The Sun: Post-Media Day Observations | The Boneyard

The Sun: Post-Media Day Observations

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
The Connecticut Sun held their annual Media Day yesterday. Some articles follow.

The Sun took a big step as a team last season but I believe there's a great deal of potential to take another significant step up this season. The keys are: 1) assimilating Chiney while maintaining floor balence 2) Can Jas, AT, JJ, Strick maintain or exceed the levels of performance they reached last season? 3) Bench contribution - the compressed season makes for a brutal schedule. If Coach Curt can comfortably call on 1-12 and get productive play, that will be huge. No one plays harder than Jas and she would benefit greatly if Lexie can give productive minutes. This would also benefit Alex Bentley, who IMO is a better 2 than a 1. Oft-injured Tuck and Banham being able to perform to expectations would provide additional offensive firepower. The Sun are quick and athletic inside but not particularly muscular. Cayla George and Bri Jones could play a big role in reducing JJ's minutes, while supplying some inside muscle. Cayla can also step outside a bit, so balence doesn't suffer. Bri seems to have a pretty sweet shooting stroke but hasn't put it to use much in a WNBA game as yet.

I mentioned 11 players, 6 are posts, 7 if you count Stricklen. Who will the last spot go to? My personal fav is January for the toughness and intensity she plays with. Then there's Romero. Playing well overseas and buddies with a certain unicorn named Alba. Stay tuned...

The Courant
Connecticut Sun Bring Loaded Frontcourt, And High Expecations, Into 2018 Season

The Register
Connecticut Sun star Chiney Ogwumike living a dream

The Bulletin
Sun's Ogwumike ready to return to the court

The Day
Sun rookie Buss works hard, dreams big

Last edited:

psconn

Reaction Score
Anyone care to speculate on a final roster or share their keys to the season? C'mon, I know there's a few Sun fans out there...

Reaction Score
They have more talent in camp this year than last. Waiving Cave and Cowling, both very successful players with impressive stats, shows that. So, they have players and they have a good coach. Avoiding injury and maintaining the fire to succeed are going to be most important.

I expect this to be a tremendously successful season.

Reaction Score
If they start Ogwumike
JThomas/Brown
CWilliams/Bentley/Banham
AThomas/Stricklen
COgwumike/Tuck
JJones/George/BJones

If they bring Ogwumike off the bench
JThomas/Brown
CWilliams/Bentley/Banham
Stricklen/Tuck
AThomas/COgwumike
JJones/George/BJones

I think they messed up by trading the #15 pick for Bria Holmes right before the draft.
Billings would have been a nice fit for this team.

psconn

Reaction Score
If they start Ogwumike
JThomas/Brown
CWilliams/Bentley/Banham
AThomas/Stricklen
COgwumike/Tuck
JJones/George/BJones

If they bring Ogwumike off the bench
JThomas/Brown
CWilliams/Bentley/Banham
Stricklen/Tuck
AThomas/COgwumike
JJones/George/BJones

I think they messed up by trading the #15 pick for Bria Holmes right before the draft.
Billings would have been a nice fit for this team.

I viewed Billings as kind of a "ChineyLite". That's not necessarily a bad thing, but Holmes bring a quite different game to the party and has already proven herself as a capable WNBA role player at the very least. Oddly, her fg % and 3pt % went down from her rookie year to last year despite more minutes and starts. We'll see how she does here. Significantly, Bria WANTS to play and to live in Connecticut, surrounded by family and friends. THAT is very rare in the pool of available players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom