The "Take the Training Wheels Off Shirreffs" Thread | The Boneyard

The "Take the Training Wheels Off Shirreffs" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Lets not talk about that abhorent fake fg call and instead focus on what we learned(and what the coaches should have learned earlier than the last f87cking drive).

Bryant Shirreffs can be trusted to make plays, and take care of the ball. Stop pounding the rock to protect the QB. Let him air it out, trust him. Our Offense is in good hands.

That is all.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
that is an absolutely excellent observation. we still demonstrate a lack of confidence at key moments....

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Lets not talk about that abhorent fake fg call and instead focus on what we learned(and what the coaches should have learned earlier than the last f87cking drive).

Bryant Shirreffs can be trusted to make plays, and take care of the ball. Stop pounding the rock to protect the QB. Let him air it out, trust him. Our Offense is in good hands.

That is all.

Can we trust the receivers? I saw some bad drops.

But yeah, Shirreffs does not have happy feet disease. Seems cool and collected.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
only bad drop I remember was myers getting hit in the gut and dropping it.

Reaction Score

That is all.

I agree. Our strength right now is the QB and WR's. We need to pass more and run less. I know Verducci wants to run the ball a lot, but that's definitely not our strength. I'm tired of watching runs being stuffed time after time. If we can get a good passing game going that can maybe help open up the run game.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I agree. Our strength right now is the QB and WR's. We need to pass more and run less. I know Verducci wants to run the ball a lot, but that's definitely not our strength. I'm tired of watching runs being stuffed time after time. If we can get a good passing game going that can maybe help open up the run game.
we had to pass to run against army -- I think they were just calling it tight to stay close against mizzou. other than the fakes, we called a pretty timid game today.

Reaction Score

Newsome needs at least 50% - 60% of the touches at RB, with Marriner/Johnson splitting the rest(and I like marriner more than Johnson). We have 3 legit receivers w/ Beals, Lucas, Thomas, and Lemelle has made a few plays as well.

Lets do this.

Reaction Score
I keep beating this to death but Johnson looks slow and Arkeel looks great. We need more Shirreffs and more Newsome. Our run game isn't weak, we are just running the wrong back.

RJ bulked up too much. He needs to drop 10-15 lbs to get his mojo back.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Us running the ball even as poorly as we did forced Missouri to play the run instead of just playing a prevent defense against the pass. If our offensive line was any good would win this game easy.

Reaction Score
bmayuc said:
Newsome needs at least 50% - 60% of the touches at RB, with Marriner/Johnson splitting the rest(and I like marriner more than Johnson). We have 3 legit receivers w/ Beals, Lucas, Thomas, and Lemelle has made a few plays as well. Lets do this.

Agreed on Marriner. Has the speed we need as well.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Not sure if RJ or the run blocking is the problem... Either way it's a problem.

Thought we could have used our TE's more today.

Reaction Score
Newsome needs at least 50% - 60% of the touches at RB, with Marriner/Johnson splitting the rest(and I like marriner more than Johnson). We have 3 legit receivers w/ Beals, Lucas, Thomas, and Lemelle has made a few plays as well.

Lets do this.

I don't think it's fair to blame Johnson for his ineffectiveness today. We know our offensive line is suspect and especially so against a SEC defense. He did hit pay dirt don't forget.

Reaction Score
I love Shirreffs cool and overall game, but he is still inexperienced and learning. He threw to coverage once with someone having broken wide open down the left seam. He forced a pass over the middle later on a third and short where Johnson had space in the flat.

He's playing really well, but I understand why he's still being managed, especially with the OL doing better at pass blocking but still not "there" yet.

Reaction Score
Needs to learn when to throw it away @ times... but that's correctable.

Reaction Score
We still need to run the ball and keep them honest. The offensive line can't handle airing it out all the time

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Can we trust the receivers? I saw some bad drops.

But yeah, Shirreffs does not have happy feet disease. Seems cool and collected.

Most of the bad drops were by the TE's. I think Lucas' drop on a slant was the only bad "miss" by a WR.

Reaction Score
ya no one is saying lets go 5 wide all the time. But the first 55 minutes of the game we were in extremely conservative, basic, easy-to-read, minimal risk offense. and we produced 6 points.

In a game where 10 points wins, we need to mix it up more and take some risks in the passing game.

Reaction Score
Disagree strongly. Shirreffs made some pretty poor throws today. He doesn't have a ton of arm strength and there were a few times he either threw into double coverage or just didn't get it out far enough. He's not Boyle -- he doesn't have that. But he gives you leadership, he takes care of the ball, and he can run with it. He's the best QB we've had in awhile. But nothing he's done makes me think we suddenly want to start airing it out.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Shirreffs did not have his A game today. And that's OK. It was his first against a top defense. But he wasn't over his head and he gave his team a chance to win or tie late. He will be better because of this game.

Reaction Score
Disagree strongly. Shirreffs made some pretty poor throws today. He doesn't have a ton of arm strength and there were a few times he either threw into double coverage or just didn't get it out far enough. He's not Boyle -- he doesn't have that. But he gives you leadership, he takes care of the ball, and he can run with it. He's the best QB we've had in awhile. But nothing he's done makes me think we suddenly want to start airing it out.

He's averaging 8.4 YPA and has 1 turnover through 3 games. That suggests we should be calling plays that utilize his ability to throw more than we have, which is calling 66% run plays.

All im saying is, lets even that up to 50%. Take some downfield shots for christs sake.

Reaction Score
I can't believe I am saying this after uconn scored only a td, but I like Verducci's offense the way it is.

It is not the scheme, it is the (wait for it) lack of execution. Our O Line is extremely inconsistent (being nice here), especially when running up the middle.

Might be time to give a top backup on the interior a series or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom