The team we didn't get to know | The Boneyard

The team we didn't get to know

Reaction Score
Most years there is a predictable development by a team. The first month integrates returning starters with new starters, shows who had made progress from last year and gives a glimpse of what the freshmen or transfers can contribute in the coming season. By January and the start of the meat of the in- conference schedule the lineup is mostly set and we fans have a long stretch to see how the 6 to 8 player rotation play.

This year, given co-vid cancellations and reschedules and more importantly injuries, we didn't get to see one lineup through the season but rather a series of patchwork lineups that morphed as players came and went due to injuries. It's only been the last 10 games or so that we've seen the lineup of a fully healthy team and even that is now compromised by the injury Dorka sustained against NC State.

There have been upsides to watching how different players reacted to playing in patchwork lineups, which were ready to do more than expected and how players could adjust to the evolving rotations.

But...regardless of how this team does in the next one or two games, even if they win the NC, I feel that I never got the chance to really get to know this team. Too bad because the team as it is now (including Dorka) would have been so fun to watch for a full season. Hopefully next year will be more normal.

That said, I'm so psyched to see how this team can handle Stanford and, hopefully, SC. Given the circumstances it is amazing we got this far and I look forward to seeing more amazing stuff happen.

Reaction Score
Really? I think we know this team better than most. Think of CD. A typical year, she gets spot duty like she is now. We've seen her perform as a key member of the squad, even leading the team in scoring for a good bit. Are you able to imagine what she'll be able to do next year and beyond?
IMO couldn't have scripted this any better. Geno had so many battlefield decisions, which are actually easier to make. What choices did he have? Play who's healthy. As has been said a million times, now everyone has confidence to perform at the highest level in clutch situations. Lo and behold, PB shows back up. Holy crap. I still see an upside. Can this team actually continue getting better? What if Stanford can't keep up with Azzi and she erupts for 7-8 threes? Haven't seen it yet in a huge game. (Tenn)
I think we know these guys really well! And what about last year? Remember a team of freshmen and juniors fought through the Covid year and made the final 4.

Reaction Score
I think what and one meant was that the team we have now has not had a full season of growth together as a basketball unit ( although they grew together as teammates) and that we will never know what their true potential was. In my view, the only difference it would have made is in the next game or two. We are in the FF and perhaps we would be unbeatable by now without injuries but they have achieved a lot more. They overcame extraordinary adversity just to get here. We don't know the team that could have been but we do know the team that is. I think the feelings for this team are so much more intense by its fans than for any team before because of what the team is.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Most years there is a predictable development by a team. The first month integrates returning starters with new starters, shows who had made progress from last year and gives a glimpse of what the freshmen or transfers can contribute in the coming season. By January and the start of the meat of the in- conference schedule the lineup is mostly set and we fans have a long stretch to see how the 6 to 8 player rotation play.

This year, given co-vid cancellations and reschedules and more importantly injuries, we didn't get to see one lineup through the season but rather a series of patchwork lineups that morphed as players came and went due to injuries. It's only been the last 10 games or so that we've seen the lineup of a fully healthy team and even that is now compromised by the injury Dorka sustained against NC State.

There have been upsides to watching how different players reacted to playing in patchwork lineups, which were ready to do more than expected and how players could adjust to the evolving rotations.

But...regardless of how this team does in the next one or two games, even if they win the NC, I feel that I never got the chance to really get to know this team. Too bad because the team as it is now (including Dorka) would have been so fun to watch for a full season. Hopefully next year will be more normal.

That said, I'm so psyched to see how this team can handle Stanford and, hopefully, SC. Given the circumstances it is amazing we got this far and I look forward to seeing more amazing stuff happen.
So, you are not giving Louisville a chance to beat SC?

Reaction Score
Any team can be beaten given the proper circumstances; SC twice; Stanford 3 times. They are not invincible. I have believed since the tourney began that UCONN is a team of destiny and this NC championship is theirs to take. GO HUSKIES!!! NO. 12

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom