The team with no shooters | The Boneyard

The team with no shooters

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Is shooting nearly 38% as a team from range. As it stands that’s 82nd nationally. Not great but not dire. Gaffney has looked incredibly smooth. Cole is Cole. Martin and Polley are streaky. Martin currently hot and Polley cold. Akok has been a nice surprise and Jackson hit a couple last night but if we are playing with a low ceiling in Atlantis he may be out of bounds. I feel like we should forget about Whaley as an option TBH. Samson came in with a reputation as a big who could shoot but I’m not seeing it. Maybe he just needs to adjust to the college sight lines.

Oh, and Jordan Hawkins.

We’re going to be fine.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Is shooting nearly 38% as a team from range. As it stands that’s 82nd nationally. Not great but not dire. Gaffney has looked incredibly smooth. Cole is Cole. Martin and Polley are streaky. Martin currently hot and Polley cold. Akok has been a nice surprise and Jackson hit a couple last night but if we are playing with a low ceiling in Atlantis he may be out of bounds. I feel like we should forget about Whaley as an option TBH. Samson came in with a reputation as a big who could shoot but I’m not seeing it. Maybe he just needs to adjust to the college sight lines.

Oh, and Jordan Hawkins.

We’re going to be fine.

Not sure if this is significant, but at least for reference, last years National Champs (Baylor) shot 41.8% from 3 as a team. Gonzaga shot it 36.5% for the season. The other final 4 teams, UCLA and Houston, shot it 36.7% and 36.1%, respectively.

We can be in that range. The game is about the 3 ball now. We don't have to be the best at it. But we got to be able to do it effectively. 38% on the season would be fantastic.

Reaction Score
Allowing Gaffney to assert himself and getting him to play more off ball has helped his game a lot. It lets him just attack and get set 3s. I’d like to see him get even more looks from 3, no reason he can’t hit 37-40% from there. Great option to have off the bench.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Allowing Gaffney to assert himself and getting him to play more off ball has helped his game a lot. It lets him just attack and get set 3s. I’d like to see him get even more looks from 3, no reason he can’t hit 37-40% from there. Great option to have off the bench.
Aggressive Gaffney is good Gaffney. Unsure if he’s supposed to play point or assert himself Gaffney is not a Gaffney we need.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Polley is tied (w RJ) for most 3 point attempts, and he's shot 20.0% YTD. Thus far he is THE worst 3pt shooter on the team. He needs to sit.

Reaction Score
We knew Cole, RJ, Polley and Hawkins could shoot. That wasn't enough. If any of Akok, Whaley, Jackson, and Rese are consistently shooting well it's because of a lot of hard work in the summer. They knew we needed shooters and stepped up.

Reaction Score
Aggressive Gaffney is good Gaffney. Unsure if he’s supposed to play point or assert himself Gaffney is not a Gaffney we need.
Gaffney getting to play alongside RJ and/or Andre helps, especially in transition where can run to the line to spot up for 3s. I like him being that microwave scorer, aggressive player of the bench. We’ll know more after the Bahamas, but he does seem to be playing with a lot of confidence.

Reaction Score
We knew Cole, RJ, Polley and Hawkins could shoot. That wasn't enough. If any of Akok, Whaley, Jackson, and Rese are consistently shooting well it's because of a lot of hard work in the summer. They knew we needed shooters and stepped up.
At this point, I’m not sure Whaley will be able to knock down 3s somewhat consistently. His shot doesn’t look great when he’s attempted them. I’m looking at Akok to be the 4 man who shoots 30-33% from 3 on a decent volume, Whaley doesn’t look to have it in him (happy to be proven wrong).

Reaction Score
The 3pt % numbers are almost bipolar...You have Gaff, AJ, Cole, Reese shooting @40% and up...with Reese @ 70%...and the 3 frosh and IW @ 0%, Polley not much better @20%. I'm really impressed with Gaff, 2nd in attempts to Cole and shooting over 50%

Reaction Score
At this point, I’m not sure Whaley will be able to knock down 3s somewhat consistently. His shot doesn’t look great when he’s attempted them. I’m looking at Akok to be the 4 man who shoots 30-33% from 3 on a decent volume, Whaley doesn’t look to have it in him (happy to be proven wrong).

Whaley's shot doesn't look good, you're right. I think Akok and Rese are probably the best candidates to step up their 3 shooting. Andre I suspect will be a low volume guy, but I hope he can get in the low 30s %.

Reaction Score
Whaley's shot doesn't look good, you're right. I think Akok and Rese are probably the best candidates to step up their 3 shooting. Andre I suspect will be a low volume guy, but I hope he can get in the low 30s %.
Ya I think Rese will be fine, biggest thing for him is taking the right 3s. If he can get to like 35-37%, that’s huge. Akok will have chances, if he can convert 33% from there I think the staff would gladly take that. Andre is a wildcard but I can’t help but look at the FT percentage and just think if he confidently takes them, he can convert a decent percentage. Very curious to see how they structure these line ups against Better comp. I just don’t love Whaley and Sanogo together offensively. Wonder if they platoon them a bit and work in Akok/Tyler Phommachanh/Rese at 4. I’ll be watching for that in Bahamas in crunch time.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Polley is tied (w RJ) for most 3 point attempts, and he's shot 20.0% YTD. Thus far he is THE worst 3pt shooter on the team. He needs to sit.
My bad, the stats i was looking at only included guys who have made a 3 pointer this season - we have a few 0-fers, so worse than Polley. But still, 20% while tied for 1st place on volume isn't a good look.

Reaction Score
In only 3 games this year, Andre has equaled his total # of 3pt shots made last year over 17 games.

And, he didn't even take a 3pt attempt in one of these 3 games.

Reaction Score
Just a reminder.

Shooting 33% from 3 and shooting 50% from 2 produce the almost the same amount of points. Shooting 38% from 3 is like shooting 57% from 2.

In short, 38% from 3 is pretty good. Feel free to check my math. It's often wrong

Reaction Score
Polley is kind of verification of that thing you learn in psyc 101 about how people “see” what they expect to see, rather than what may actually be happening. From a lot of the commentary on how the guy deserves to have his minutes cut, you would never know he was high hand for the Huskies last night - and he did it with only 19 minutes on the floor on a night when his three wasn’t falling. We will absolutely need him at his best for some matchups this season and the best way to get his shot and confidence up is to play him.

Reaction Score
Not sure if this is significant, but at least for reference, last years National Champs (Baylor) shot 41.8% from 3 as a team. Gonzaga shot it 36.5% for the season. The other final 4 teams, UCLA and Houston, shot it 36.7% and 36.1%, respectively.

We can be in that range. The game is about the 3 ball now. We don't have to be the best at it. But we got to be able to do it effectively. 38% on the season would be fantastic.
There are always cbb teams that make runs to F4s and titles who arent the greatest shooting teams. 3s matter more in the NBA than in college. If youre really good defensively, rebound and hit a high % at the ft line youre in great shape to win even if youre in the 30-35% range. This team will be find. We have enough guys that can hit from 3 that at least one of them is bound to be on every night.

Reaction Score
Polley will be fine. We know he can shoot, he'll find his shot again.
I think Polleys problem was he was acting like a spot up shooter waiting for the ball too much. Yesterday he created for himself and the results speak for themselves. I think hes not a very good player defensively but offensively hes far better than he has shown thus far. I hope he keeps looking to create on his own instead of just spotting up and waiting.

Reaction Score

Yes. This. Because there is every reason to think our percentage won’t go down at all when we’re guarded with a different level of athlete.

Reaction Score
Yes. This. Because there is every reason to think our percentage won’t go down at all when we’re guarded with a different level of athlete.
Did he say it wouldn't go down?

Reaction Score
My bad, the stats i was looking at only included guys who have made a 3 pointer this season - we have a few 0-fers, so worse than Polley. But still, 20% while tied for 1st place on volume isn't a good look.
First 2 games were bad, but he’s coming around. We know he can be decent shooter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom