The Team Performance Index and the Notre Dame Game | The Boneyard

The Team Performance Index and the Notre Dame Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
The TPI provided some interesting clues as to how the Notre Dame game might play out, as I pointed out at the time. Our offensive and defensive efficiencies are a notch above all other teams, including Baylor and Notre Dame. Our ball handling metric (which focuses on assists and steals, not unforced errors) led other elite teams. Our rebounding efficiency hangs with all elite teams except Maryland. Our Achilles heel is embodied in the one TPI metric called miscues. Elite teams, Baylor and Notre Dame in particular, do not turn the ball over and benefit at the foul line more than we do.

Before the Notre Dame game I mentioned that those metrics suggest we should win any game handily if we could reverse our miscue misfortunes, because of our superior efficiency on both sides of the ball. Yet those same metrics also suggest we should lose close games to elite teams. The game played out as the metrics suggested it would.

I bring this up again in reaction to the discussion about under performing. Those metrics are the way they are because we have superior talent on a well coached team, but we don't have a dependable lead guard to settle, manage, rally and lead the team in key situations. We are who we are in this regards. Despite complaints about our performance, we played more efficiently than Notre Dame (and Baylor for that matter) just as the metrics predicted we should have. We also kept the other team in it and failed to close out the game, in a sense just as the metrics predicted we should have as well.

I'll say this again ... we can still win the Big East and NCAA Tournaments. We have the efficient potential to win them handily, double digits even ... if we OVER perform in regards to who we are this year in terms of lead guard play and miscues. Of course if we lose, everyone but the team manager will be accused of under performing again. This will be true only if our offensive and defensive efficiencies fall back to the same level of our opponents.

I understand the likely counter to this argument, that given our talent level we should expect a great lead guard to emerge. That's a valid argument for preseason predictions; yet there's more than talent that goes into lead guard play. Thirty games into the season the consistent results don't lie; we are not under performing when our miscues are worse than other elite teams, we are performing as expected. If we overcome that for the postseason, our guards in particular should be saluted for over performing.

Reaction Score
My thought on this is that Bria Hartley should be freed from a scoring expectation and put in the lead guard position with more ball handling responsibility, MJ the back up point. If Hartley gets 6-8 points fine. Her focus should be the settling role, and a high a/to ratio. Let the others do the scoring; let Bria work at managing a reduction of miscues.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
My thought on this is that Bria Hartley should be freed from a scoring expectation and put in the lead guard position with more ball handling responsibility, MJ the back up point. If Hartley gets 6-8 points fine. Her focus should be the settling role, and a high a/to ratio. Let the others do the scoring; let Bria work at managing a reduction of miscues.

I think the future (starting today) came into sharper focus with Moriah's start and only 1 TO.
Hartley's pull up looked potentially deadly and MoJeff's moves inside were a thing of beauty.
I suspect MoJeff will be the starting point from here out with generous playing allotments for the other underclassmen.
IMHO, this is the only way we can win and if Geno commits to finally playing the kids, I will not fault them if they do not succeed in going all the way.

This should have happened months ago.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I think the future (starting today) came into sharper focus with Moriah's start and only 1 TO.
Hartley's pull up looked potentially deadly and MoJeff's moves inside were a thing of beauty.
I suspect MoJeff will be the starting point from here out with generous playing allotments for the other underclassmen.
IMHO, this is the only way we can win and if Geno commits to finally playing the kids, I will not fault them if they do not succeed in going all the way.

Must not comment, must not comment......

Reaction Score
Let's all hope that the Bria we saw today is the one who plays the rest of this seasons' games, that whatever her issues were, they are behind her. That said, I believe the opposite of Jplotinus: Bria permanently at point, especially after the really nice game that MoJeff showed today, is just a wrong idea, IMHO. She is a shooting guard and while UConn may have to use her as a combo guard for now (no guarantee MoJeff will do as well going forward as she did today), she seems to do better if someone else is at point and she has the opportunity to create those wonderful pull-up jumpers.

Reaction Score

I really believe that if it could have happened months ago -- if MoJeff were -- at that point in the season -- able to run the team, she would have been given that responsibility. She has been growing, it's been wonderful to watch, and Geno is rewarding her.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
MoJeff: 5 for 9
Stewie: 9 for 12
Tuck: 4 for 7

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Notre Dame has too many close games this year...seriously interesting point. I mentioned that they play only as hard as they need to to win, saving some gas in the tank for the end of the game if necessary, and there have been several close ones.
I think that this is careless overconfident basketball, and usually that tower can be toppled.
UConn needs to put the pedal to the metal, especially in the second half and shoot lights out, never giving an inch.
Notre Dame is beatable. You just have to realize that you are better than they are, which UConn is.

Reaction Score
I suspect MoJeff will be the starting point from here out.......This should have happened months ago.
I really believe that if it could have happened months ago -- if MoJeff were -- at that point in the season -- able to run the team, she would have been given that responsibility. She has been growing, it's been wonderful to watch, and Geno is rewarding her.
I have to say I agree with tomcat on this one. If you push a player into a situation for which they are not yet ready, often less than wonderful results occur.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

I expect that this is most certainly true and is one of the flaws of people trying to decide what Geno MUST do on the basis of what they don't see in games. There is even more going on that they don't see in practice.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Let's all hope that the Bria we saw today is the one who plays the rest of this seasons' games, that whatever her issues were, they are behind her. That said, I believe the opposite of Jplotinus: Bria permanently at point, especially after the really nice game that MoJeff showed today, is just a wrong idea, IMHO. She is a shooting guard and while UConn may have to use her as a combo guard for now (no guarantee MoJeff will do as well going forward as she did today), she seems to do better if someone else is at point and she has the opportunity to create those wonderful pull-up jumpers.
Bingo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22