big 12 when Texas stinks. They have a lot more compelling games played by better teams.

The SEC also plays on ESPN and CBS while the Big 12 has half their games on FS1 and regional FSNs.

Note 14 of the top 20 games were OTA - and none of the cable games came from a network other than ESPN.
Exactly this. And its because of this that Texas has a lot to lose if the Big12 crumbles. Adding Houston does nothing.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You have to really want to watch a game on FS1 or a regional FSN. Their broadcasts are terrible. FSN games look like they are played at night and someone forgot to turn on the lights.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

Just my opinion as a very casual observer.

I believe UH is planning to or has already sued UT trying to prevent them from opening a Houston campus. I don't blame them. Take a look at the rather mercurial rise of UTSA in athletics. Not long ago, the Roadrunners didn't have a football team. Now they're an FBS program in C-USA. Houston has enough trouble generating support as it is. Having to compete against a local UT which will undoubtedly play football sooner than later could be a disaster for them, especially if they do not get out of the G5.

Even though Deloss Dodds is long gone as the AD in Austin, I still think there are enough old time UT donors and fans that were around during the SWC era. They remember getting waxed by UH on several occasions in football. The overall series currently stands at 9-13-2 in UT's favor, however at least two of UT's wins have occurred since the SWC breakup in 1995, so in reality, the Coogs played the T Sippers almost dead even in SWC play. That still sticks in the craw of a lot of Longhorn fans. Whether that's enough for them to give the thumbs down on an expansion vote for UH remains to be seen.

Reaction Score
Exactly this. And its because of this that Texas has a lot to lose if the Big12 crumbles. Adding Houston does nothing.
The B1G, the SEC, and the Pac12 would take Texas in a heartbeat. They want to keep the LHN though. Just like ND, more important than everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom