The Team | The Boneyard

The Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I see that people are giving solo threads to Shabazz, Boat, Daniels, etc. But let me take this opportunity to highlight who I thought really improved their game tonight; the team! Every player looked better than before, maybe with the sole exception of RJ (who didn't play horribly, but not his "A" game). Better on the boards, better on the bounce, better on the pass.....just better.

And this was a DePaul team that was much better than the DePaul teams of the last 6 years or so. Granted, we have faced tougher competition so far this year, and we will face tougher competition down the road, but our team is improving in every facet of the game. The way they all got after the boards tonight shows that the work in practice is paying dividends now. I'm happy to be a Husky... :cool:

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Great post. I thought Boatright was a little too flashy for my taste, but we got the W and that's all that matters. Need to keep this train rolling.

SJ

Reaction Score
I think Boatright has matured a lot and was flashy but not to the detriment of the team. He got the crowd going and seems much more in control this season. But, yes, the TEAM was great. And yay rebounding!!!

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
lets have a party we jsut took super depaul to woodshed, who cares if we laid egg to marquete

Losing on the road in overtime to a team that is 11-3 while that team received the benefit of a freak 4-point swing in error is apparently "laying an egg." If you are looking for a good brand of laxative, I'd suggest Ex-Lax... :rolleyes:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
When Bazz and Boat are both on, we can be very good. If we start getting consistent play from DD, Omar and underneath, we can be scary good.

We know that guard play wins championships. I would love to see what type of havoc this team could create in the post-season, but we know that ain't happening either. I fully agree with those who have said that KO's biggest recruits for next season are Bazz and Boat.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I kind of like the flashy it doesn't show cockiness but confidence and this team needs to have that swagger and confidence previous teams have had due to thr lack of size. I'm waiting for bazz or boat to get like kea or taliek. I do like how boat and dd scuffled in practice

Reaction Score
Boat was playing against a Chicago team. He was reminding them of his City greatness.

He gets a pass for showing off.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Great post. I thought Boatright was a little too flashy for my taste, ...

He was too ballhoggy for my tastes. And Omar has got to show us some more intensity. Otherwise, I liked the team ball they played last night.

Reaction Score
boatright too commonly over penetrates, or simply comes down the court calls for a screen and jacks a shot. Im hoping his sophomore to junior year jump parallels napiers, who is balling outrageous.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
They did what they were supposed to do: tromp an inferior team that also had a couple of starters out. My major take away from the game was that when DePaul made a mini run to cut it 12, the team made some stops and got the score back into the 20 range. They didn't wilt, they dug down, made the stops and that fueled the transition game.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
They did what they were supposed to do: tromp an inferior team that also had a couple of starters out. My major take away from the game was that when DePaul made a mini run to cut it 12, the team made some stops and got the score back into the 20 range. They didn't wilt, they dug down, made the stops and that fueled the transition game.
Agreed. That and DD's performance were the two most promising signs for me.

Reaction Score
We need more out of Olander(especially when the game is still in doubt). Thankfully Wolf has given more than what we expected and has become a regular rotation guy and contributor.

Also after the first 10 minutes last night our defense was non existent at the rim. Depaul got a ton of layups. Guys not getting back. Calhoun didn't get back on defense after misses choosing to complain to the ref instead.

Gotta tighten up the D if we are going to win against the better teams.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Im hoping his sophomore to junior year jump parallels napiers, who is balling outrageous.

Or Kemba's sophomore to junior jump. There's a lot of parallels there.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I like this snippet from Borges's column today:

♦ Asked if Boatright was ready for the NBA, a pro scout in attendance emphatically said, “No,” but added that if he stays another year and keeps improving, he could be a lottery pick. Scouts love Boatright’s speed – and so does Ollie.

“He’s one of the fastest guys I’ve ever been around, and I played with Allen Iverson,” the coach said. “Not saying he’s as fast as Allen Iverson, but …”

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
He was too ballhoggy for my tastes. And Omar has got to show us some more intensity. Otherwise, I liked the team ball they played last night.

You're right. Sometimes Boat can go on tandems where he won't pass the ball and take a contested jumper. Drives me crazy haha.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This team could have played flat after last game. That was a gut wrencher between the last second three in reg and the bad call in overtime. But they didn't. I know it's DePaul and they were short handed, but so is UConn between the APR and the defections. Furthermore the significant players of the DePaul team, even shorthanded, had been together for three years. UConn only starts one player who played significant minutes for three years.

I was impressed with the energy and the rebounding.

This was a statement game because the kids held their heads high and they were determined not to get out rebounded. Its hard to judge a team which is missing key components and short handed. But this UConn team is responding to the coach and developing. If the players played that way last season they might have had NC number four. My hats off to KO.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You're right. Sometimes Boat can go on tandems where he won't pass the ball and take a contested jumper. Drives me crazy haha.

Drives me crazy, too. He ignores the open man for an uncontested lay-up to take it in 1 on 3. And makes it! Whaddya ya gonna say?

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Drives me crazy, too. He ignores the open man for an uncontested lay-up to take it in 1 on 3. And makes it! Whaddya ya gonna say?

Nothing, until he starts missing. We won't get as many second chances against a good team. DePaul, quite frankly, sucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom