The Sun's Top Turtle... Alyssa Thomas | The Boneyard

The Sun's Top Turtle... Alyssa Thomas

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Speaking of huge hearts... Alyssa/A.T./ATrain... 17 points (8-11); 9 Assists; 5 Rebounds; 2 Steals; 100 Bruises and floor burns.

You are looking at the big diesel engine that is driving the Sun to being one of the highest-paced offenses in the league. I like to call her "ATrain" for a number of reasons... her power, of course, but also because she is reliable, predictable, and pretty much unstoppable. Snag the defensive rebound, turn and power down the court like a runaway train toward the rim. Everyone in the gym knows what she is going to do and yet she still has this great production. This season, she adds the threat of passing out of that rim run for the assist. She is 6th in the league in assists, right behind Sun-sister Jasmine at 5th.

Half court offense? She has the post ups, hard cuts, and footwork to make that go, also. Did everyone catch the spin move last night that left Stewie flapping around like one of those inflatable tube men you see at car dealerships? Definitely one for the CT Sun 15th anniversary highlight reel.

OK, so I am overlooking two major defects... free throw shooting and TOs. Although her very odd shooting stroke has changed over the years (indicating to me she's working on it), her free throw numbers have steadily decreased. She stands at #2 behind Jewell Loyd for most TOs in the W. Both of these areas are exploitable (especially over a short playoff series format) and have to improve.

Two mental images stick with me from last night... putting Stewie in the spin cycle was one. The other was a loose ball situation where the Storm player dives on the ball but rolls over exposing the ball perched up on her chest... AT comes in like Lawrence Taylor on a QB sack to grab the ball. You could see the "Aw *" look on the Storm player's face as she rolled over and saw AT coming in for the sack.

Lesson to take away? Don't play on the tracks when the ATrain is rolling.

19598567_10155302907290449_6251619020311627969_n.jpg

Reaction Score
I like the ATrain name for her, it does fit. I'm sorry we MD fans didn't think of that when she played there. She had the spin move at MD and the power. She was such a joy to watch for 4 years. She is an incredibly competitive player, does not like to lose. My most memorable play was when she swatted away a shot to end the game against Duke. A walk off swat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog
Top Bottom